Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bowmanville West Town Centre

Registered
    Jan 2010

Bowmanville West Town Centre

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong section. I'm a recent graduate from an Urban and Regional Planning-GIS Technician program. Employment opportunities are hard to come by here in Ontario, so in the mean time I keep myself busy with projects I create for myself. I thought I show one of my latest projects to get some feed back from some professional planners. If you could let me know what you think it be greatly appreciated.

This is my newest development called Bowmanville West Town Centre which is located in Bowmanville, Ontario. Bowmanville is a small town of 30 000 plus residents, yet rapidly growing. This development takes place within the west end of the town where a large commercial-retail centre is to be created.

Here is a shot of the area to date.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the initial master plan for the area set out by the municipality.

[IMG][/IMG]

I found this master plan to be somewhat typical and lacking creativity. The plan also follows sprawl like characteristics which is not intent of Ontario's Places to Grow Act.

This is my version of the Bowmanville West Town Centre

Here are some site statistics

The area in total is an estimated 119.01 ha. (293 ac.)

Commercial-Retail - Estimated 102,550 sq m. (1,103,848 sq ft.)
    This contains a 24 screen movie theater, 9 large retailers, and 33 other commercial- retail uses.

Office Space - Estimated 57,984 sq m. (624,134 sq ft.)
    Contains 6 office structures.

Residential - Estimated 2115 units
    Contains 4 condominium towers, townhouses, and 16 low rise condominiums

There is also;

GO Transit Station which is a rail station connecting to Downtown Toronto.
    Clarington Central High School
    Police-Fire Station
    Church
    Recreation Cmplex
    Sports Field-Two baseball diamonds and soccer field
    Parkland-watercourses
    Storm Water Management Areas

Here is my proposed master plan of Bowmanville West Town Centre. This is just an overview, yet describes the uses and store types to be established.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are a few renders of Bowmanville West Town Centre. Please keep in mind these renders are not the best due to the file size and other complications this was the best output my laptop could produce.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

That's all the renders I have which gives a basic overview of the site. Let me know what you think and what could be improved, and if I stand a chance in the designing aspect of the planning world.

Thanks again everyone.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Wow, thats some impressive work that you've done. Just out of curiosity, did you create the buildings yourself? What software did you use for the 3D renderings and main map?

Registered
    Jan 2010
    Thank you jammers for the compliment. As for the buildings, yes I did create them myself, except for the four condominium towers. I used an example from a Tribute Homes development in Oakville, with some minor changes. In order to create the renders I used Google Sketch Up in conjunction with Kerkythea 2008 to create the render images. The main map was created in AutoCAD just clipped one of the renders and used multi leaders to give the descriptions.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Oct 2011, 5:13 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 May 2006, 9:37 AM
  3. Replies: 56
    Last post: 02 Nov 2005, 9:43 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Sep 2003, 9:39 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Jun 2000, 9:03 AM