Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Second planning degree vs other degrees

Feb 2010
    Pinckney, Michigan

Second planning degree vs other degrees

I was wondering if getting a second planning degree is necessary if my first degree (Eastern Michigan University) is fully accredited by the PAB. i understand that there is only a 3 year wait to become certified for the AICP degree...

Since i went to a school who is or was (dunno if they got re-certified but i'm grandfathered in so it doesn't effect me), does it even make since to get a 2nd planning degree.....

my areas of interest are in Rural / Small city planning and alot of my undergrad methods research is in Rural growth management / smaller cities growth management.

Couple ideas:
    Pennyslvania State - ONLINE DEGREE - Economic Development / Planning (something of that nature not sure what the program is called off the top of my head)

Pennsylvania State - Rural Sociology
    University of Missouri - Rural Sociology
    University of Georgia - Environmental Planning / Design

Any Public Affairs Degree
    Any Public Administration Degree (that's what my minor is)
    Any Urban Affairs degree

or any other policy / sociology / architecture program that is out there....

i was debating also maybe going into Landscape Architecture.... i have areas of interest, but dunno what i should do as far as getting a 2nd planning degree or expanding my educational skillset

I've always been been of the opinion that a second degree in planning is largely pointless, unless it's a PhD and you want to teach or go into a special research area.

If you have a bachelors in planning, you should get something that would both complement your planning experience AND set you up for other career tracks, like an MBA, MPP, MPA, etc.

May 2005
    New Town
    Well, its my opinion that at least one reason to go back to school at this point is as an alternative to unemployment (you're not working, but at least you are, theoretically, acquiring skills for when you do re-enter the market). Given that, the objective should be to choose a field/area that you expect will have a need when you are finished. I would do a bunch of reading to see if you can get a sense of what some of those areas might be and head in that direction (which could still be in planning, but I do think that with the large number of unemployed planners right now, a concentration within that field that will be in demand is a smart place to begin - natural resource planning, for instance?).

I know that the NYTimes had a story just recently about the job outlook over the coming years and there is an Atlantic Monthly article in a similar vein linked to in another forum (or just go to their site). Those might be good places to start.

Good luck!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Apr 2008, 12:33 PM
  2. Planning degrees: US vs Europe
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Mar 2008, 5:44 AM
  3. Dual MBA/planning degrees
    Student Commons