Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Greetings from Japan!

Registered
    Jan 2010

Greetings from Japan!

Greetings from Japan!

I recently moved from America to Japan to teach English. I have been interested in UP and Sustainability for a long time, but only recently as a profession. Japan has incredible infrastructure (i.e. Shinkansen/bullet trains) and has only increased my interest.

Long story short, I am interested in getting a Master's in Urban Planning and/or Sustainability, but would like to learn more about what schools look for in prospective students. I have an undergrad BA in English & Literature. Of course nothing is impossible, but I would like to hear from those who started off on a different path/major and ended up in the UP profession.

Looking forward to participating in the community here. Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ohayo gozaimasu! Welcome from Michigan. You might want to look around the Student Lounge for some dicsussions about various programs out there.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!

Nihango wo Hanashimaska? (phonetic spelling - can't write Kanji on this American keyboard)
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Greetings from Central IL! Cyburbia has a very useful student section and was very helpful when I was in school.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Howdy from Austin, Texas.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from New York!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Howdy

西部のアリゾナからのCyburbiaへの歓迎。 頻繁のポストはRJを気にしないし、彼は同じ通りの生命が子供でいつも叫る古く不機嫌な人のようちょっとであり。

I wonder if this really says what I wanted? I got it off a free translator web site.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Nihango wo Hanashimaska? (phonetic spelling - can't write Kanji on this American keyboard)
    Tsukoshi nihongo o hanashimas.

Registered
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    西部のアリゾナからのCyburbiaへの歓迎。 頻繁のポストはRJを気にしないし、彼は同じ通りの生命が子供でいつも叫る古く不機嫌な人のようちょっとであり。

I wonder if this really says what I wanted? I got it off a free translator web site.
    I don't read kanji (unfortunately), but it looks like you got most of it across! AZ is a great state; I'm originally from CO and love the West!

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm looking forward to this community!

Registered
    Jan 2010
    こにしは

おけんきですか
    First of all, welcome in Cyburbia !! (even if I am new here too ^^)

I am very curious about what you do in Japan. I plan to go too, in September 2011 for working either as a Urban planner (it could be amazing !) or as an assistant of English and French.
    May I ask you in which city you are and what are you doing?

I hope you find an interesting master to do,
    I can help you with the French ones, if you are looking to come in France ^^

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010

greeting

Wow, so lucky! Greetings

Registered
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Nefit View post
    May I ask you in which city you are and what are you doing?
    ^^
    I am just teaching English! Nothing related to planning officially, but in Japan all one needs to is keep both eyes open! I'm very close to Gifu City which is close to Nagoya--Japan's 4th largest city and center of Toyota.

You would do well to come here if you can learn the language. It's a great country with great ambitions albeit with a humble attitude. Let me know if you have more questions!

Registered
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!

日本語すこしだけはなします。

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Journey to Japan
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Jun 2012, 6:50 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Jun 2011, 9:23 PM
  3. Tokyo, Japan
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0