Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning + MPA?

Planning + MPA?

In my grad program, there are a growing number of people pursuing dual degrees in planning and public administration. In today's world, are people with both degrees more likely to become the next PD?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    No. People with good people skills that can complete quality projects and are in the right place at the right time can become Planning Directors.

Students freak-out way too much about getting into the right schools or the right programs. In reality you can graduate from Harvard and be as dumb as a tree stump. Passion is worth infinitely more than the name of the degree on your diploma.

If you like policy or managing government an MPA is a viable option. If you like to draw pretty pictures and use $5 words youd probably be happier in Planning.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2009

Hmmm

As a current MPA student, my thinking (based on my limited experience) is that, to be a director of a planning department, or any department for that matter, an understanding of managment, finance, organization, etc. could be extremely helpful. My PD is extremely knowledgable, but a horrible manager. Sure, the right kind of person could manage a department without the MPA, but I'd like to have that background before taking on a whole department. Maybe I'm just trying to validate my own academic choices, but the MPA certainly won't be a detriment.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have the dual you speak of, and it definitely helped me in the public sector. Private sector, not so much.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jul 2007, 5:41 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Feb 2006, 12:54 PM