Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the outcome of tomorrow's presidential election will be?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins electoral and popular vote

20 76.92%
  • Romney wins electoral and popular vote

2 7.69%
  • Gary Johnson wins electoral and popular vote :thumb:

0 0%
  • Obama wins electoral vote, Romney wins popular vote

4 15.38%
  • Romney wins electoral vote, Obama wins popular vote

0 0%
  • Obama and Romney tie in the electoral vote

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The First 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Registered
    Feb 2007
    2011, meet 1937. I guess we'll never learn that the exact wrong way to deal with a deflationary spiral is to go into full-on austerity mode.

Hopefully we aren't looking at another 1939 in a couple years, though the possibility of Europe completely falling apart on a monetary level is looking more and more likely. I was skeptical that the euro would disintegrate as recently as a couple months ago, but it's all but inevitable now, with the end of QE2 here and no further monetary or fiscal stimulus coming on either side of the Atlantic. The deflationary pressures are just too overwhelming at this point. Greece bails by the end of the year, and then it will just be a set of dominoes falling - Ireland will leave, Spain will leave, the French and Germans will have to bail out or nationalize their banks because of their huge exposure to southern Europe, etc, etc.

Not sure if Obama's toast at this point, because it depends on how fast everything happens and what the US response is.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Prez In Glass City

On Friday, President Obama flew into Toledo Express Airport (Swanton, OH). Many roads and expressway overpasses were closed.....guarded by men in black. The Prez and his group stopped at west Toledo's Rudy's Hot Dog for lunch. The folks in the popular restaurant enjoyed meeting the President. Because of his Chicago background he voiced displeasure with U.S. Rep member Marcy Kaptur loading her dog with ketchup (catsup?).

President Obama toured portions of the giant Jeep North Toledo Assembly factory and spoke to workers at that Chrysler/Fiat facility. It was noted by politicians on the R-side that while he was recognizing auto workers for their recent success (oft due to the auto bailout dollars) the Toledo unemployment rate remains near 10%. On this same day.....bad timing, you know.....the economy was hit by serious bad news (job growth nowhere near expectations, a slumping stock market, continued bad news on the housing front).

Side Note: Seems to this Bear that Obama needs to concentrate his efforts much more on the economy.....especially the job market.....and save the "other stuff" for his second term.....if he has a second term.

After the entourage left the Jeep complex our President stopped at a nearby hardware store, walked in, and purchased some gardening gloves for his wife. After that, he was whisked to the airport and Air Force One roared away.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    On Friday, President Obama flew into Toledo Express Airport (Swanton, OH). Many roads and expressway overpasses were closed.....guarded by men in black. The Prez and his group stopped at west Toledo's Rudy's Hot Dog for lunch.
    No Tony Paco's? What kind of President is he?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Have to admit, that was my first thought as well...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    2011, meet 1937. I guess we'll never learn that the exact wrong way to deal with a deflationary spiral is to go into full-on austerity mode.

What's the problem? Wall street and big business are making record profits.

I don't understand how the republican party thinks cutting spending will increase jobs. I haven't heard one solid argument for how cutting spending will create jobs and AFAIK it absolutely never has. It makes no sense to me.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Everyone relax... Paul Revere is going to ride through town and tell all those gol durn Democrats that they won't be takin' our guns by ringin' his bells and shountin' an stuff.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Everyone relax... Paul Revere is going to ride through town and tell all those gol durn Democrats that they won't be takin' our guns by ringin' his bells and shountin' an stuff.
    I've been wondering about her most recent gaffes. I'm not sure she isn't dumb like a fox with her recent comments about what a hard working farmer Washington must have been (honey, he had slaves doing the work) and the Revere quote. I was gonna say no college graduate could be that ignorant, but more and more I think she's deliberately making these sorts of statements precisely because she can bait the media into attacking her, and she may be hoping to win the support of the uneducated who may thinking 'well hell, I didn't know that neither. That there librul media is just trying to find any excuse they can to give the poor gal a hard time'.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I've been wondering about her most recent gaffes. I'm not sure she isn't dumb like a fox with her recent comments about what a hard working farmer Washington must have been (honey, he had slaves doing the work) and the Revere quote. I was gonna say no college graduate could be that ignorant, but more and more I think she's deliberately making these sorts of statements precisely because she can bait the media into attacking her, and she may be hoping to win the support of the uneducated who may thinking 'well hell, I didn't know that neither. That there librul media is just trying to find any excuse they can to give the poor gal a hard time'.
    I think she is doing it on purpose now. Her relevance in the political arena has pretty much gone to zero. She has no chance of winning an election on the National level and is just going the publicity route these days.

I think she is just trying to find ways that she can make the media pay attention to her. Look at me I am going on a bus trip!!!

Look at me! Look at me!

I wish the political media would be required to only follow stories that have ANY relevance to our country. I don't care about Weinergate or Palin.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Regarding Palin's Revere gaffe, I don't think it was intentional. I think she truly is an arrogant, self-involved idiot. I can only dream of her being put on the ticket as a VP again (or as the president ) in 2012, 2016, 2020, 2024... because I would love to have a Democrat in the White House for the rest of my lifetime.

I honestly think that the more she opens her mouth, the more she will put her foot in it.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I think he is doing this on purpose. To blame the media and set herself up as a victim. She's not as dumb and the media portrays her. I think she has an occasional case foot-in-mouth disease, but we do at times. They are like verbal typos.

Her main problem is that she doesn't say anything of any substance. It's all fawning for the camera and talking points.

She's milking this will she/won't she run for president for all its worth. She also probably making a ton of money and keeping herself in the spotlight. I think her having dinner with Trump is telling.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Regarding Palin's Revere gaffe, I don't think it was intentional. I think she truly is an arrogant, self-involved idiot. I can only dream of her being put on the ticket as a VP again (or as the president ) in 2012, 2016, 2020, 2024... because I would love to have a Democrat in the White House for the rest of my lifetime.

I honestly think that the more she opens her mouth, the more she will put her foot in it.
    This.

She isn't dumb, but she is definitely an arrogant self-involved idiot. But let's be honest, the idiots need someone to represent them. I especially love the whole Palin crowd saying "Why won't the media leave her alone- why do they have to follow her on vacation!" She's driving a huge bus with her name on it around the country and e-mailing reporters where she will be next for chrissakes.

I was just reading that the Palin crowd was active on Wikipedia this weekend editing the Paul Revere page to reflect Palin's version of history.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_congressman_twitter_photo

I thought this was pretty funny... although it is annoying that they make this stuff news... I like one part...

After days of denials, a choked-up New York Democratic Rep. Anthony Weiner (WEE'-nuhr) confessed that he sent a bulging-underpants photo of himself to a young woman. He also admitted that he had "inappropriate" conversations with six women before and after getting married.
    Just in case you weren't sure how to pronounce it

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ha ha ha.....

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    This.

She isn't dumb, but she is definitely an arrogant self-involved idiot. But let's be honest, the idiots need someone to represent them. I especially love the whole Palin crowd saying "Why won't the media leave her alone- why do they have to follow her on vacation!" She's driving a huge bus with her name on it around the country and e-mailing reporters where she will be next for chrissakes.

I was just reading that the Palin crowd was active on Wikipedia this weekend editing the Paul Revere page to reflect Palin's version of history.
    Don't forget she's asking Sarah Pac to pay for the bus vacation and you to donate for the bus vacation.....at least that's what I heard from my wifes third cousin, second roomate from college. The only person I know by extension that can stand to look at her website
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2006
    My prediction for the 2012 election is that it will look a lot like the 2004 election: an incumbent that is well liked by his party and who is despised by the other side versus an out of touch Massachusetts liberal (by his party's standards), flip flopper who voted for it before he voted against it.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    out of touch Massachusetts liberal (by his party's standards), flip flopper who voted for it before he voted against it.
    Gotta love The Onion

Registered
    Mar 2004

OH YEAH!

Gotta love The Onion
    I WISH I could post that last line in the Onion article....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Michelle didn't want him pigging out at Tony Packo's (you know, her healthy eating initiatives), so he went somewhere else and had the chili dogs instead.

As for Sarah Palin, there must be something pretty good about her if the lefties are already running around like a bunch of stuck pigs at the thought of her, but they do have a point about her regarding when she claimed that the USA had 57 states.

Oh yea, speaking of Palin's very recent remarks - http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_...icleid=1343353

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 06 Jun 2011 at 10:17 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Michelle didn't want him pigging out at Tony Packo's (you know, her healthy eating initiatives), so he went somewhere else and had the chili dogs instead.

As for Sarah Palin, there must be something pretty good about her if the lefties are already running around like a bunch of stuck pigs at the thought of her, but they do have a point about her regarding when she claimed that the USA had 57 states.

Oh yea, speaking of Palin's very recent remarks - http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_...icleid=1343353

Mike
    If an uneducated snow hick was trying to become the executive for the organization I worked for I would be running around like "a stuck pig" trying to prevent it.

Then according this article and Ms. Palin's statement then Paul Revere was riding to get captured...and where is the explanation that he was ringing bells to warn the British...was he doing that so he could be captured more easily?

Paul Revere told the 8 British soldiers who captured him that 500 Americans were coming up from this way and that if they wanted to live they should let him go and escape now. The bluff worked and Paul Revere continued his ride to warn the Americans that the British were coming.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2004
    If an uneducated snow hick was trying to become the executive for the organization I worked for I would be running around like "a stuck pig" trying to prevent it.

Then according this article and Ms. Palin's statement then Paul Revere was riding to get captured...and where is the explanation that he was ringing bells to warn the British...was he doing that so he could be captured more easily?

Paul Revere told the 8 British soldiers who captured him that 500 Americans were coming up from this way and that if they wanted to live they should let him go and escape now. The bluff worked and Paul Revere continued his ride to warn the Americans that the British were coming.
    What bugs the heck out of me is that there are so many people, yes on all sides of the political spectrum but it does seem more prominent on one particular side, that are more interested in "winning" arguments and what not then in being honest or correct. Palin screwed up her history. I don't really care. To me the bigger issue is basically ALL of her supporters are now trying to rewrite history so that "she was right!". What the freak is wrong with people nowadays?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What bugs the heck out of me is that there are so many people, yes on all sides of the political spectrum but it does seem more prominent on one particular side, that are more interested in "winning" arguments and what not then in being honest or correct. Palin screwed up her history. I don't really care. To me the bigger issue is basically ALL of her supporters are now trying to rewrite history so that "she was right!". What the freak is wrong with people nowadays?
    You wouldn't want to see your political idol be wrong ever would you?

DENY, DENY, DENY.

I thought that was the politician motto... Wiener sure followed that...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    If an uneducated snow hick was trying to become the executive for the organization I worked for I would be running around like "a stuck pig" trying to prevent it..
    Ok, so Sarah's degree isn't from the Ivy League. Your point being? OTOH, GWB's degree WAS from the Ivy League, but you react the exact same way whenever the discussion turns towards him.

Mike

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't even have to examine Palin on issues to believe she would be a terrible President (or leader in general).
    • she doesn't have the level of understanding of American history that I expect for any person holding an elected office, especially state and federal level.
    • she doesn't have basic understanding of geography
    • she quit as governor of Alaska 2.5 years into her one and only term--not finishing what she starts
    • she is unwilling to compromise or admit errors
    • she blames others for her obvious mistakes (i.e. the media 'gotcha' question that led to her idiotic Paul Revere story)
    • she appears to take an ad hoc approach to everything in her life--professional, personal and political
    • many of her statements cause me concern about ethics, respect for others different from her, and potentially bigotry

I don't have a requirement for an Ivy League education. But I do have a requirement that the person is of sound mind for strategic decision-making (rather than ad hoc & impulsive), is capable of listening, and is intelligent.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Ok, so Sarah's degree isn't from the Ivy League. Your point being? OTOH, GWB's degree WAS from the Ivy League, but you react the exact same way whenever the discussion turns towards him.

Mike
    No Bush's problem wasn't that he went to an Ivy League school. Bush's problem was that he came across as an aw-shucks-I-just-one-of-y'all when he really wasn't. He was a person born to money and privledge. He wasn't one of us, and didn't give a rip about anyone who wasn't rich. His policies amply reflect this.

Palin isn't stupid. She's milking this cow till it runs dry. However, she's more of a celebrity than an actual candidate.. She also suffers from verbal typos, but refuses to acknowledge them. I agree with Ima on this one. The troubling part of this whole episode is her fan base trying to do a Sovietesque rewriting of history.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I don't understand why the jobs aren't being created. We extended the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy with a lot of talk about how it would help spur job creation.

Hmmmmmm........
    Still waiting to here where the jobs are. If Obama doesn't use this during the campaign, I may not vote for him.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Still waiting to here where the jobs are. If Obama doesn't use this during the campaign, I may not vote for him.
    I'm still waiting to hear how cutting spending will create jobs. I kind of feel like we are in a Twilight Zone episode

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:44 PM