Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the outcome of tomorrow's presidential election will be?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins electoral and popular vote

20 76.92%
  • Romney wins electoral and popular vote

2 7.69%
  • Gary Johnson wins electoral and popular vote :thumb:

0 0%
  • Obama wins electoral vote, Romney wins popular vote

4 15.38%
  • Romney wins electoral vote, Obama wins popular vote

0 0%
  • Obama and Romney tie in the electoral vote

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The First 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    He'll win in some of the Deep South states and Iowa, but either Mitt Romney or Newt (whichever emerges as the frontrunner) will carry the big states and ultimately win the nomination. I'm predicting it right here.
    Romney has a shot. Gingrich doesn't. If he wins the nomination - he loses in a landslide in the general. I'm predicting it right here.

ps. Landslide is over 10 points...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    As with every Republican primary, if the moderate candidate (in this case Mitt Romney) wins enough of the big states (like MI, MA, NY, CA, IL, VA...states I think he can surely win, along with some key early primaries like NH and SC), then the extreme right will just have to hold their nose and vote for him in the general. A lot of people in our party weren't thrilled about voting for McCain last time around, but they did it anyway.
    I think the big challenge for the Republicans this round is determining where the center is - a challenge Boehner is feeling very strongly right now. The fear is that, if Romney (or a similar "moderate") is perceived by the far right to be too progressive for them, they may just sit the election out in protest rather than holding their nose and vote.

Its very hard, I think, for the Republicans (and everyone else) to figure out how representative the Tea Party contingency is and how far they should shift to accommodate their views. I think Romney (who is trying to distance himself from Mass's Health Care legislation passed under his watch and signed by him) may be viewed as "too establishment" by some on the far right - but how many? That's the big question.

But that's presumably what the primaries are for.

My big concern about 2012 is that the right has moved further right and left further left, creating quite a large middle, the nature of which may not be that desirable to a lot of voters. Add to that hard times and a rapidly changing world and there is a recipe for polarized infighting of a most nasty nature.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Romney has a shot. Gingrich doesn't. If he wins the nomination - he loses in a landslide in the general. I'm predicting it right here.

ps. Landslide is over 10 points...
    If Newt wins the nomination, I think the GOP is dead for years. Newt is a class A moron and overall bad person and most Americans know this. It would reflect very very badly on the party. If Obama weren't such a liar and flip-flopper Romney wouldn't have a chance due to all of his erratic flip-flopping and position switching for political expediency.

I do think it will be Romney. Romney vs. Obama. Wow. We won't hear one bit of truth or honest debate in the entire general election. What a cluster our political system has become.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    If Newt wins the nomination, I think the GOP is dead for years. Newt is a class A moron and overall bad person and most Americans know this.
    Won't happen. As for the moron comment, I'd classify him more as a bright guy with incurable foot-in-mouth disease. Overall bad person...meh...at times he is a miserable excuse for a human being, I'll grant you that.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

If Newt wins the nomination, I think the GOP is dead for years. Newt is a class A moron and overall bad person and most Americans know this. It would reflect very very badly on the party. If Obama weren't such a liar and flip-flopper Romney wouldn't have a chance due to all of his erratic flip-flopping and position switching for political expediency.

I do think it will be Romney. Romney vs. Obama. Wow. We won't hear one bit of truth or honest debate in the entire general election. What a cluster our political system has become.
    Obama is a Clinton Wannabe me thinks.....I wonder who his intern is??
    If Obama keeps screwing the middle class, I might vote Republican next year just to watch the train wreck it creates
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I see that presidential hopeful Donald Trump has released his birth certificate (though not the official state-issued one) and questions why Obama won't pony up his.

Of course the Prez won't respond to this classy, classy guy's challenge. But it would be funny if Obama said he would release his birth certificate if Trump will finally explain, once and for all, what the hell is going on with his hair.

I means, really? Is that real hair? Is that the world's most ambitious comb forward? And if it is an animal perching on his noggin - what species and how often does he have to feed it? Can it get a top-level security clearance?

The voters have a right to know.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I see that presidential hopeful Donald Trump has released his birth certificate (though not the official state-issued one) and questions why Obama won't pony up his.

Of course the Prez won't respond to this classy, classy guy's challenge. But it would be funny if Obama said he would release his birth certificate if Trump will finally explain, once and for all, what the hell is going on with his hair.

I means, really? Is that real hair? Is that the world's most ambitious comb forward? And if it is an animal perching on his noggin - what species and how often does he have to feed it? Can it get a top-level security clearance?

The voters have a right to know.
    I think I would like to see a birth certificate for his hair. I think it may have been born and raised somewhere other than the US.

Registered
    May 2004
    Pawlenty has an interesting campaign strategy.

A 15-year-old girl found a campaign worker from Alabama banging on her Ankeny family's back door early Wednesday morning.
    Chloe Steward told KCCI she heard her dog barking around 3 a.m. and went to investigate. She said she found a man trying to get into the back door.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Pawlenty has an interesting campaign strategy.
    Psshaw... Republicans don't go back door.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Psshaw... Republicans don't go back door.
    Not even Log Cabin Republicans?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Perhaps the Republican National Convention will actually matter, like it did 100 plus years ago, where the nominee wasn't known. Could be interesting.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Not even Log Cabin Republicans?
    My vote for quote of the day!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So we now have for GOP candidates:

Declared:
    -Newt Gingrich
    -Herman Cain
    -Gary Johnson
    -Ron Paul
    -Rick Santorum

Not Yet Declared But Will:
    -Mitt Romney
    -Tim Pawlenty
    -Mitch Daniels

No chance in hell but will:
    -Sarah Palin
    -Michelle Bachmann

Out:
    -Haley Barbour
    -Mike Huckabee
    -Donald Trump
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Rick Perry?

For reals?

Paul Ryan?

For reals?

These are two of the least popular politicians in the country at the moment. Why would anyone be seriously talking about them having a chance?
    Last edited by imaplanner; 25 May 2011 at 11:23 AM.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Rick Perry?

For reals?

Paul Ryan?

For reals?

These are two of the least popular politicians in the country at the moment. Why would anyone be seriously talking about them having a chance?
    Ryan cooked his own goose with the budget plan. He would win the deeply red states but that's about it.

Perry has done enough crazy stuff that it would come back to haunt him, worse than Palin.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Obama In Toledo

President Obama will be in Toledo next week. Toledo has a pair of giant Chrysler factories and he will be at one of them.....as yet unannounced. Without a doubt, this is a re-election visit. Gives him a chance to talk about the recent payback of the big government loan to Chrysler, manufacturing jobs "coming back" (somewhat), new technologies and "green" (Toledo has major solar panel factories).....and begin a "schmoozfest" with the UAW (and labor in general).

Whether you agree with our President or not, you have to admit that he needs to campaign just as much as the folks on the other side.

2012 is a tad more than a half-year away.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    President Obama will be in Toledo next week. Toledo has a pair of giant Chrysler factories and he will be at one of them.....as yet unannounced. Without a doubt, this is a re-election visit. Gives him a chance to talk about the recent payback of the big government loan to Chrysler, manufacturing jobs "coming back" (somewhat), new technologies and "green" (Toledo has major solar panel factories).....and begin a "schmoozfest" with the UAW (and labor in general).

Whether you agree with our President or not, you have to admit that he needs to campaign just as much as the folks on the other side.

2012 is a tad more than a half-year away.

Bear
    Will Mr. Joe The Plumber be there? Or is he too busy on a speaking/book/media tour?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Current Texas governor Rick Perry says he will consider a run for the Presidency. This is not a formal declaration of candidacy. I'm not sure what it is. All I can say is that I hope he decides NOT to run.

Story: http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...nsider_wh.html

Registered
    May 2005
    I can't wait for the Republican primary season to begin. It will be a bloodbath and fun to watch!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Current Texas governor Rick Perry says he will consider a run for the Presidency. This is not a formal declaration of candidacy. I'm not sure what it is. All I can say is that I hope he decides NOT to run.

Story: http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...nsider_wh.html
    I saw a poll indicating that less than 10 percent of Texas republicans would vote for him for president.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I saw a poll indicating that less than 10 percent of Texas republicans would vote for him for president.
    I saw a poll that said that you can't trust anything you read in a poll.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm firmly convinced that had it not been for national politics at the time, making the "D" effectively a scarlet letter in races nationwide and resulting in record numbers of straight-ticket Republican voters in Texas, Perry would have lost to Bill White. Actually, had Bill White led a more effective campaign, he might have still pulled off the upset. Perry is a skilled campaigner though.

Perry, while politically savvy and a helluva survivor, is profoundly unpopular within the state (probably not down to 10% support from Republicans, but I bet he is down to around 30%). Not to mention the incredible number of skeletons in his political closet.

When he wrote his book "Fed Up" and started a book tour just after the 2010 elections, I suspected he might run. If he starts suddenly talking about countries that end in "-stan" like he is some kind of foreign policy expert, then we'll know for sure.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    Obama can't be too excited about today's jobs report. If it's a sign of things to come, he may be in serious trouble.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Obama can't be too excited about today's jobs report. If it's a sign of things to come, he may be in serious trouble.
    And the numbers were very unexpected.

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    And the numbers were very unexpected.

Mike
    I don't understand why the jobs aren't being created. We extended the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy with a lot of talk about how it would help spur job creation.

Hmmmmmm........

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:44 PM