Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 College Football Thread

Registered
    Mar 2004

WOW!

What an embarrassing game! What a joke I wonder who will score 100 on CU first next year, USC, Arizona or Oregon???

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_16556066

or

http://cuindependent.com/2010/11/07/...r-cu-football/
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I forgot to mention the Kansas game - they were down by 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter and scroed 35 to win. I bet there were a several people who left at the start of the 4th and now wished they hadn't. Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU.

There was a very similar outcome in the Northwestern vs. Penn State game. Penn State was down a LOT at halftime and scored 35 unanswered points to win the game and give JoePa his 400th victory.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    On a Tuesday night game on ESPN2, I just saw my NIU Huskies beat longtime rival Toledo 65-30!!

This is the Huskies' seventh straight win. They are now 6-0 in the MAC and 8-2 overall.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm pretty excited because my alma mater is moving up to play with the big boys...

Texas State moving from Division I-FCS to FBS, and is joining the WAC

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I'm pretty excited because my alma mater is moving up to play with the big boys...

Texas State moving from Division I-FCS to FBS, and is joining the WAC
    Careful what you wish you. The MAC should be D2, and yet they still exist. The WAC is starting to look like they should be a D2 conference. Being in D1 is only good if you can win. Otherwise it just takes up TONS of money from your school that could otherwise be put to strengthening other sports programs or academics. Unfortunately, Texas State is going to have a tough time recruiting in their home state....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Careful what you wish you. The MAC should be D2, and yet they still exist. The WAC is starting to look like they should be a D2 conference. Being in D1 is only good if you can win. Otherwise it just takes up TONS of money from your school that could otherwise be put to strengthening other sports programs or academics. Unfortunately, Texas State is going to have a tough time recruiting in their home state....
    I don't think Texas state will have any more tough a time recruiting than say, Fresno State (also in the WAC) or Central Michigan (in your referenced MAC). Do those schools get the top recruits from their respective states? No, they usually go to names like USC, Cal, Michigan, Michigan State, etc. They still get recruits, though, and more often than not have decent teams. I don't think the WAC is making any pretense that it will become the biggest name in college athletics any time in the near future. But it is a good step up from the Southland Conference for Texas State, and a much better step up into FBS than some other FBS conferences would have been (even with Boise State, Fresno State, Nevada, and posse leaving for the MWC).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I don't think Texas state will have any more tough a time recruiting than say, Fresno State (also in the WAC) or Central Michigan (in your referenced MAC). Do those schools get the top recruits from their respective states? No, they usually go to names like USC, Cal, Michigan, Michigan State, etc. They still get recruits, though, and more often than not have decent teams. I don't think the WAC is making any pretense that it will become the biggest name in college athletics any time in the near future. But it is a good step up from the Southland Conference for Texas State, and a much better step up into FBS than some other FBS conferences would have been (even with Boise State, Fresno State, Nevada, and posse leaving for the MWC).
    I guess my point was that although it may seem like a step up, it will probably not be in terms of overall good for the university. They will probably end up overspending on the football team to try and get better (i.e. getting $18million in donations for a football stadium instead of funding the entire athletic budget or academic programs), and in the end hurt other sports programs or the school in general.

MAC schools have traditionally gotten the bottom of the barrel in the midwest. If you can't make it academically at Notre Dame or even Ohio State, you go to Ohio University or Ball State - because they will take any football player they can. This does two things to the school - 1. lowers academic standards, and 2. hurts budgets for other sports when the "revenue" generating football team loses millions of dollars a year.

It is good in concept, but will probably be horrible in reality. College football economics only make sense for large enough schools to be able to support a team that doesn't win. If you don't fit that profile, it makes more sense to stay in FCS, where less scholarships, smaller stadiums, and less travel means a reasonable budget to keep. You still can be a great school (Appalachian State, Delaware, Villanova) in FCS.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    It is good in concept, but will probably be horrible in reality. College football economics only make sense for large enough schools to be able to support a team that doesn't win. If you don't fit that profile, it makes more sense to stay in FCS, where less scholarships, smaller stadiums, and less travel means a reasonable budget to keep. You still can be a great school (Appalachian State, Delaware, Villanova) in FCS.
    Here in Grand Rapids people have been clamoring for Grand Valley State, which has been a national power for the past 10 years in DII, to move up to DI. But your comment above is the exact reason their athletic director gave for why they won't.

Sure, they could probably compete. But the economics don't make sense. I'd rather dominate a lesser division than move up and be mediocre.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    MAC schools have traditionally gotten the bottom of the barrel in the midwest. If you can't make it academically at Notre Dame or even Ohio State, you go to Ohio University or Ball State - because they will take any football player they can. This does two things to the school - 1. lowers academic standards, and 2. hurts budgets for other sports when the "revenue" generating football team loses millions of dollars a year.
    Ouch, Zowie, Oof! Did you really mean to say this. I think those schools might take offense at the "if you can't make it academically" statement. Some kids fit in better at a smaller school rather than a super-large institutional purely for academics. Class size, student/professor ratios, etc.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2007
    It's been my understanding that Texas State is trying to gain more exposure. There's been consistent rumor and a bit of discussion by the state government to expand the number of flagship state universities (currently only Texas and Texas A&M are flagships). Texas State has been in the mix of possible candidates for elevation to flagship status, and Texas State administrators have been working tirelessly to improve their academic standing in hopes to strengthen their chances for such a decision. Given the fact that this is Texas, and sports (esp. football) seem to reign supreme, this could be a prudent move on their part. Being elevated to a flagship will significantly increase their state support and clout.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Ouch, Zowie, Oof! Did you really mean to say this. I think those schools might take offense at the "if you can't make it academically" statement. Some kids fit in better at a smaller school rather than a super-large institutional purely for academics. Class size, student/professor ratios, etc.
    I was speaking only in terms of football players, not student body as a whole. Very few kids who are good at football pick a small school over a big school if they can get the grades. I apologize if I wasn't clear.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Hey now, don't be trashing the MAC. FYI, NIU beat Minnesota this year and Purdue not too long ago. And we almost beat Illinois this year as well. In the MAC, we have no problem holding our own against the rest of the big boys.

And not everyone wants to go to a Big Ten school, football players included. Ever consider that? Some prefer to play for a smaller school that isn't in the national spotlight all the time yet still play in D1.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Hey now, don't be trashing the MAC. FYI, NIU beat Minnesota this year and Purdue not too long ago. And we almost beat Illinois this year as well. In the MAC, we have no problem holding our own against the rest of the big boys.

And not everyone wants to go to a Big Ten school, football players included. Ever consider that? Some prefer to play for a smaller school that isn't in the national spotlight all the time yet still play in D1.
    The MAC may get a few scraps here and there, but to claim that it holds its own against the rest of the big boys is a little silly.

That being said, I also don't think Hink's idea of dropping the MAC to FCS is a plausible idea either.

Let's call if for what it is. The MAC occasionally beats a Big 10 team. Outside of that, they don't do shit. The MAC can't even claim a Boise St. type of team.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    The MAC may get a few scraps here and there, but to claim that it holds its own against the rest of the big boys is a little silly.

That being said, I also don't think Hink's idea of dropping the MAC to FCS is a plausible idea either.

Let's call if for what it is. The MAC occasionally beats a Big 10 team. Outside of that, they don't do shit. The MAC can't even claim a Boise St. type of team.
    Well it's hard to make an estimate on how MAC schools would fare overall in a full season against other schools when they typically only play a few games a year against schools in larger conferences and also especially when some schools are more focused on winning their conference games. Regardless, not everyone's all about the uppity Big 10 or Big 12 schools. Why wallow in the vast abyss when you can stand out and make a name for yourself among a series of smaller schools? It's also a lot more fun as a fan going to a MAC game where you don't have to deal with excessive price gouging, corporatism, and droves of uppity alumni.
    Last edited by illinoisplanner; 13 Nov 2010 at 4:51 AM.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Man, what on earth happened to the Hoosiers today??? 83-20? That's the most points that the Badgers have scored in a single game since they beat Marquette 85-0 back in 1915. (And they were tied at 10-10 in the first quarter.)

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well it's hard to make an estimate on how MAC schools would fare overall in a full season against other schools when they typically only play a few games a year against schools in larger conferences and also especially when some schools are more focused on winning their conference games.
    I find it funny you harp on uppity alumni when you just were acting as one trying to support a team that is good maybe once every 5 years. And by good, I mean alright as there really have only been maybe a handful of good programs in the MAC in the last 20 years.

I will give the MAC 6 teams in the last 20 years - 1999 and 2001 Marshall (from 97-04 they were solid, although when they got good, they left the MAC for Conference USA...which says a lot); 2003 Miami Team with Ben Roethlesburger; 2003 Bowling Green Team with Omar Jacobs and Josh Harris; and 2009 Central Michigan team with Dan LaFevour. 2008 Ball State with Nate Davis shouldn't have ever been ranked because they were horrible, but we could throw them in for the sake of argument.

That is sad. Honestly, it does show why some schools just can't compete in the big leagues. I am all for college football, I am probably one of the biggest fans on earth. But I also believe that the way college football economy works today, it isn't realistic or reasonable to have some schools play in the big games. The MAC has shown over the last 20-30 years that they should probably be happy just winning in any division they play in. Currently they have 5 teams ranked in the bottom 20 of college football. That is almost half the conference. If it weren't for playing each other the rest of the league would probably have just as few of wins.

If it is really about the experience, the MAC and schools in similar places should save their school money and their students money, by cutting D1 football or by moving to FCS. Unfortunately in the world in which we live, college football is about getting money and winning. The MAC can't do either.

Regardless, not everyone's all about the uppity Big 10 or Big 12 schools. Why wallow in the vast abyss when you can stand out and make a name for yourself among a series of smaller schools? It's also a lot more fun as a fan going to a MAC game where you don't have to deal with excessive price gouging, corporatism, and droves of uppity alumni.
    Sure that is what a semi-talented player would argue. But honestly, if you are talented, and even have a shot at the NFL, you don't go to a MAC school. You don't even consider for a second a second tier school. Why would you? If you could get into Notre Dame, you would never consider Ball State. If you could play for the Buckeyes, you aren't even thinking about Kent State. If you can play in the Big House, do you think those kids dream of playing for Eastern Michigan? Really? Get real. If you are good enough, you play at a school that has prestige and the resources to make you a star. You don't play at a school that only plays on TV when you are getting killed by 50 by a team that paid to fly you in.

I have been to many MAC games, and I have yet been to one that was "more fun as a fan" than a Big 10 game. You have to be kidding me. I like high school football, but they aren't in the same league. Same as the MAC. Sorry.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I find it funny you harp on uppity alumni when you just were acting as one trying to support a team that is good maybe once every 5 years. And by good, I mean alright as there really have only been maybe a handful of good programs in the MAC in the last 20 years.

I will give the MAC 6 teams in the last 20 years - 1999 and 2001 Marshall (from 97-04 they were solid, although when they got good, they left the MAC for Conference USA...which says a lot); 2003 Miami Team with Ben Roethlesburger; 2003 Bowling Green Team with Omar Jacobs and Josh Harris; and 2009 Central Michigan team with Dan LaFevour. 2008 Ball State with Nate Davis shouldn't have ever been ranked because they were horrible, but we could throw them in for the sake of argument.

That is sad. Honestly, it does show why some schools just can't compete in the big leagues. I am all for college football, I am probably one of the biggest fans on earth. But I also believe that the way college football economy works today, it isn't realistic or reasonable to have some schools play in the big games. The MAC has shown over the last 20-30 years that they should probably be happy just winning in any division they play in. Currently they have 5 teams ranked in the bottom 20 of college football. That is almost half the conference. If it weren't for playing each other the rest of the league would probably have just as few of wins.

If it is really about the experience, the MAC and schools in similar places should save their school money and their students money, by cutting D1 football or by moving to FCS. Unfortunately in the world in which we live, college football is about getting money and winning. The MAC can't do either.
    Regarding uppity alumni, I'm talking about the snooty people that think they are inherently better because they went to a bigger school. I'm merely a lowly alumni at a little non-flagship school trying to be true to their school in defending it from such harsh criticism about how it's conference isn't worthy of D1 or whatever. It's like, if you're from a bigger school in a more prominent atheletic conference, that's great, but please show some humility and don't go around cutting other people's schools down.

And yes, the MAC does produce some good teams. Ball State, NIU, Toledo, Central Michigan, Ohio, Temple...all good at one point or another. Same as some of the bigger conferences, where some teams have better records and others not as much. I actually think that if NIU and Temple were in the Big Ten this season, they'd be faring better than Minnesota and Indiana. But actually, I'm quite content with those schools playing in the MAC instead. Better to be top-dog in a modest conference than 7th place in a bigger conference.

Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner
    Sure that is what a semi-talented player would argue. But honestly, if you are talented, and even have a shot at the NFL, you don't go to a MAC school. You don't even consider for a second a second tier school. Why would you? If you could get into Notre Dame, you would never consider Ball State. If you could play for the Buckeyes, you aren't even thinking about Kent State. If you can play in the Big House, do you think those kids dream of playing for Eastern Michigan? Really? Get real. If you are good enough, you play at a school that has prestige and the resources to make you a star. You don't play at a school that only plays on TV when you are getting killed by 50 by a team that paid to fly you in.

I have been to many MAC games, and I have yet been to one that was "more fun as a fan" than a Big 10 game. You have to be kidding me. I like high school football, but they aren't in the same league. Same as the MAC. Sorry.
    Why would a talented player play in the MAC? Like I said, so they can stand out and be "the star" of not only the team but the entire league, not just one star out of 100 in the BCS-ranked schools. There's also the chance that if they chose a bigger more prestigious conference and school, they could wind up playing for some team that may have more presige but is actually in a rut for a few seasons and so they don't get noticed or get to play for a good team. Also, there are other factors. Some athletes are smart enough to realize there's more to life than football. Most people can only get about 20 years out of professional football if they're lucky, and others have other academic passions. Not all academic programs at bigger schools are inherently better either, so perhaps they want to go to go play for a MAC school that also has a really good specialty academic program. Or maybe they want to be close to family and friends and not be in the national spotlight as much. Sure, they will be in the spotlight being the star athlete of the school and the league, but chances are they won't have to put up with as much B.S. from the national media.

As for the fan experience, to each his own, I guess. But I enjoy myself a lot more at an NIU game than at a Northwestern or Illinois game. I like to feel like I'm at a college football game in the heart of Midwest with rowdy, obnoxious fans that just stumbled in from tailgating, not a bunch of rich 50-year olds. I also don't like the atrocious costs to attend a bigger game with much crappier seats in a giant bowl. If I wanted the NFL experience, I'd go to an NFL game.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Regarding uppity alumni, I'm talking about the snooty people that think they are inherently better because they went to a bigger school.
    I understand what you are saying... I went to both. I agree that these people exist on earth. Not all small schools are bad. Now athletically it is different. But I understand your point.

And yes, the MAC does produce some good teams. Ball State, NIU, Toledo, Central Michigan, Ohio, Temple...all good at one point or another. Same as some of the bigger conferences, where some teams have better records and others not as much. I actually think that if NIU and Temple were in the Big Ten this season, they'd be faring better than Minnesota and Indiana. But actually, I'm quite content with those schools playing in the MAC instead. Better to be top-dog in a modest conference than 7th place in a bigger conference.
    I think that if you looked at the statistics, you would see otherwise, but I can understand your perspective. Although the MAC (as I showed above) does not produce teams worthy of much of anything on the national stage.

Why would a talented player play in the MAC? Like I said, so they can stand out and be "the star" of not only the team but the entire league, not just one star out of 100 in the BCS-ranked schools. There's also the chance that if they chose a bigger more prestigious conference and school, they could wind up playing for some team that may have more presige but is actually in a rut for a few seasons and so they don't get noticed or get to play for a good team. Also, there are other factors. Some athletes are smart enough to realize there's more to life than football. Most people can only get about 20 years out of professional football if they're lucky, and others have other academic passions. Not all academic programs at bigger schools are inherently better either, so perhaps they want to go to go play for a MAC school that also has a really good specialty academic program. Or maybe they want to be close to family and friends and not be in the national spotlight as much. Sure, they will be in the spotlight being the star athlete of the school and the league, but chances are they won't have to put up with as much B.S. from the national media.
    We obviously have different beliefs in what a talented football player is. If you are good enough in high school to play in the NFL, you are going to go to a program that has the ability to make you a star. Period. I can think of a handful of players who weren't recruited by bigger schools that have done well in the MAC, but not players who were recruited by bigger schools, picked a small school, and did great anyways.

I am not talking about the 95% of players who will never play in the NFL. I was a student athlete and I understand that most college student athletes "go pro" as the NCAA commercials says in something other than sports. The kids that aren't good enough to go pro, pick schools on lots of reasons. The kids who are good enough to go pro pick them on much fewer. Also the average NFL players play for 3 years. They also only get paid on average $450k. Which sounds like a lot, but $1.2 million doesn't sustain a life. So even those who make it to NFL aren't guaranteed success. If they were smart they would get their education, but that isn't what is sold to kids in high school.

As for the fan experience, to each his own, I guess. But I enjoy myself a lot more at an NIU game than at a Northwestern or Illinois game. I like to feel like I'm at a college football game in the heart of Midwest with rowdy, obnoxious fans that just stumbled in from tailgating, not a bunch of rich 50-year olds. I also don't like the atrocious costs to attend a bigger game with much crappier seats in a giant bowl. If I wanted the NFL experience, I'd go to an NFL game.
    I agree that the MAC has less "rowdy" fans. I think the last Ball State game I went to had maybe 7,000 people tops. If that. I was given the tickets as well, because I was an alumni. There is value in that kind of experience. I am not downplaying that. But maybe I just see more value in the kind of experience that makes 105,000 people want to come and see it happen live. Where getting tickets not only costs $60+ but are more often than not impossible to get. Where being an alumni just puts me in a pool to pay full price for crappy tickets each year. I guess I like knowing that the team I am watching could be the best team in college football that year. Watching a game in the Big House, the Horseshoe, Happy Valley, or even *shudder* the swamp, is something to experience. Seeing a game at any MAC stadium is not comparable to me I guess.

To each his own. I agree they are different experiences.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    ... I am all for college football, I am probably one of the biggest fans on earth. But I also believe that the way college football economy works today, it isn't realistic or reasonable to have some schools play in the big games. The MAC has shown over the last 20-30 years that they should probably be happy just winning in any division they play in. Currently they have 5 teams ranked in the bottom 20 of college football. That is almost half the conference. If it weren't for playing each other the rest of the league would probably have just as few of wins.

The MAC football program survive by betting beat up by the Big 6 conferences. Since they are DI the large programs love to schedule a MAC team to tune up for conference play and the win counts towards bowl eligibility. Toledo, NIU,Temple and Ohio all were paid big bucks to beg slaughtered by a BIG 10/12 team. Each of those programs gets between $400k and $1 million to get embarrassed. I think its sad.

I would love to see the big 6 conferences (BIG 10/12 BIG12/10. SEC, ACC, PAC 10 and Big EAST) agree to only play each other for non conference games. The mid level conferences get screwed like CUSA, MWC, WAC but its preferable to watching Notre Dame blow out WMU. If this happened it would be easier to know which teams are truly the best in the nation...but the small schools need their paydays and big schools need their wins to get to a big payday bowl game.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The Gators were horrible against South Carolina. The old Ballcoach came home and took care of business. Congrats on the Gamecocks first SEC East division championship. Now they get to play Auburn (again).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    The MAC football program survive by betting beat up by the Big 6 conferences. Since they are DI the large programs love to schedule a MAC team to tune up for conference play and the win counts towards bowl eligibility. Toledo, NIU,Temple and Ohio all were paid big bucks to beg slaughtered by a BIG 10/12 team. Each of those programs gets between $400k and $1 million to get embarrassed. I think its sad.

I would love to see the big 6 conferences (BIG 10/12 BIG12/10. SEC, ACC, PAC 10 and Big EAST) agree to only play each other for non conference games. The mid level conferences get screwed like CUSA, MWC, WAC but its preferable to watching Notre Dame blow out WMU. If this happened it would be easier to know which teams are truly the best in the nation...but the small schools need their paydays and big schools need their wins to get to a big payday bowl game.
    There is an interesting piece in Sport Illustrated about a playoff system and how the Big 6 schools support the system for the smaller schools to go bowling. It also states that even small schools lose money on going to a bowl after travel and expenses are paid. Even Ohio State lost like $75k last year winning the Fiesta Bowl. College football makes very little money for the schools. Even those that matter like the Big6 schools....

------------------------------------

As for the weekly recap. I had a bad week in predicting... 2-3 making me 14-12 for the year.

We learned a lot about the top teams this week. Many squeeked out wins. Auburn and Oregon both probably should have lost, but showed that they can win in tough situations. TCU was challenged by an inferior team and barely pulled it off.

Oregon over Cal. Ugly. How does this happen to such an electrifying offense. Cal's defense is bad. This is trouble for the big O.

Auburn over Georgia. Georgia came out rolling, but fell flat. Auburn and their (falling?) star Cam Newton came through again. They didn't look great though at all. I think Alabama is going to get them.

TCU over SDSU. Really? TCU made this a game. They got behind, they came back, then they let SDSU come back. SDSU isn't good, let alone national championship good. I think Boise should play over TCU, the Utah loss this week is telling.

Boise crushed. Because that is what Boise does.

LSU is stupid. Really, LA Monroe at this point in the season? Really?

Wisconsin looked amazing. Indiana isn't good, but they aren't that bad. Wisconsin is the real deal. Even without John Clay, they threw up 80 points. Hmm the only loss for the Ohio State Buckeyes is to this great team....

Stanford shouldn't have beat Arizona State. But they did. I look forward to them losing to Cal next week... alright fine I know they won't...

Ohio State played horribly and stepped it up in the second half to put Penn State away. When the Ohio State defense plays to its potential, they are the best in the land. Having Ross Homan in the middle is nice too.

Nebraska over Kansas. Easy win. I look forward to the Texas A&M game this week.

Alabama handled MSU. I don't think that Alabama deserves to be ranked where they are, but they are still a solid team. If they play team defense they will stop Cam Newton.

Okie State over Texas. Man Texas is bad. I keep trying to give them credit... and I really shouldn't. They are horrible. Seriously.

USC over Arizona. I think everyone saw this one coming. Arizona has been overrated all year. They barely beat Iowa, who is good, but no one else. They are going to get crushed by Oregon this week.

Notre Dame over Utah. This is telling for TCU. Although they thought it was a quality win, in the end Utah is overrated. Notre Dame isn't good this year. They played well, but not well enough to beat a team that was ranked in the Top 10 this year...

Going along with my College Football annoyances, is that smaller conferences are now playing on random nights of the week, so they can get some cable time. This week the MAC had teams play on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday nights, along with the traditional Saturday games. Well that is until College Basketball games start taking over that time slot...

Predictions
    -Appalachian St. over Florida (sorry Planit)
    -Ohio State over Iowa.
    -Arkansas over Mississippi State.
    -Baylor over Oklahoma.
    -Texas A&M over Nebraska.
    -SDSU over Utah.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Sounds like a pretty good game going on there at Ann Arbor!

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Northern Illinois clobbered Ball State today 59-21 to clinch the MAC West and secure a spot in the MAC championship title game on Dec. 3 at Ford Field in Detroit. This is the NIU Huskies' 8th straight win and they remain undefeated, 7-0, in the MAC Conference and 9-2 overall. They have one more game to go on Black Friday against Eastern Michigan.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Northern Illinois clobbered Ball State today 59-21 to clinch the MAC West and secure a spot in the MAC championship title game on Dec. 3 at Ford Field in Detroit. This is the NIU Huskies' 8th straight win and they remain undefeated, 7-0, in the MAC Conference and 9-2 overall. They have one more game to go on Black Friday against Eastern Michigan.
    Not sure how you can get excited about beating Ball State, but congrats. Eastern Michigan is worse than Ball State, so I would expect to see a win there as well.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Not sure how you can get excited about beating Ball State, but congrats. Eastern Michigan is worse than Ball State, so I would expect to see a win there as well.
    I'm just excited that my school's football team is having one of the best seasons I've ever seen. I could care less about their MAC opponents.

They're now #26 on the AP poll.
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2012 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club