Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Computer programs with visual libraries of objects to insert in Photoshop

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Computer programs with visual libraries of objects to insert in Photoshop

The title of this thread sucks, but anyway...

I am completing my thesis in urban planning, using Photoshop to represent potential changes to the street environment of a certain area.
    I'm using Google map's street view as a base, putting the photos in Photoshop and basically inserting (or removing things). Now what I would like to know is if there is any program out there that has a library of objects that could be used, such as people, benches, trees, buildings, different types of roads, ect...
    I can get most of the stuff from different photos but it's hard sometime to play with the angles, texture, color. So I was hoping you guys had the names of the programs that planners use to represent some of their proposals which would have an extensive library of stuff.

I'm also gonna try to use Sketch-up

Take a look at the street view for this map

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=01-237%...=N&hl=en&tab=w

I appreciate the help.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by JeromeRaymond View post
    The title of this thread sucks, but anyway...

I am completing my thesis in urban planning, using Photoshop to represent potential changes to the street environment of a certain area.
    I'm using Google map's street view as a base, putting the photos in Photoshop and basically inserting (or removing things). Now what I would like to know is if there is any program out there that has a library of objects that could be used, such as people, benches, trees, buildings, different types of roads, ect...
    I can get most of the stuff from different photos but it's hard sometime to play with the angles, texture, color. So I was hoping you guys had the names of the programs that planners use to represent some of their proposals which would have an extensive library of stuff.

I'm also gonna try to use Sketch-up

Take a look at the street view for this map

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=01-237%...=N&hl=en&tab=w

I appreciate the help.
    You're doing it. Save your work for your portfolio and play it up if you do a good job.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I would use Photoshop over Sketchup in this case for a few reasons:
    1. You are using a street-level photo, which is a two dimensional flat image. Sketchup works in three dimensions so you would need to create 3D components (buildings, trees, street furniture, cars, etc.). Yes, you can drape a 2D photo into the background in sketchup, but you would still need to set up the model.
    2. At my last job, we purchased a few DVDs of photo cutouts of various plant material (deciduous, ornamental, evergreens, perennials, etc.). It wasn't cheap, but each image was glare free, which I will explain next.
    3. If you download most cropped photos from the internet, you will notice that they usually have some glare or shadows depending on the location of the sun when the photo was taken. For photoshop manipulation use the direction of the sun that is in the main photo (hopefully the street view isn't taken in the early morning or late afternoon) and make sure the inserted images have the same sun direction. This will be tricky at first. The key is to make the touched-up image look realistic as possible.
    4. Make sure the resolutions between the underlying photo and the inserted images are similar. It would look odd to have a high resolution tree on top of a low resolution image.
    5. Find isometric grids for photoshop to help set up your vanishing points and horizons.
    6. Become familiar with using the transform tool which is where most of your work is.

I have worked in Photoshop on several projects for about 5 years now, but I am still learning new things everyday. Photoshop manipulations for streetscapes is one area that I still have to refine my skills. I don't think you can do it in just one session, but good luck
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 13 Dec 2010, 10:12 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 14 Jan 2008, 1:56 PM
  3. Oversized objects as public art
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 14