Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2009

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Christmas 2009

It's started. This is ZG decorated the tree this afternoon. Yes, that's an illuminated parrot on the illuminated palm tree next to the illuminated flamingo wearing a Santa hat. Yes, things are tacky on the panhandle.

And your plans are? You should know this already. It's Black Friday!! We're staying here.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    South of the Bay Area with family for me.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    It's started. This is ZG decorated the tree this afternoon. Yes, that's an illuminated parrot on the illuminated palm tree next to the illuminated flamingo wearing a Santa hat. Yes, things are tacky on the panhandle.

And your plans are? You should know this already. It's Black Friday!! We're staying here.
    Looks like a real short tree.

...ducks and runs...

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Looks like a real short tree.

...ducks and runs...

Bear
    Not even December. Can't be topped (with no nipple reference). Close the thread.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Not even December. Can't be topped (with no nipple reference). Close the thread.
    What? I can't ask if that's an 8' ceiling?!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Really rushing it!

One of my googlegangers, a cousin, posted on FB that she decorated "most" of their several trees last week. And just now it's, "I've finished wrapping almost all the presents."

I am disowning her.

On midnight of my birthday (Dec 10) I'll pull out the Charlie Brown special and post its wretched little photo. "It's Xmastime. I'm done decorating."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    What? I can't ask if that's an 8' ceiling?!
    The living room and the adjoining dining area have 12-foot ceilings.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    One of my googlegangers, a cousin, posted on FB that she decorated "most" of their several trees last week. And just now it's, "I've finished wrapping almost all the presents."

I am disowning her.

On midnight of my birthday (Dec 10) I'll pull out the Charlie Brown special and post its wretched little photo. "It's Xmastime. I'm done decorating."
    Someone after my own heart but it will be December 12th in my case
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004

From an e-mail

Good news is that I truly outdid myself this year with my Christmas decorations.

The bad news is that I had to take him down after 2 days. I had more people come screaming up to my house than ever. Great stories. But two things made me take it down.

First, the cops advised me that it would cause traffic accidents 'cuz they almost wrecked when they drove by.

Second, a 55 year old lady grabbed the 75 pound ladder and almost killed herself putting it against my house! She didn't realize it was fake until she climbed to the top (she was not happy). By the way, she was one of many people who attempted to do that.

Lastly, my yard couldn't take it either. I have more than a few tire tracks where people literally drove up my yard in an effort to "help."

Registered
    Mar 2004

Homer Santa Claus

I guess I'll gave to get Homer out soon and put him in the front yard. He's my one Christmas decoration.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I got the same e-mail that Veloise had posted above.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    She can't stop herself. Maybe we should sell Casa RJ and move into a single-wide up north of here.

On another note, I finished my Christmas shopping today and wrapped all the presents. The Secretion Santa gifts are packaged and will be handed over to the Federal authorities on Monday.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The person hanging from the gutters is a great decoration, if I didn't live in a very low-slung ranch house, I would be willing to see how long that could last on display in my neighborhood!

As for my plans and Christmas prep? I realized yesterday that I am terribly behind in my shopping - and I only have a few people to buy for! I remembered as I was going to sleep last night that my wife needs a stocking (not to mention the stuff to put in to it) and it's probably going to be slim pickings by the time I get to the store! I also have yet to buy any gifts for her or the two nephews I buy for. And I have no idea what to get my mom either (my dad is the only person who I have completed shopping for because he is always the easiest person to buy for). Hopefully the stores aren't too picked over this Friday when I have some time to go shopping.

Last week my sister had to cancel hosting our traditional extended family gathering because her family will now be out of town for a hockey tournament on the chosen day. Over this past weekend, my wife and I were considering stepping in and hosting the event. This would be our first large-scale gathering at our home (as there would be up to about 50 people attending) but thankfully it turns out that the day we were considering doesn't work for my mother and I'm not inviting all these people over to my house if my mom won't even be there. It looks like there may not be an extended family gathering this year now though (though we are considering hosting a much less formal open-house style gathering on New Year's Day for that side of the family).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We gave ourselves an early Christmas present this weekend. We got a food processor at B3. (I've always wanted to use the superscript.) A 20% off coupon and a $10 mail-in rebate made for a great deal. I'm making this recipe on Thursday:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...esecake-236209

The food from the developers and consultants is arriving at work. It started last Thursday. Trays of lunch meats, cheeses, and veggies. Whitman's candies from the law firms.
    The local big-shot architect is noticeably absent. Things must really be tough for him this year. Well, he has a couple of days.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The cheesecake sounds good. I have about exhausted my food processor, but don't want to think about buying another one.

Our boss put a gift box of chocolates on the table last week. She usually returns office gifts, or sends the gift-giver a check for gifts.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We gave ourselves an early Christmas present this weekend. We got a food processor at B3. (I've always wanted to use the superscript.) A 20% off coupon and a $10 mail-in rebate made for a great deal. I'm making this recipe on Thursday:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...esecake-236209

The food from the developers and consultants is arriving at work. It started last Thursday. Trays of lunch meats, cheeses, and veggies. Whitman's candies from the law firms.
    The local big-shot architect is noticeably absent. Things must really be tough for him this year. Well, he has a couple of days.
    You are lucky. Due to NJ's stringent anti-corruption laws we are not able to accept anything that has a value over $5. If we receive something it has to be turned in, a judgment rendered in regards to value, and if it exceeds it then it is either returned if it's a non-food item and if it is a food item it is donated to a food bank. Ho ho ho.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Those of you that are supervisors/managers/directors of divisions or departments, do you give your employees gifts?

Me? Baa Humbug. (This question came out of a PM from TO.) Do ya'll expect something from us? I sure don't expect anything from my employees. And if you work in a large organization, it's financially prohibitive. What do I look like, Donald Trump? (Don't answer that.) I figure my gift was hosting the xmas party.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Do ya'll expect something from us? I sure don't expect anything from my employees.
    I don't expect something from my supervisor, nor do I buy him (or her) anything. I have enough people to buy for.

My husband's boss, who has 6 subordinates, gave each a $15 dunkin donuts giftcard and a gag gift that represented their contributions to the team or reflected certain aspects of their personalities. He put a lot of thought into it and presented them in front of each other so it was also a way to recognize their hard work.

Those of you that are supervisors/managers/directors of divisions or departments, do you give your employees gifts?

Me? Baa Humbug. (This question came out of a PM from TO.) Do ya'll expect something from us? I sure don't expect anything from my employees. And if you work in a large organization, it's financially prohibitive. What do I look like, Donald Trump? (Don't answer that.) I figure my gift was hosting the xmas party.
    I've got a very small team: a planner and an administrative assistant. They work their butts off for me and I appreciate it. Plus, they haven't gotten a raise in years (me either). So, yeah, I comped them ever since I took over (last year). They got me a gift card, but they came out on the better end of the deal, which is fine. I do make a lot more than they do.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Merry Christmas

Nice! My company changed their plans......originally we were going to work a half-day on the day before Christmas, Last week we announced a change to that plan, now everybody gets a 4-day weekend.

Katie's office is open a half-day. Snicker, snicker, snicker.

When this Bear was a young'n our family (after the "demise" of the Santa rumor) would open gifts on Christmas Eve. That tradition continues, although it will be another very quiet event. Katie, this Bear, her son, her son's GF. Lest we forget the animals.....Molly, Tazz, White Thing, and Domino.

Katie will probably motor in to inner-ring suburb of Toledo, Maumee, to visit with her sister and neice. Probably Saturday. On Saturday evening we plan to make an all-important holiday pilgrimage to.....Loma Linda.

I will be doing all the cooking and baking for Christmas Day. Honey-glazed ham, scalloped potatoes, vegies, biscuits, apple crisp. Probably whip-up some bean soup later in the weekend.
    _____

Workplace gifting? Not me. I pass out zero gifts and I expect zero gifts.
    _____

Merry Christmas to all my friends in that fun theme park, Cyburbialand.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    The cheesecake sounds good....
    Here are my results from this morning. This is just out of the oven.

This one after it's frosted and topped with pecans.

The taste test is tomorrow. Maybe I should go to work for my son in Berkeley as a pastry chef?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Nope....

I didn't do anything this year. I figure my stocking the men's and women's bathroon with decent hand soap throughout the year and bringing stuff like donuts and bagels once a month is enough.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    RJ, that does look good! I think that being a pastry chef would be fun.

One year, I gave my sister a home made white chocolate raspberry cheesecake tor Christmas, in a basket with the ingredients for an Italian meal. I used a pound of premium white chocolate for it. I couldn't believe that I saw the uneaten half still her in refrigerator in June of the next year.

There are two boxes of some kind of gift sitting unopened on a desk in our office. They came from a site contractor, and the boss plans on returning them via UPS when the guy brings the next delivery. I typed a note to go with them, and we hope that she packs it with the return.

I can only imagine how the sender will feel if the gifts go back (to the company that sent them) and we don't acknowledge them at all.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    RJ, that does look good! I think that being a pastry chef would be fun.....
    Off-topic:
    It's an easy recipe. Just be certain the cream cheese is at room temperature before you you mix it with the other ingredients.
    Trust me on that one.

Registered
    May 2004
    Off-topic:
    It's an easy recipe. Just be certain the cream cheese is at room temperature before you you mix it with the other ingredients.
    Trust me on that one.
    To expedite things...you can break the CC into smaller pieces. Or place it in a bowl on a warm stove (here kitty!).

My mama's recipe involved stirring granulated sugar into the CC. Yep, if things are cold, it takes longer.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What is Christmas to you?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 23 Dec 2011, 4:44 PM
  2. Christmas Already ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 02 Nov 2010, 10:10 AM
  3. Replies: 19