Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Hello! A young Urban Planner/Designer from Sydney

Registered
    Dec 2009

Hello! A young Urban Planner/Designer from Sydney

Hi fellow planners. It's great to find out there is such an active online community for planners worldwide. I am doing a Master of Urban Development and Design in University of New South Wales in Sydney with a background in Town Planning.

I've been living in Sydney for almost nine years but actually I am from China originally. My undergraduate study is in a 5-year Planning program, and I am specializing in Urban Design at the moment because I just love and am good at designing stuffs. I am hoping to get an entry-level position in Urban Design when I finish my master degree but fear that, due to current economy, there are limited opportunities out there for junior designers these days.

Can anyone share some experience or give me some advice for job hunting preferably in Australia?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from New York!

Check out the Planning in Australia subform for advice for job hunting in Australia.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Greetings,

In Australia urban planning and design is pretty much unless you have some experience. I know Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Vietnam have had a steady stream of work. If you are willing to volunteer your time then it might be possbile, but try to develop other skills in areas that may be hiring. I was laid off last year from a small firm in Sydney and left the field after 5 years working there and switched to doing project management for a developer. We went from a shortage to an oversupply rather quickly. Good luck and you are more likely to get a job in planning if you go outside the Metro areas in local government.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Welcome from Illinois! Cyburbia is fortunate to have some members who have experience with planning in Australia.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Howdy

From Western Arizona I would look at Perth in anticipation of even more mineral development in WA.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban designer
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 10 Jul 2013, 5:20 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Sep 2012, 9:55 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Oct 2007, 11:18 AM
  4. what does an urban designer do?
    Make No Small Plans