Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Campus planning best practices

Registered
    Oct 2005

Campus planning best practices

Are there any documents or best practices for design and location of buildings on college and university campuses? I've been trying to do an internet search today and have been finding little bits of info or just useless junk. Has anyone on this board dealt with campus planning before and how can smart growth techniques be implemented into a campus environment?

Any help would be appreciated.
    @GigCityPlanner

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I worked in campus planning for 2 years for a private firm, from 1989 to 1991. It was the best and most favorite job ever. When I was there, I worked on a text book for campus design by Richard Dober, who was my boss. He is considered the father of campus planning from the 60's onward (don't let anyone at Sasaki or SWA tell you differently) so I highly recommend reading his work.

here is the Barnes & Noble link:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...chard+P.+Dober

Registered
    Feb 2007
    The Cal Poly Master Plan dealt with a whole host of these issues. My company helped the campus complete the project in 2001. I as a student contributed with my classmates for planning related issues. It was a neat process.

http://www.afd.calpoly.edu/facilitie...plan.asp?pid=2

http://www.calpoly.edu/~RGP/Research/rei.html

good luck
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for those links to start with. I also was sent a link to the EPA Smart Growth section : http://www.epa.gov/dced/univ_resources.htm

There has to be more than 2 people on this board who have sources, info, or experiences in institutional or campus planning.

Please chime in!
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Tide, although I cannot help you directly, I know a couple people at JJR, who work with Campus planning a whole bunch. They are still active in such things, and I will try and convince them to come on here to give their two cents. If they won't, I will see if they can give some links or book titles...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I've been woking for a University doing Campus planning now for about 2 years. Great job. I think that books like A Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander has proven the most useful. However, in some instances design is secondary to economic and governance factors.

Pretty much most of this campus where I work was based on City Beautiful design, which makes my life pretty easy. I suppose that it can best be described as a "buildings in the park" approach, where the vehicles are not allowed into the centre of the campus.

What is very interesting in Perth, Australia, where I work, is that a single planner (a guy by the name of Gordon Stephenson) in the 1950s was responsible for laying out the master plan for the city and then also has laid out I think 3 of the 4 major universities during the coming decades. All have similar park like qualities.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I suggest you look at Christopher Alexander's The Oregon Experiment. Amazon has it: http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Experim.../dp/0195018249 It is about planning the University of Oregon campus. Unfortunately Oregon did little with it.

As far as I am concerned, Alexander is in the pantheon with Jane Jacobs, Daniel Burnham, etc. His work is great.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Otis

I agree - I've been considering setting up a Gideon style organisation that leaves a copy of Jane Jacobs' Life and Death of Great American Cities in hotel rooms...

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Bond University here in Australia
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Tide, my only experience with the topic was a drop-in visit to that office at my undergrad alma mater. I was hoping to provide some feedback on their network of 18" wide parallel "bike trails" that criss-cross campus and convene at blind intersections with sidewalks.

The fellow I spoke with went on about how much he looooved riding on the bike trails, going along the river. Guess he never got into a near miss by the big shrub out back of Beaumont Tower.

I believe I'd do some charette work with undergrads (no cars, backpacks, housing preferences) and others living on campus. Seems like "land grant" serves as a license to create sprawl, and all the planning is intended for the convenience/requirement of the infernal combustion engine.

There, you got me started...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hiring practices of regional planning agencies
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 21 Jul 2011, 9:02 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Jun 2010, 8:17 AM
  3. University/college campus planning
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 9