Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roaches: ruining both one's day and the quality of one's life

Registered
    May 2005

Roaches: ruining both one's day and the quality of one's life

Co-worker and I went to our favorite lunchtime Chinese buffet for the last time today. Why? Because we saw a cockroach scurry across the stack of plates people use. I'm equally sad and grossed out.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Co-worker and I went to our favorite lunchtime Chinese buffet for the last time today. Why? Because we saw a cockroach scurry across the stack of plates people use. I'm equally sad and grossed out.
    Most restaurants have or have had roach infestations at some point. Its awfully hard to keep those little buggers out. If I were you I would report it to the local health department and then continue to patronize the restaurant. Think of all the roaches you don't see at other restaurants you frequent - they are there.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Most restaurants have or have had roach infestations at some point. Its awfully hard to keep those little buggers out. If I were you I would report it to the local health department and then continue to patronize the restaurant. Think of all the roaches you don't see at other restaurants you frequent - they are there.
    Understood, and I've worked at restaurants that have had roaches. But it was always confined to the kitchen area. When they make their way to the dining area, that's when I wonder what the hell the kitchen is like.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have actually never seen a cockroach in Michigan and I go to some pretty dirty restaurants including today's foray into a Mexican tacqueria with folding chairs, kitchen separated from the dinning area by little more than a curtain, and the bathroom sink outside in the dinning room... But I had a hankering for huevos rancheros so it had to be done.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I realize this is going to sound disgusting to those of you not located in Hawaii or another tropical location, but this is the same reason I am desperate to get out of my apartment

No matter how much I scrub, keep food in air-tight containers, bomb, spray, go crazy, I cannot get rid of my roaches. It makes me want to vomit and then die. I cannot find another apartment that will accept two 100+ lb dogs that is in my price range though, so I have made the decisive choice to move to Seattle.

See you Seattle-based planners early next year.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Roaches seriously give me the heeby jeebies. I do NOT like roaches. One of the things that I absolutely hated about living in tropical/subtropical climates was the pervasiveness of roaches, I mean they were everywhere, no matter how well you cleaned. So I can certainly understand moving on that basis alone.

WSU MUP I've seen more roaches in Michigan than I care to.

Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    my first apartment in BC-ville in Boston had them -
    it was awful because I didn't have a bed and was sleeping on a comforter
    the good news is I lost tons of weight from not eating and wore a size 2 wedding dress!

Luckily I have not had them in my homelife since but I did see some at various bars in NOLA and some at an unnamed cruiseline sales call in Miami last week

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Roaches seriously give me the heeby jeebies. I do NOT like roaches. One of the things that I absolutely hated about living in tropical/subtropical climates was the pervasiveness of roaches, I mean they were everywhere, no matter how well you cleaned. So I can certainly understand moving on that basis alone.
    I thought the ones in the Carolinas or Florida grew pretty large... then I moved to Okinawa, Japan and so the biggest ones ever. Until I spent a week in Guam!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I thought the ones in the Carolinas or Florida grew pretty large... then I moved to Okinawa, Japan and so the biggest ones ever. Until I spent a week in Guam!
    My wife and I were in Orlando before we got married. We were in a hotel suite and I opened the dishwasher and there was a big ass roach sitting in the bottom of the appliance. I quickly closed the door and did not tell my wife, because I did not feel like switching rooms for just one more night.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Hahaha! Those godzilla sized roaches that they have in Guam are one of the same varieties we have here in the Aloha State. We have 3 basic varieties here, though probably several subspecies.

1-the tiny, fast ones that reproduce every few days and are impossible to get rid of
    2- the giant godzilla roaches that fly, are super fast, and will charge at you
    3- the giant godzilla roaches that are very slow and stay on the ground

I don't really mind the large ones. They are easy to control and usually attract the attention of the dogs/cats who then hunt them down for us. It is the little ones that I loathe.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Roaches certainly ruined the quality of my life the summer I shared an apartment with another college student on New York's Upper West Side. Once I turned out the light in the bathroom for the evening, I wouldn't dare turn it on - or even enter the bathroom! - until daylight. Even so, I still found roaches on the wall of the shower in the morning.

I guess it doesn't really come as a shock to anyone that there are a lot of roaches in NYC. I even saw them in a ritzy building in the East 60s where a friend lived.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We wake up to a dead roach on the WTF every couple of months. One of ZG's cats will leave it as an offering of peace after an early morning playtime (between a cat and the roach, you gutter minds). I squish them dead around the pool deck--after I slip on a flip-flop.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My house is old. It seems to go through phases of the year in terms of bugs. We don't exactly get roaches, but we get all kinds of bugs that come in swarms. I think I need new windows. My wife hates them. My kid loves them...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Never seen a roach in real-life. Am I not paying attention or are they fairly rare in a more arid climate?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Never seen a roach in real-life. Am I not paying attention or are they fairly rare in a more arid climate?
    Generally speaking the more moisture the climate has the more pervasive the roaches. Cockroaches, however, are Mother Natures ultimate survivors and they can manage to live anywhere there is access to water. I remember the chow hall in 29 Palms used to have roaches, and that was a very arid environment.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Generally speaking the more moisture the climate has the more pervasive the roaches. Cockroaches, however, are Mother Natures ultimate survivors and they can manage to live anywhere there is access to water. I remember the chow hall in 29 Palms used to have roaches, and that was a very arid environment.
    That being said, they have been known to go up to 3 months without food or water and can hold their breath for up to 45 mins. In essence, they are evil bugs who will not die.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup.....

We've had multiple restaurants in our area shut down for complete remodels or even demolition due to bugs. Our local taco bell had ants and roaches so bad it was shut for weeks for cleaning and new equipment.....this in a place where regulators heads are best kept on walls
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Sorry, I though this thread was about doobies. Carry on.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post

Bear
    okay this is the post of the day

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Quit showing your age.

Post 12345
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Ah yes...the Palmetto Bug aka the American Cockroach. Crunchy when you squish 'em. Most of the roaches people are familiar with are German Cockroaches. Sri Lanka has some very impressive cockroaches clocking in at 2-3" in length. RT found one in a bag of ours and told me to kill it. I said ok give me a shoe and she hands me a thin rubber flip flop. I turned to her and said "If I hit it with that it's going to turn around and laugh at me." We ended up trapping it and putting it outside.

The first apartment I lived in at Rutgers had them due to my nasty neighbor upstairs (Hoarders anyone?). Fortunately when they moved out they were able to eradicate the problem. In the second apartment I lived in I never saw a single one. The new apartment is critter free too.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    I first saw a roach when I was 21 years old and traveling in Fiji. It was huge, at least four inches long and it flew. Not impressive.

I grew up in Baltimore and can honestly say roaches were exceedingly rare. People knew of them and it would be mentioned in the context of the urban neighborhoods, but houses in the more leafy parts of the city and the suburbs rarely had roaches and if one found one, you certainly didn't mention it to your neighbors out of embarrasment.

In general, the further north and the further west you go in the US the less likely you are to have roaches. I lived in a crappy apartment building in Denver but it was roach free as Denver is too high and too dry.

Now that I live in Dubai roaches are a common fact of life. I don't have them in my apartment (so far, knock on wood), but others have them and they range from tiny spec size brown flecks to the 2-3 inch long scary buggers. They can be nearly impossible to get rid of short of a visit from pest control.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Hahaha! Those godzilla sized roaches that they have in Guam are one of the same varieties we have here in the Aloha State. We have 3 basic varieties here, though probably several subspecies.

1-the tiny, fast ones that reproduce every few days and are impossible to get rid of
    2- the giant godzilla roaches that fly, are super fast, and will charge at you
    3- the giant godzilla roaches that are very slow and stay on the ground

I don't really mind the large ones. They are easy to control and usually attract the attention of the dogs/cats who then hunt them down for us. It is the little ones that I loathe.
    Get a couple of pet geckos. They eat roach eggs. However, that does give them a slight - ahem - elimination problem that you will notice when you remove pictures from the walls. When we lived in Hawaii the second time (I was born there first time - don't remember and it was military housing), we made sure to allow a few geckos in the house. With your two large dogs, though, you may have to replace the geckos on a regular basis!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Get a couple of pet geckos. They eat roach eggs. However, that does give them a slight - ahem - elimination problem that you will notice when you remove pictures from the walls. When we lived in Hawaii the second time (I was born there first time - don't remember and it was military housing), we made sure to allow a few geckos in the house. With your two large dogs, though, you may have to replace the geckos on a regular basis!
    Yes indeed. When in residence in Sri Lanka I had to convince RT to leave the lizards alone since they ate the creepy crawlies. They are very efficient.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Haha! Yes that is exactly the problem. Between the 2 cats and 2 dogs, a gecko wouldn't last a day in my home. All is well however, I am putting serious energy into moving back to the PacNW. I even have a job interview pending in Seattle. Just have to keep greasing those wheels and I will be happily back on the mainland in no time.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Losing one's wallet or keys
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 21 Mar 2014, 8:27 PM
  2. Determining one's political party:
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 07 Jun 2007, 11:56 AM
  3. Zman, this one's for you