Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone familiar with NYC DOT hiring process?

Anyone familiar with NYC DOT hiring process?

Hi. I was offered a position by the NYC Department of Transportation back in late June 2009. It is already the end of the year. However, they tell me that they are still currently processing my hiring paperwork. I asked them if there is any way to speed it up but they replied that all positions take this long. In October my paperwork was submitted to OMB for the final approval and the person at DOT told me that they are not allowed to contact OMB regarding my status. They can only wait and they don't know for how long.

Does anyone who work for the NYC DOT or another division of the NYC gov't can tell me if this is normal? How long does it usually take to hire someone? It's been several months already!!! It's a great position and I was very happy when I got the offer after a 1-year job search. However, I am starting to have doubts about the positon and I'm not sure if I should just look for another position. The job market is so tough right now. Any advices??

Thank you.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    The NYC agencies are notorious for this. A friend of mine works for NYC SBS and had to wait 3-4 months from initial hiring to actually starting his job. He actually took a job as a food runner in the mean time to make ends meet. Someone else that I know was given a job offer from HPD that was later rescinded. It's inexcusable to put a new hire through such terrible hassle, but it's how they operate.

I would keep my eyes open for something else in case they pull something like that on you... especially since the mayor gave the order for all city agencies to cut 10% from their budgets not too long ago. Best of luck.

Thanks. I don't understand why they need to take so long. And they don't tell me what is going on either. Everytime I call to ask they just tell me I need to keep waiting. In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for other positions. But it's just tough to find a job in this economy. I had all these high hopes when I was given the initial offer. I keep telling myself that they might call me any day to start but it's been almost half a year since the offer!!!

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Great post...I am in your same position Planner418. I was recently told by NYCDOT that I was the chosen candidate for a job opening and that it would take 1-2 months. I guess I shouldn't be to sure of that time frame or even actually getting hired.

I'll post if I have any updates.

Thanks! I'll also update if and when I start the position. Wudope, I hope you and I will get an official starting date soon!

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Planner, I hope you've received good news since your last post. I will be starting my position next month. It all just depends going through several departments for the approval.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    I've been following this post since early January because I'm in a similar situation; I first received a verbal offer in late October. That's good news, Wudope. Did you just hear back recently about starting your new job?

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Bonosk, I received the verbal offer in mid December, got called for the processing meeting in mid Jan and negotiated my starting date at that time. Other NYCDOT employees I found on the internet pretty much explained it the same way, the big variable being the wait time after the verbal offer. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Wudope, your process sounds relatively quick compared to mine and others'. Perhaps the wait time also depends on which division within the DOT is doing the hiring - that is, some divisions may have longer approval paths. Good luck at work next month!

I got an official starting date for next monday! From what I heard there was a pause in the hiring process in the last several months as the departments were finalizing their budgets. Wudope, I'm happy to hear that you will be starting soon.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    wassup bosnok I'm also in a similar situation i have been waiting since October..... did you receive any information yet?... I was told to wait for a letter OR a call "sometime after the new year" which just passed BTW

Registered
    May 2012

About DOT Traffic Device Maintainer Hiring Process

I Took the test for DOT Traffic device maintainer over a year ago and suddenly just got a letter to show up for an interview in a few weeks. It says it does'nt guarantee the job. So what happens next ? Has
    anyone gone thru this? Does anyone know how long after the interview I will have to wait to get notified ? Anybody have any idea of the process ? Thanks
    Last edited by knight006; 02 May 2012 at 3:14 PM.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    To the best of my knowledge, the city still has a hiring freeze in effect, but that may have changed recently. They will notify you based on their timetable, rather than yours - in which case it could be many months following the interview that you finally hear something. With all due respect, I'd be very careful to to ensure that your speaking and writing are both more coherent than your post on here before you head into the interview.

Registered
    May 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply. My interview is on May 9th so I will post back here with the outcome.
    Thanks

NYCDOT Hiring Process

Hello - I came across this thread from Google since I have some concerns regarding the hiring process. I was given a verbal offer for a position in late August, accepted it, and was told it could be up 3-4 months until receiving a start date. The hiring manager said that the last step was OMB approval. I know that questions from this thread have been answered from various periods of time, but is this whole thing still normal? I'm really concerned because I wasn't given any form of written offer, I just signed a form and was introduced to my "future" co-workers. I called a month after I was hired for a status and was told just to wait, but I was asked for my college transcript. I feel like I would not have been asked for it if I never called. I'm excited for this opportunity, and with the current job market status for recent graduates, I was more than happy to be able to get a job relatively quickly after graduation. So is it normal to just sit tight and wait patiently for 2 more months, and I'll just receive a call one day? - Any response is much appreciated

Registered
    Nov 2012
    bxengr, I am having the same exact problem. I was given a verbal offer through the phone at the end of august and told it could possibly take up to 3 months, not thinking it would actually take that long. Im approaching the 3 month mark in a week or so. When i finally emailed the hiring manager for an update, she asked for a copy of my diploma which i also felt she would not have asked for had i not contacted her. She also said my documents were going for final approval about 8 weeks ago and i have not heard since. I'm trying to rent an apartment in the city and I am currently unable to since the DOT has not given me any form of written proof that I have this job offer or my salary. I have become very worried and am wondering if I will ever begin working. Is this normal?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Like I said a few years ago:

"They will notify you based on their timetable, rather than yours - in which case it could be many months following the interview that you finally hear something."

They're a huge, byzantine, bureaucratic city agency, and everyone that I know that has gone to work for any of the planning related city agencies has gone through this. A buddy of mine was inches away from taking a job as a waiter before his hire date at SBS came through, following months of nail biting. The personnel departments at these agencies are probably still using typewriters, and I mean that 100% seriously.

ja0904, I received a call yesterday from the hiring manager notifying me that my application was approved by OMB and that I will be emailed by personnel with orders on the next and last step to complete the process. I was told that I should be starting by next month. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the call soon.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    This process happened to me with an NJ municipality. However, I was given a start date after submitting my hire packet to them....and then was notified that the state still had not released approval for the hire the date I was supposed to start. Long story short, the approval was denied and I had already left my previous employer. The consolation prize was denial of unemployment benefits on technical grounds even though the administrative law judge said that I had reasonable assurance to expect to start the new job. It took me 6 months to find a new job in the same field.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2013

Similar situation

I was interview for a position at HHC in August and was told that i was being consider for the position. I was inform that the process is very long and the start date will begin after the holidays. Well, it is actually after the holidays now and i have not heard anything from the department. I email and left messages for the HR coordinator but no reply. I really want to start this job but no one is replying to me. Did anyone experience this before they were hire for a City job?????

HHC

I interviewed for a position with an HHC hospital on January 28th with executive mgmt of the hospital and was told by the COO that she would love for me to interview for another position. I interviewed for the other position a week later on february 8th. I feel it went well. The associate executive director was filling out HR documents during the interview and stated that he would work with me in regards to already planned time off. On February 14th I received an e-mail from the associate executive director asking for the phone numbers of two references. On February 18th both of my references were called in which one of them is my current boss. My boss told me that she said great things about me. On March 4th I e-mailed the associate exec director about the hiring process and he never replied. Does anyone know how long the hiring process actually takes for the HHC?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Anyone know the hiring process of NYC DEP
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Mar 2014, 7:35 PM
  2. The interview/hiring process
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 04 Oct 2013, 12:59 PM
  3. NYC HHC Hiring Process?