Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Facial hair

Facial hair

Is it just me or do most men who grow facial hair not do the best jobs of maintaining it / trimming it? I don't grow facial hair because having hair on my face irritates me (not physically, as in a case of razor bumps, but mentally). My dad has a full beard and I know that he will never shave. He insists that I'm too clean cut and that men should grow beards, however I assert that most men who grow beards look like Neanderthals.

However, some men grow beards as a rebellious act against corporate and modern America which demands a clean-shaven, and perhaps less rugged (or dare I say, manly) looking man.

But some guys do manage to keep their beards nice/trim and not look so scruffy. What do you guys think? What do the ladies think? The Gilette commercials will have you convinced that every woman on Earth demands a clean-shaven man with a face as smooth as a baby's bottom but I'm sure some women feel otherwise.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I grew a mustache once. It looked terrible. My facial hair is spotty and salt and pepper in color. Very bad looking. Thus, no facial hair on me.

My late father's cardiologist had a dense, thick, short-trimmed beard. It looked good and I was envious at the time.

I think that ZG mentioned once that I was the only guy she's been with that didn't have facial hair.
    I can't speak for the womyn she may have went out with. NTTAWWT.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear has sported facial hair for most of my adult life. (3 months.) ()

Grew a beard when I was about 20. Changed it to a goatee about a dozen or so years ago. The only times I did not have facial hair was when I was going through radiation and chemo......cause it all went away.

I am lazy when it comes to keeping it well-trimmed. Maybe that should have been on my list of 2010 resolutions.

Nahhh.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This Bear has sported facial hair for most of my adult life. (3 months.) ()

Grew a beard when I was about 20. Changed it to a goatee about a dozen or so years ago. The only times I did not have facial hair was when I was going through radiation and chemo......cause it all went away.

I am lazy when it comes to keeping it well-trimmed. Maybe that should have been on my list of 2010 resolutions.

Nahhh.

Bear

I also had a beard around 18-19 years old. Like a full grown one. I think it was just a rite-of-passage kind of thing though, like it made me feel manly and grown-up. I don't care about that anymore. I'll look like a teenager, I just don't want any facial hair.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    It's difficult for me to grow a decent-looking beard. My whiskers seem like they're too far apart, so any beard I grow looks scraggly from the start. I can't pull off the Don Johnson five-o-clock shadow effect.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I grew a mustache once. It looked terrible.
    My facial hair is spotty and salt and pepper in color. Very bad looking. Thus, no facial hair on me.
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    It's difficult for me to grow a decent-looking beard. , so any beard I grow looks scraggly from the start.
    I can't pull off the Don Johnson five-o-clock shadow effect.
    My problem too,
    besides having had worked in a restuarant kitchen and as a Firefighter (SCBA mask seal) facial hair was discouraged.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

From an on-looker

Appearance: depends on the face it's attached to. Beards seem to sprout in the winter as a way to keep warm.

I've noticed maintenance issues with full beards. (Why shave my neck? Why trim the moustache (c'mon, Firefox, that is the correct spelling) hanging over my upper lip?) If you're shelving your razor, please do not also set aside the mirror.

Close contact: intended facial hair feels better than several hours worth of whiskers growing from bare skin.

Gripe: a shaved head looks better than MPB and a long, scruffy, almost comb-over. (Former brother-in-law, I'd be looking at you, except that you moved far away so I don't have to see you.)

Gripe 2: I can recall two BF-type people who've felt compelled to advise me on how to wear my hair; IMHO it's r-e-a-l-l-y aggravating to be told what to do. Resultingly I've never told any fellow how to wear his, no matter the location.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I like facial hair as long as it is well groomed. As Veloise pointed out growing facial hair doesn't mean the mirror gets to be set aside. Ditto on how intended facial hair feels better than a day or two of growth.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like a neatly trimmed goatee and moustache, and don't mind a day or two of growth. I don't like full, bushy beards, especially after sitting across the lunch table with my friend who wears one. How do you keep those things clean??

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    In college, I had a red/brown curly mountainman beard. I shaved it off for my first professional job interviews. I grew a closely trimed at my 1st job, but shaved it off when my boss told that people with facial hair didn't advance in the profession. I grew a moustache after I got my 1st planning director job, it nothing else than to spite him.

I kept the moustache until my latest job seach 2 years ago. I shaved it off for that (and it was getting gray). I have been clean shaved since.

Beards and moustache can be a pain to maintain and keep looking professional. Being clean shaven in a lot of ways is easier.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I have sported a goatee since I finished college. I would go clean shaven once a year but now I grow a beard once a year. Currently the beard is 3 weeks old and is the first time it looks like a full fledged beard. It comes off next week and the goatee returns.

For the goatee I trim it once every two weeks. I hate it when a whisker grows over my lip.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I like to sport the winter beard. I dont keep it as neat as I could, but that is half the fun, being gruff.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I have a full beard and have almost continuously since college. My college girlfriend said I looked a lot better with a beard. I shaved it off once without alerting Mrs. Otis. When she saw me she thought that (1) a stranger was in her house who (2) was ugly. I grew it back.

The main reason I grew the beard is that the skin on my neck is really sensitive, and ends up all iritated when I shave. So sometimes I let the neck go. Otherwise I try to keep the beard neat.

Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I have a full beard and have almost continuously since college. My college girlfriend said I looked a lot better with a beard. I shaved it off once without alerting Mrs. Otis. When she saw me she thought that (1) a stranger was in her house who (2) was ugly. I grew it back.

The main reason I grew the beard is that the skin on my neck is really sensitive, and ends up all iritated when I shave. So sometimes I let the neck go. Otherwise I try to keep the beard neat.

This is a problem that people of color often face (blacks, southern Europeans, Jews, and others with naturally curly hair). It's called pseudofolliculitis. The curly hair that most blacks have grows out then curls back into the skin, causing irritation. Thus the reason why if you've ever noticed, it seems to be more common for black men to sport facial hair than white men.

I don't have the problem since my hair is pretty straight, certainly straighter than most black men. It's not painful for me to be clean-shaven, but for many (if not most) black men it is. I wouldn't be surprised if there were conflicts in the professional world (or any job that requires a clean-shaven face) between white bosses/supervisors/management who aren't aware of the condition and employees who suffer from it.

And yes, Whose Yur Planner, I have noticed that most planners do not sport beards. I pay attention to that kind of stuff, probably because right now I have a job that requires me to be clean-shaven, so even if I wanted to rock a beard, I really couldn't. I can only think of one planner who I've met who had a beard, and I'm not sure if you could call him a planner per se. He has a planning degree but works as an economic development recruiter/coordinator for a non-profit organization.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Both of the male planners in my office, including me, have full beards. The previous director had a full beard. I think that a while ago you could pretty much guarantee that if you were a male planner you had a beard. I guess that times change.

We need some bearded smilies.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I am 29 years old. I cannot grow facial hair the life of me. I shave every 2-3 days. Even if i didn't shave for a week i still look like a pubescent 13 years trying to grow a mustache. It's sad.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Have maintained a moustache continuously since turning 19 and have shaved it off briefly on only two occasions: boot camp, and one time on a lark shortly after I got married (was 28). I thought I looked like a teenager so I grew it back and haven't cut it off since. I guess I just like how it looks.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Have had a moustache most of my adult life. Wore a bread for a year once and then many years later a goatee and keeping that now for the last 3 or 4 years. I do keep it closely trimmed.

I've gone clean-shaven a couple times and not long-lived. I feel that time is coming again, just for a change (and to freak out the kid).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I grow goatees sporadically every 3-4 months. At least, until recently when I've been keeping it much more clean-shaven. Part of that had to do with my choice in haircuts, as goatees look too redneck (at least on me) when you have a crew/buzz cut. Now that my hair is getting long again, I've thought about growing it back, but my Mach 3 keeps calling me (or should I say my wife keeps calling for the Mach 3 and, while she likes it when I have a goatee, she doesn't want to go through the waiting period of scruff until it feels like intentional facial hair and not like coarse scruff).

I can't grow a full beard. I have one patch on the lower left side of my chin that for some reason has no hair. If it were not for that patch, I'd probably have a full beard regularly for the same reason Lincoln did - I have a very narrow face/jaw.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    ... I guess I just like how it looks.
    Veloise likes this.

(mebbe we need to add the Facebook thumbs-up smiley to our repertoire)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I am 29 years old. I cannot grow facial hair the life of me. I shave every 2-3 days. Even if i didn't shave for a week i still look like a pubescent 13 years trying to grow a mustache. It's sad.
    26 here and the only facial hair that is consistently dark is below my jawline. Otherwise it's all salt and pepper. My wife thinks I look the best/older (...so like 19) with a few days growth but anything more than 3 or 4 days starts looking too sparse and too blond.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Now that my hair is getting long again, I've thought about growing it back, but my Mach 3 keeps calling me (or should I say my wife keeps calling for the Mach 3 and, while she likes it when I have a goatee, she doesn't want to go through the waiting period of scruff until it feels like intentional facial hair and not like coarse scruff).

My wife is on the other side. Since we have meet I have sported a goatee. Before I can shave it off I need premission. The first time I shaved it off she said, "I am not sure I like you clean shaven." Not what you want to hear from your girlfriend of 3 months...but I guess it worked out in the end.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I've pretty much always been clean shaven (I'm 32). I did sort of grow a beard about a year and a half ago to see what it would look like, though. I gave it about a week and a half before I couldn't stand it anymore. Itched too much plus I realized it came in as sort of a brown/blonde/red/gray mix. Very unusual considering my head hair is very dark brown. I've been used to the clean shaven and very short hair look since being in the military and haven't really changed it all since. I don't think I'll ever plan on changing it, either. Besides, most people think I'm about 24-25 and I still get carded most places, and that's okay with me!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Never even tried to grow a moustache or beard...I shave six days a week (generally try to give my face a break one day a weekend). I could probably grow a decent moustache and goatee, but a full beard might have a couple of bare spots.

However...I do have about a couple of weeks worth of field work upcoming at a fairly remote location, so I may well skip shaving for a few days and see what happens...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2002
    I let my goatee become a full beard in the fall. I trim it about once a week. I keep thinking about letting it become Full Viking, but that probably isn't too professional!
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 16 Oct 2011, 12:05 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Nov 2005, 3:44 PM
  3. Seasonal Facial Hair
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 05 Nov 2005, 5:40 PM
  4. What not to do with your hair #1