Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Jobs for people interested in planning

Registered
    Sep 2009

Jobs for people interested in planning

Howdy Y'all (sorry, I'm from Texas...can't help it!)

I am a mid-20s guy with a BA in Religious Studies who is interested in getting a Masters in Planning. However, I don't have any relevant experience yet, and was wondering if y'all had any advice about how to get jobs/internships for someone like myself, who is not affiliated with a university or anything like that, but just a guy interested in Planning?

Ideally, the job would be paid, but I'll take what I can get if it lets me see the profession from the inside before I commit to grad school.

Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Yo.... sup dawg?

What are you interested in doing with your planning degree? Is it more policy related? I am willing to bet that if you could let us know, you would get a more useful response.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 2009
    Thanks DetroitPlanner...I guess I don't really know what I want to do as a Planner, since I have not had any exposure to the field yet (besides reading some books). I am interested in the field in general right now (either public or private sector). I am probably less interested in policy and more in the nuts and bolts of "planning." If i had to pick an interest, I would say sustainable/environmental planning and economic planning seem pretty intriguing to me.

Thanks!

Planning jobs

Given the bleak economy, you may want to try volunteering or unpaid internship. Try some of the smaller agencies.

Quote Originally posted by amaccracken View post
    Given the bleak economy, you may want to try volunteering or unpaid internship. Try some of the smaller agencies.
    Or try another career field. It's too oversaturated as it is. I graduated in Dec. 08 and it still hasn't paid me a dime. Should have been an engineer.

Registered
    Sep 2009
    thanks, guys. I've thought of engineering, but i didn't do any undergrad work in any math or sciences, and from what i've heard, you can't get into an engineering program without that background...

... then go get the background. There's just no work in planning. Employment for planners was inflated along with the housing market. So unless you see housing booming like it was in 2005, I wouldn't bother. Might as well join the clergy and make 30k a year.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by chocolatechip View post
    ... then go get the background. There's just no work in planning. Employment for planners was inflated along with the housing market. So unless you see housing booming like it was in 2005, I wouldn't bother. Might as well join the clergy and make 30k a year.
    You are probably going too far with your predictions for planning employment. Yes, there are a large number of us who lost jobs in the recession, and more will lose jobs in the coming years. But the same is true for engineers and for many other occupations. The jobs will come back, although I expect not in the same niches as before. In the next decade or so I expect development review will be less important, while planners who can address economic development, revitalization/redevelopment, housing, transportation, administration, and policy will fare better.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    You are probably going too far with your predictions for planning employment. Yes, there are a large number of us who lost jobs in the recession, and more will lose jobs in the coming years. But the same is true for engineers and for many other occupations. The jobs will come back, although I expect not in the same niches as before. In the next decade or so I expect development review will be less important, while planners who can address economic development, revitalization/redevelopment, housing, transportation, administration, and policy will fare better.
    How far have I actually gone? All I'm saying here is there will not be the same demand for planners as there was in 2005 for the foreseeable future. I don't see how that is contrary to your own predictions. I see generalist planners falling by the wayside, with certain niches growing over the long-term, as you've brought out. But overall, I don't think there will be any significant growth in numbers for a long time. In any case, these are just my opinions, and it will be interesting to see the next DOL statistics on the field.

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    In any case, these are just my opinions, and it will be interesting to see the next DOL statistics on the field.
    Why? We already have several national publications telling us that planning is a HOT field. What? You're not buying it?

Quote Originally posted by danthonyjr View post
    Why? We already have several national publications telling us that planning is a HOT field. What? You're not buying it?
    LOL... The only thing funnier than USNews' take on the profession is reading APA' Planning rag try to explain the "new job market" without giving everyone a reason to shred their almost worthless memberships.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    LOL... The only thing funnier than USNews' take on the profession is reading APA' Planning rag try to explain the "new job market" without giving everyone a reason to shred their almost worthless memberships.
    you have yet to mention the almost $400 plus annual fee to keep four little letters in front of your name too.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    you have yet to mention the almost $400 plus annual fee to keep four little letters in front of your name too.
    Didn't they give discounts for out-of-work planners?
    "I'm a boomerang, doesn't matter how you throw me
    I turn around and I'm back in the game
    Even better than the old me"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 2:06 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 Aug 2009, 9:07 PM
  3. Interested in planning
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0