Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public sector jobs: more experienced or better fit with organization?

Registered
    Feb 2010

Public sector jobs: more experienced or better fit with organization?

So I know that when it comes to planning jobs in the private sector, experience isn't everything... and that the person being a "good fit" with the organization is almost equally important to experience (so long as they meet minimum qualifications and are trainable).

Does this also hold true for public sector (e.g. county, city govt planning jobs)?

I've been wondering because there are quite a few job postings for which I meet the "minimum qualifications" -- but i'm sure there are many people with far more experience than me applying for them too. So i hope they'll be looking at things such as if I'll be a "good fit" with the department... because if it's 99% about experience, then it seems hard to compete for entry/journeyman level jobs when there's also people with 10 years experience applying for them too.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Good fit. By more than half.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Review the job description carefully. I seem to zero in on the education aspect. If a master's degree is required, i don't bother. If it is preferred than i know my chances are slim. I personally think that HR toss those applicants that don't have the right "credentials" in terms of eduction before they even get to the experience thing. But then again, I have been in the private sector for all of my professional life, with the exception of an internship, so I think that always dings me.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Good fit. By more than half.
    Ok... nice to hear that, thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Review the job description carefully. I seem to zero in on the education aspect. If a master's degree is required, i don't bother. If it is preferred than i know my chances are slim. I personally think that HR toss those applicants that don't have the right "credentials" in terms of eduction before they even get to the experience thing. But then again, I have been in the private sector for all of my professional life, with the exception of an internship, so I think that always dings me.
    yeah every time I have called any public HR department, they have demonstrated absolutely no knowledge of the position beyond what is on the public job announcement... the only additional knowledge they seem to have is purely administrative (and yet they are decision makers). Personally, I find this a little unnerving.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Two things. With the job market like it is, there are basically no rules that apply. There are so many applicants for any job that are likely over qualified, employers can pick and choose based upon a myriad of factors. In the past when I was hiring, I used education and experience to wittle down the crowd to those who I knew could do the job with the least amount of effort on my part. From there it came down to how well I thought they were going to fit into the organization. There is nothing worse than hiring one person who upsets a perfectly good working organization, particularly if they are at a management level.

Regarding HR people. They serve the same role as administrative assistants and phone calls -- they are gate keepers pure and simple. They are given the basic task of weeding out the ones that those doing the hiring don't even want to be bothered with. These days, that can include about 90 - 95% of applicants.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Apr 2009, 9:55 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 13 Jun 2008, 10:56 AM
  3. Anyone experienced a private sector buyout?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Nov 2007, 1:36 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 3:27 AM