Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 204 of 223 FirstFirst ... 194 203 204 205 214 ... LastLast
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 5563

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 5 (2010)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah.....

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    There are some uggggggh-ly shoes in this world.
    Gladiator Sandals included.......even though I'm sure RJ wears them
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2004

Important Announcement

Listen up everyone associated with the world of commerce......it's December 1st. That means that it's okay NOW to start broadcasting your Christmas music, putting your holiday decorations and displays up, and airing your Santa riding an electric razor commercials. Don't let me catch you jumping the gun by doing any of the above the day after Halloween ever again. I hope I've made myself crystal clear. Otherwise, there'll be hell to pay next year. Grrrr. [/sufficient intimidation]

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Did you know the inhabitants of the tiny European country of Andorra have the second highest life expectancy at birth on earth?
    Their friends in the even tinier European country of Monaco have the highest number of televisions per capita! (Bermuda actually has more than 1,000 TVs for every 1,000 residents but since they are not a country...)
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Why do my co-workers with young children feel the need every morning to loudly immitate whatever annoying things their kids did last night.

"last night my kid was going Caw Caw Caw Caw Caw CAw Caw CAw CAw Ca wCAw CAW pretending to be a bird it was so cute"

grrrrrrrrr
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I'm so proud of all of us! On a pace for 5,542 RTDNTOTO posts this year. I admit I despaired at times, but we came thorugh.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I still can't decide whether it's a good thing or not when an individual heavily qualifies every remark as a matter of course. On the one hand it tends to ensure more honesty and accuracy, objectively speaking, but on the other hand demonstrating such a high degree of caution suggests timidity too.

Quote Originally posted by Otis
    I'm so proud of all of us! On a pace for 5,542 RTDNTOTO posts this year. I admit I despaired at times, but we came thorugh.
    I'd like to see the look of horror and disgust on Otis' face when I split off 2600 posts out of RTDNTOTO on December 31st into a new 'Random thoughts beginning with vowels' thread

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Did you know the inhabitants of the tiny European country of Andorra have the second highest life expectancy at birth on earth?
    Did you know that Andorra is my favorite tiny European country? Well it is. Ever since Luxembourg disappointed me. Fool me once, shame on me...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Both Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer and How the Grinch Stole Christmas were on TV last night - and it was still November!
    And, I received my first Christmas card of the year yesterday!

I think the season actually started right after Halloween.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Did you know that Andorra is my favorite tiny European country? Well it is. Ever since Luxembourg disappointed me. Fool me once, shame on me...
    Yes, those Luxembourgers are a feckless lot, better than San Marinoans mind you, but still a far cry from the upstanding Pyrenees dwellers we've all come to know and love.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yes, those Luxembourgers are a feckless lot, better than San Marinoans mind you, but still a far cry from the upstanding Pyrenees dwellers we've all come to know and love.
    Freedonia and Duchy of Grand Fenwick are superior to them all.
    Don't trust the Republic of Elbonia.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Absolutely! It must be all the fresh mountain air and tax-free tobacco that makes them so - i don't know,- wonderful. San Marino and Leichtenstein, like you said, everyone them expects it from them and any of the former yugo-slav republics as well...but you think you know Luxembourg. You think you can trust it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004
    In opposite land I am having a good day!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Listen up everyone associated with the world of commerce......it's December 1st. That means that it's okay NOW to start broadcasting your Christmas music, putting your holiday decorations and displays up, and airing your Santa riding an electric razor commercials. Don't let me catch you jumping the gun by doing any of the above the day after Halloween ever again. I hope I've made myself crystal clear. Otherwise, there'll be hell to pay next year. Grrrr. [/sufficient intimidation]
    Amen brother Maister, amen.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have a cousin, by marriage, who is documented as the tallest living Sammarinese at 6' 8" (tall by most any standards). He was born in San Marino but his family moved to the Detroit area when he was 3 or 4 years old. He has dual citizenship and his children, although only 50% Sammarinese, are eligible for citizenship from San Marino as well. I believe his son's children are also eligible, but not his daughter's. There are also government funds and trusts set up to help pay the expenses for citizens to actually fly home every few years for parliamentary elections. I guess they introduced these interesting citizenship laws decades ago when their population started falling quickly to help encourage expatriates to visit home more often and hopefully move back eventually, or for their children or grandchildren to.

While in Italy, I visited San Marino making it one of 5 of the 20 smallest countries in the world I've been to... (Vatican, San Marino, Malta, Singapore, St. Lucia). I had tickets to go on a day trip to Monaco but canceled in order to spend another day in Florence.

As tiny nations of shifty people go, those Sammarinese are saints compared to the debauchery I encountered in Malta!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I personally think Christmas displays, music, advertising, entertainment is all fair game as soon as Santa Claus rolls into Herald Square at the end of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. So Halloween is too early, yes, but waiting until December is a little late.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    So Halloween is too early, yes, but waiting until December is a little late.
    You're crazy. Christmas season starts right AFTER Halloween... not on it. Geez (yes I admit I am a fan of the season... so sue me scrooges )
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    You're crazy. Christmas season starts right AFTER Halloween... not on it. Geez (yes I admit I am a fan of the season... so sue me scrooges )
    That seems to be my wife's perspective, too. Christmas season runs from Nov. 1 through the end of college bowl season, according to her. I'll give her through the end of bowl season, but Halloween's too early. I'd like to have a little fall for fall's sake in there (keep in mind I live in the south-central part of the country where, if we get any at all before our "winter" hits, fall weather doesn't usually kick in until late October/early Nov.).

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I had tickets to go on a day trip to Monaco but canceled in order to spend another day in Florence.
    Good choice! Although Monaco is quite nice Florence is amazing
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Those Luxembourgers are okay, but those Limburgers are a stinky lot.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Those Luxembourgers are okay, but those Limburgers are a stinky lot.
    And those Limbaughs are full of sh!t.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    And those Limbaughs are full of sh!t.
    Luxembourgers, Limburger, Limbaughs, Lymphnodes, Bourgeuois....there should be a tongue-twister that radio announcers use to warm up along these lines

And Hink, Merry Christmas!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    But it takes week to set it up. If they just started NOW... they wouldn't be ready for the season until it is too late

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    ....there should be a tongue-twister that radio announcers use.....
    Back in the 1960s I oft-listened-to WBZ (Boston). The late night jock, Dick Somers, would do this radio announcer's test. He didn't say it, though....he sang it. And this Bear learned it and can sing it! Get enough alkie in me and I will sing it to attendees at the next Stanfest. Now that should improve attendance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWiu-...eature=related
    _____

Sad story continues from this area.....the 3 little boys from the small town of Morenci, MI, have not been found. From what the authorities are now saying, the boy's father has said that he did kill the youngsters.

Hundreds of people have been searching Lenawee County (MI) and Williams County (OH) for the boys. Those two counties abut my county (Fulton) and I believe that they are now searching some areas of Fulton County.

Morenci straddles the Ohio/Michigan state line. The terrain includes gently rolling hills, some forest land, some lakes and streams. I regularly fish at an Ohio string of man-made lakes (Lake LaSueAnn Wildflife Area), which is within the search area. The Wildlife Area includes a significant amount of forested acreage.

A sad story that will probably have a tragic conclusion.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Every new urbanist's favorite community , Celebration, Florida is a hotbed of criminal activity! http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/25994047/detail.html

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    That is sad BUN and comes on the heels of the Zahra Baker tragedy in the town next door. The search warrants have now been unsealed and there are more grim details that have emerged. A very sad story.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Closed thread
Page 204 of 223 FirstFirst ... 194 203 204 205 214 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141