Urban planning community

Poll results: What is your favorite nut?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Walnuts

7 18.42%
  • Peanuts (they are too nuts, dammit!)

6 15.79%
  • Cashews

6 15.79%
  • Pistachios

3 7.89%
  • Almonds

5 13.16%
  • Pecans

5 13.16%
  • Chestnuts

0 0%
  • Hazelnuts/Filberts

1 2.63%
  • Hickory nuts

0 0%
  • Brazil Nuts

2 5.26%
  • Other (explain below)

2 5.26%
  • All taste yucky

1 2.63%
  • Have allergies to certain nuts (explain below)

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nuts

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    yes on boiled peanuts - my husband makes the best - perfect salt level

I also like cracked nuts (can't believe this thread has not disintegrated yet and had the red lock put on it)

slivered almonds in a garlic oil with broccoli (or cauliflower or mushrooms, whatever isn't moldy in the fridge) over pasta is a family favorite quick meal

walnuts in your pesto is also a nice change from pine nuts

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    We had the same rude and racist term in my household growing up. And this is just one of the reasons why I don't live anywhere near central Kansas anymore!
    WHAT!!! Such a shame.

I like peanuts. Wherther they are a nut or not... I like tomatoes too whether they are a fruit or not.
    I can't eat very many nuts allergies.
    Really bad - Walnuts
    Bad - Pecans
    The rest just cause a bit of a problem.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    My personal favorite is the brazil nut. I attribute much of my grip strength to hours spent trying to crack their shells. Older members of the family referred to them as "very racially offensive term toes".
    I had never heard that term for them until a black guy that my dad worked with who was from Louisiana was over and accused my dad of eating all the "very racially offensive term toes" out of the bowl and leaving the less desirable (in his opinion) walnuts and almonds. Which reminds me that I haven't had a Brazil nut in probably 20 years.

I'd say my favorites are walnuts and hazelnuts... as long as the hazelnut is in Nutella form. But I really haven't met a nut I didn't like.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I love almonds. The wasabi ones and the smokehouse jalapeno ones...mmmm. I keep them at my desk at all times. I also like pecans but I'm spoiled by Georgia pecans so now the ones at the store just don't cut it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I have always wondered what fresh-roasted American chestnuts taste(d) like, seeing as they were common as dirt until the blight fungus showed up in NYC in 1903, wiping out nearly all of the trees by about WWII. There are some chestnut tree plantations in areas well away from the species' blighted 'native' areas in the eastern USA, such as in California, but chestnuts remain rare.

That said, pecans are my fav, followed by almonds and pistachios.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We get or chest nuts from some farm. They come dehydrated, but taste like fresh chestnuts. They're best in the turkey stuffing. I can always look up the name if you need it (my wife takes care of all my nut cravings - including getting a pile of nuts every fall for me to devour).
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I had never heard that term for them until a black guy that my dad worked with who was from Louisiana was over and accused my dad of eating all the "very racially offensive term toes" out of the bowl and leaving the less desirable (in his opinion) walnuts and almonds. Which reminds me that I haven't had a Brazil nut in probably 20 years.

I'd say my favorites are walnuts and hazelnuts... as long as the hazelnut is in Nutella form. But I really haven't met a nut I didn't like.
    Me either until I moved to SC from Oregon. I've always thought that brazil nuts taste a little rank.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 47
    Last post: 13 Aug 2013, 12:15 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 08 Oct 2008, 10:11 AM
  3. Ladies - Are Guys Driving You Nuts?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Feb 2005, 10:05 PM
  4. Replies: 26