Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 35 of 223 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 45 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 5 (2010)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Hi everyone, miss me?
    you left? I just stalk you on FB.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Fail.
    Fail? He successfully improved his opponents position and knocked his own stone out. Just think of how our international relations improved as a result. He's probably a folk hero in now. USA! USA!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Hey- take that over to the winter olympics thread!!!
    Have u all no sense of thread ettiquette?
    Complain to Dan, he started it. Besides, why can't we have random Olympic thoughts too?

Return to Random
    Watched a woodpecker fly from the tree by my office window into the window, fly back to the tree and start pecking on it like nothing had happened. Most others fall to the ground stunned or worse or at least take a break while they collect their birdbrains.

Moral of the story: If you're going to fly into windows, better be a species that makes its living knocking its head against the wall all day. Hmmm... planners might be qualified too.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I like my new green sweater from Lands' End that was delivered yesterday
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I saw two robins this morning. But yesterday the geese were flying in circles.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I like the smell of fresh paint.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I like the smell of fresh paint.
    Hey. Take that talk over to the fresh paint thread
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    But yesterday the geese were flying in circles.
    The apocalypse is here.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    ... the geese were flying ...
    Front page story here: Geese — and then some http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...212-then-some/
    Sitting on the ice edge and loafing in vast flotillas in open water, the mass defies actual count.
    sounds like a laefest to me.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Last Sunday's Jack van Impe show:
    Female announcer: "The anti-Christ will be a Muslim with a black father and white mother".
    Jack: "Hallellujah! The end of the world is near. Jesus is coming back soon!"

I own a 2000 Toyota not involved in any of the current products being recalled by the car maker, so I was surprised when I got a letter from a local Toyota dealer that intimated my vehicle is "likely among those" being recalled and offering to purchase my vehicle at top price. Re-reading the letter, I became a little angry that the letter seemed to be trying to take advantage of people not paying attention to Toyota's issues.

So I was pleased today to receive a letter of apology explaining that the letter was inadvertently sent to owners not affected by the recall and giving me a $50 check toward any maintenance work. Since the door locks are broken, I might take 'em up on their offer.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Had a good day at work....resolved a 5 year old problem with an hour of sleuthing and a visit to both the county and city offices. Moral of the story is don't use a cheap attorney to do a closing on a property transaction. Keep earned this week

Old DVD player died, new one purchased. No not a Blu-Ray-couldn't bring myself to part with $149 so we have a $39 Sony. R.T. installed and it's working fine. I noticed my new laptop has an HDMI port and the uni has lifted the bandwidth restriction so we are going to try and watch an on demand movie from Netflix shortly.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2005
    My little brother works casually for a farmer that sells his produce at the local markerts- i get a call at 6.30am this morning- no workers to help out, so went along and gave them a hand (on my day off)

Anyway i didnt realise how physically exhausting it was to run a produce market, then additionally have to add multiple numbers quickly!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    suggest to someone they are making a mistake....or mind my own business

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Staying with my cousin and her husband, a real estate agent. Housing came up.
    I mentioned my little foreclosure and how I selected it based on what my house payment would be if I were to reply on a state check. And how there's a place across my little street that's going for less than $20k.

Wandered around the (trademarked) realty site last night, and found a "real fixer-upper" in NOLA for less than $50k. It was flooded, and is a rebuild opportunity. So it would only take another several grand to replace the walls and flooring, then add appliances (mine came with) and make it liveable.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Last week I applied for what i thought would be a part time job as a graphic assistant. Called the hiring manager on wednesday to follow up to see if he reviewed my resume/application. This conversation turned into a 20 minute interview and how i would be more qualified for their comprehensive planner position that they have frozen, but "i seem to fit their needs now, so we can probably hire". What a difference a phone call makes.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Last week I applied for what i thought would be a part time job as a graphic assistant. Called the hiring manager on wednesday to follow up to see if he reviewed my resume/application. This conversation turned into a 20 minute interview and how i would be more qualified for their comprehensive planner position that they have frozen, but "i seem to fit their needs now, so we can probably hire". What a difference a phone call makes.
    Thats super news! I hope good news comes from this!!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Temple Grandin

I considered placing this post in the random movie thread or the ultimate television thread. Instead, for max viewing, I placed it here.

Just finished watching Temple Grandin, on HBO. It was one of the best examples of filmmaking I have seen in years. I dare you to watch it and not come away emotionally moved. It was very good.

It is the true story of Temple Grandin, an autistic woman who changed the methods of leading cattle to slaughter. Her humane design of the routing through cattle pens is now used by the majority of processors.

The movie is well-paced, visually fun because of the quick flashes that illustrate the pictures in Temple's mind, and has an incredible performance by Claire Danes in the title role. If this would have been a regular (non-TV) film she would be looking at an Oscar. She is magnificent.

If you have access to HBO, I strongly urge you to watch this film. Amazing.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Wow! What a lucky phone call. Good luck!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Here ya' go, Veloise.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Another bulldozer protest story -
    Frustrated Owner Bulldozes Home Ahead Of Foreclosure
    http://www.wlwt.com/news/22600154/detail.html

Did he need a demo permit ?

previous was in Granby, CO:
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ghlight=granby
    Last edited by JNA; 21 Feb 2010 at 10:40 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Here ya' go, Veloise.

In avatar use, the corners aren't transparent (at least on my monitor).

My original bike is the letter "b" (lower case) in Webdings font. Yours is fine; just another option.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Hooray - miracles of miracles! My computer arrived back at my office with a new motherboard.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    In avatar use, the corners aren't transparent (at least on my monitor).

My original bike is the letter "b" (lower case) in Webdings font. Yours is fine; just another option.

Strange. Did you eave it with an image editing program of some sort?

How's this? Veloise 2.0.

The bike seems kind of odd without pedals.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002

Grrrr

You know I respect everyone's right to their religious views and to express those in appropriate ways but this guy attacking the disabled removes any focus on the planned parenthood issue, its now on how out of touch this man is with reality. I am angry as hell for my friends and family members who are disabled or have disabled kids. Seems fitting he is buddies with Pat Robertson.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=730&sid=1894168

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Closed thread
Page 35 of 223 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 45 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5003
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141