Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 College Football Thread

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    In previous discussions, I often referred to the Big 10 as the 'Big Whateveritsnumberisnow™' conference.

In all seriousness, though, I would rename it to the 'Big Midwest' conference and rename the 'Pac 10' to the 'Big Pacific' or something else not number-specific.

Mike
    Here is the answer for the Big Ten.

http://www.b16ten.org/
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    What happens to KU, KSU, ISU, Mizzou, and Baylor? I can't imagine five major-conference schools suddenly dropping to mid-majors. Considering KU men's basketball and ISU wrestling and women's basketball (I know, I know) it doesn't seem right for those two to be downgraded.

What I don't get is that conference and schools want money but they also want wins - that's why Nebraska and the other big boys play SE Michigan Tech and whatever for their first non-conference games; wins! You know the system is set up wrong when wins are more important than quality games. Case in point - ISU is the closest D1 school to U of MN yet they refuse to play each other in non-conference games because neither team is guaranteed a win. Even though it would be sold out at either location, a win is more important.
    ISU did play Minnesota in football this year - Insight Bowl - and won.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I can see the Cyclones joining with Nebraska and so forth in the Big (was) Ten. It would complete a good, tight circle of geographic rivals, including Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I didn't read the entire thread but I welcome Nebraska to the Big 10! I've always hated the first few games of the season when Michigan squandered away the time by playing teams like Southern Missouri Valley State or ODU when they should always have been trying to get a least one big non-conference school in there like Nebraska or Oklahoma (not counting Notre Dame). ...Though I may not be real happy with Michigan's results for the next couple of years...

And neither Texas nor A&M have officially agreed to the Pac 10 yet so I'm hoping that at least one of them will come to the Big 10 (or maybe both?). From what I've heard, they are both just waiting on an official offer from the Big 10 which may come sometime this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

In the end though, I'd be happy with any of the teams they are talking about coming to the Big 10: Kansas and/or KState or Missouri or Syracuse or Rutgers from the Big East. I never see Iowa State mentioned as coming to the Big 10 though but I think they would be a good fit and could have a built in rivalry with University of Iowa (and even Minnesota).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well it happened....

Nebraska is now in the Big 10. Kinda weird really.

The next weeks will be interesting to see if Texas and everyone else in the Big 12 want to stick together. I think that everyone else will want to get out of dodge to go to conferences that share revenue and treat each team equally.

In a related note, why would anyone ever let Texas take a bigger share of the pot of the Big 12 take? Who cares if they are more successful. I can't think of the last time Northwestern won something, and yet I wouldn't imagine shorting them... how will they ever get good?

The more I read, the more scared I am becoming of the end of the NCAA in the college football world. I hope we don't get to that point... but this four conference thing is getting scary. Later academics!!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    The more I read, the more scared I am becoming of the end of the NCAA in the college football world. I hope we don't get to that point... but this four conference thing is getting scary. Later academics!!!
    I can see how somebody would be worried about all this realignment taking over the NCAA football world for the worse, but I think it could actually be a good thing if we have only a few large conferences of about 16 or 18 teams each (Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, ACC?). Once a conference gets so large, they will be much more likely to introduce a playoff for the conference title and I can only hope and dream that that would lead to some sort of playoff or tournament for the overall BCS Championship.

Besides, IMO, until they do something to change the way the National Champion is crowned, the cannot really make NCAA Division 1 football much worse than it is. And nobody really cares about teams like Western Michigan or East Tennessee State before the realignment and nobody is going to care about them after the realignment either.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Nebraska is now in the Big 10. Kinda weird really.
    This is a detail, but... Nebraska will not officially be in the Big Ten, nor Colorado in the Pac-10, until 2012. The current Big 12 bylaws require a 2-year notice when a school wishes to leave the conference. I believe Nebraska has stated an intent to try to negotiate a year out of that period, so there's a change they may officially be in the Big Ten by next season (2011).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I can see how somebody would be worried about all this realignment taking over the NCAA football world for the worse, but I think it could actually be a good thing if we have only a few large conferences of about 16 or 18 teams each
    The issue is Boise State, TCU, etc. Schools that are competitive, but not in the larger conferences. Also, once you get to be a big group of money hungry leagues, you no longer care about standards or "keeping it a level playing field". I think the concept is good, but we are going down a slippery slope.

Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    This is a detail, but... Nebraska will not officially be in the Big Ten, nor Colorado in the Pac-10, until 2012. The current Big 12 bylaws require a 2-year notice when a school wishes to leave the conference. I believe Nebraska has stated an intent to try to negotiate a year out of that period, so there's a change they may officially be in the Big Ten by next season (2011).
    Good thing that Big 12 won't exist anymore so that won't matter. Nebraska will be on the schedule and playing in the Big 10 in 2011. Count on it. You think they are going to go to all this work to have the Big12 limp for a year or two... and the Big 10 not get the benefits...not a chance...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The issue is Boise State, TCU, etc. Schools that are competitive, but not in the larger conferences. Also, once you get to be a big group of money hungry leagues, you no longer care about standards or "keeping it a level playing field". I think the concept is good, but we are going down a slippery slope.
    I agree that smaller competitive schools like Boise State and TCU are definitely an issue. But Boise State was an issue in the WAC and will continue to be an issue in the Mountain West until the BCS either expands to more conferences or does a tournament similar to what the NCAA does for basketball. Once Boise State is officially in the Mountain West and if they can continue to perform how they have in the last few years and if we get a few good seasons out of TCU, BYU, and/or Colorado State, I think there will be more pressure to bring conferences like the Mountain West into the BCS.

The rest of the D1 teams want something done with the format, the critics and sportswriters want something done with the format, the President wants something done with the format, and most importantly, the networks and the fans want something done with the format! It's only a matter of time! The only holdout right now is the people who actually run it. There will come a point when the money from the networks and the pressure from the fans will become too great and they will finally cave shake up how the champion is crowned.

I think all of this league realignment would be a bit more worrisome if teams were leaving smaller conferences for mid-majors or mid-majors for the majors. But essentially, all this is doing is changing the few major conferences. At the start of the 2011 or 2012 season, it looks like we will still have the same number of teams in the major conferences of the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 10, SEC, ACC, Big East, etc... You're still going to have the same schools in leagues like Conference USA or the Horizon League get shafted when it comes to Selection Sunday for basketball and football teams like Boise State get excluded from the BCS because they are not in the Pac 10.

I'll start to worry when the Big East guts the Horizon League for Valparaiso and Butler or when TCU and Colorado State jump ship to the Big 12 (or whatever it may be called in a couple of seasons).

Registered
    Jun 2007

Good thing that Big 12 won't exist anymore so that won't matter. Nebraska will be on the schedule and playing in the Big 10 in 2011. Count on it. You think they are going to go to all this work to have the Big12 limp for a year or two... and the Big 10 not get the benefits...not a chance...
    I actually read an article shortly after posting that which reported that Nebraska had successfully petitioned for a waiver for the 2-year requirement and will be starting Big Ten play in 2011. So... you're right.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    ISU did play Minnesota in football this year - Insight Bowl - and won.
    I meant on an annual basis.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    "Hi, my name is the University of Oklahoma. I'm in an abusive relationship with the University of Texas, but I'm too dependent on him and insecure in my own identity to gather the balls to branch out on my own. Instead, I'll give him more control over my life in hopes that he'll turn some altruistic stone and start treating me with respect."

Any semblance of the Big 8 is now gone. F*ck the Big 12 (10). And f*ck Texas. The Big 12 (10) is now the SWC.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    "Hi, my name is the University of Oklahoma. I'm in an abusive relationship with the University of Texas, but I'm too dependent on him and insecure in my own identity to gather the balls to branch out on my own. Instead, I'll give him more control over my life in hopes that he'll turn some altruistic stone and start treating me with respect."

Any semblance of the Big 8 is now gone. F*ck the Big 12 (10). And f*ck Texas. The Big 12 (10) is now the SWC.
    Don't worry Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and everyones favorite religous nerd Baylor suffer from the same complex.

Since the talk of the PAC 16 is dead (for now), I for one am disappointed. Most ASU fans were torn; they did not want to play OU and Texas. I loved the idea. You don't get better by doing the same thing. Plus I was hoping some of the passion from OU, Texas and A&M would rub off on my Sun Devils.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    I meant on an annual basis.
    I know but I'll take what I can get.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Unless the Big 12 (10) gets a couple more schools to fill the gaps, this is a horrible turn of events. Honestly, this is much worse than if the Big 12(10) just exploded. Now, they will put long term contracts in place and we won't even have the options to reformulate the conferences for many years.

Does that mean Missouri is staying put? No one else wants to go to the PAC-10? Or just because Texas is staying does that automatically mean everyone can't go to the PAC-10? I am confused as to why just because Texas announced they are staying in the Big12(10) that now all of the sudden there is not chance any other schools will bolt.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I am confused as to why just because Texas announced they are staying in the Big12(10) that now all of the sudden there is not chance any other schools will bolt.
    Because only Nebraska had enough balls to try to organize conference opinion against Texas. Even from the start of the conference, all of Texas' demands were voted on and approved with either 1 nay vote (Nebraska) or 2-3 nays (Nebraska + random assortment of former Big 8 schools it could convince to fight Texas' bullying). Now that Nebraska is out of the conference, everyone else are just going to lay down and become sheep. I hate that. Texas is going to run all over everyone, while everyone is pleading with them to do so. I'm disgusted, even at my own alma mater.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Once Boise State is officially in the Mountain West
    Say it and it shall be true...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276064

This is an obvious move and pretty well expected. I don't think this is going to cause much trouble. We will see if Boise can dominate this conference...

edit: Wow this happened already.... umm I'm an idiot....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I heard they are going to rename the "Big 12" the "Big Texas" Conference.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    They might as well... or even "Texas + b*tches".

Registered
    Jul 2006
    No, it's going be the Big Mack Conference to honor Texas coach Mack Brown.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2003
    They might as well... or even "Texas + b*tches".
    How about "Big Texas (and a few other schools from a few other places)"
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    How about "Big Texas (and a few other schools from a few other places)"
    The Longhorn Conference
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Rumblings now that Utah will leave the MWC and join the Pac 10 (12?) along with Colorado. The MWC wants another school or two to replace and make it an even 10.

It looks like the Big 12 is saved which is good news to schools like Kansas, Mizzou, Iowa State, Baylor, etc, who would have been left out if Texas etc. had left. I think the Big Ten stays at 12 for now with Nebraska in the fold but I have no doubt they will keep evaluating their options in the event Notre Dame might eventually do the sensible thing and join them.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Rumblings now that Utah will leave the MWC and join the Pac 10 (12?) along with Colorado. The MWC wants another school or two to replace and make it an even 10.
    Source: Utah to Pac-10 is imminent - From ESPN

If this occurs, likely candidates to fill out the MWC?
    Fresno State
    Nevada
    Houston
    UTEP
    Idaho

Registered
    Apr 2006
    How about the TAC 10 conference...Texas and Clingers.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2012 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 245
    Last post: 11 Jan 2013, 11:27 AM