Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the outcome of tomorrow's presidential election will be?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins electoral and popular vote

20 76.92%
  • Romney wins electoral and popular vote

2 7.69%
  • Gary Johnson wins electoral and popular vote :thumb:

0 0%
  • Obama wins electoral vote, Romney wins popular vote

4 15.38%
  • Romney wins electoral vote, Obama wins popular vote

0 0%
  • Obama and Romney tie in the electoral vote

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

Thread: The First 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Rick Perry

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    I am starting to hear the name of Rick Perry pop up as a possible candidate for the Republicans in 2012. Obviously his perceived strength as a job builder in Texas would help win votes in a land torn by high unemployment. Like it or not, Dems, Texas is an economic wonder, for a lot of reasons. Proving Perry's policy role in that story would be interesting during the campaign season.

Because of the 2010 Census, Texas is an even bigger slice of the electoral pie. Perry would win Texas and most of the south. Recession-weary voters in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania.....even Obama's home state, Illinois.....would have ears perked-up for "job talk" that appeared to have some backing. Perry's chances are probably reduced by his often close-to-extreme social conservative POV.

The guns will start firing after the New Year slides past. Republican wannabees will start their tours of the talking head shows. Should be interesting.

Bear
    This Bear posted the above about a half year ago. A number of Cyburbians replied with reasons (logic) as to why Ricky would not be a good choice. It appears that he is now officially on the race.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    This Bear posted the above about a half year ago. A number of Cyburbians replied with reasons (logic) as to why Ricky would not be a good choice. It appears that he is now officially on the race.

Bear
    I still think he might announce he's NOT running. Remember all the hubbub when all the media (and some of his own advisers) told us Donald Trump was going to announce his bid? Didn't happen. It's not official yet, and this premature reporting as "official" is irresponsible, regardless of the source of the information.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I still think he might announce he's NOT running. Remember all the hubbub when all the media (and some of his own advisers) told us Donald Trump was going to announce his bid? Didn't happen. It's not official yet, and this premature reporting as "official" is irresponsible, regardless of the source of the information.
    You are correct...since he is going to Waterloo, IA he could be honoring John Wayne or endorsing Michelle Bachmann.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Umm... I think it's pretty certain.

"He will make a definitive announcement on Saturday for the race," Perry spokesman Mark Miner said. Asked if Perry is indeed joining the race, Miner said "yes".
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    May 2004
    Rick Perry looks alot like Luke Perry. Are they related?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My thoughts on the GOP stuff on Fox (yep I watched it all...)

Rick Santorum: Nuts. No chance with his idiotic social conservative stances... really a raped women doesn't have a choice... really?
    Michelle Bachmann: Nuts. She is also confused on the economy, which is pretty important. She is wrong the social issues, and fiscal issues... hmm
    Herman Cain: Did pretty well. He couldn't have done worse from the last debate. If he didn't have so many phobias of large groups of people he might do well. He understand the economy, just not the country.
    Newt Gingrich: He was a cry baby. He has no chance to win anything. And in the most ironic twist, he cries about the media (which was Fox News) and thier "gotcha" questions. Wow... just wow.
    Jon Huntsman: Holy sanity batman. If the R's wanted to win they would elect this guy. He looked scared, but he stood up for lots of things the R's seem to have trouble understanding. He talked about fiscal policy and is on the right (left) side of the social issues debate. I would guess he just did pretty well with Independents.
    Ron Paul: Coo-coo, but I do like some of his coco puffs. He is the only candidate that is completely consistent. He isn't half assed about his beliefs like Romney who wants a federal law banning same sex marriage, but thinks states rights are REALLY important
    Tim Pawlenty: I enjoyed the TPaw blow up show. He went on the offensive and said all the things everyone is thinking. Which should help him in the future... if he gets to the future. He and Michelle Bachmann yelling at each other is TV Gold.
    Mitt Romney: Boring, but consistent. He stayed out of the yelling pretty much (even had a couple jokes). I think he at least acted presidential. It will be interesting to see how moderate he gets when it comes general election time. If he steers clear of social issues, he has a strong chance to beat Obama

Rick Perry: Will be part of the debate in September. Will take the entire field into right field. If he does flop again on states rights, he might have a better chance....
    Sarah Palin: What she is starting her tour again in Iowa? Look at me, look at me! Seriously people, why aren't you looking at me? I need attention!!!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2003

Pawlenty

Did I just hear that Pawlenty has dropped-out of the race?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Did I just hear that Pawlenty has dropped-out of the race?

Bear
    Yep he got third (behind two people who won't win), and he thought it was a good time to head out into the sunset.

Although I think it had a lot more to do with Rick Perry getting into the race...

Which by the way is funny.... http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61366.html

I loved the debate because they attacked each other. To me the conservatives don't do this enough. I think Rick Perry will attack everyone. And I like that.
    Last edited by Hink; 15 Aug 2011 at 7:59 AM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Looks like Mitt Romney's nomination to lose at this point. Perry is just unelectable in too many states IMO.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Ron Paul supporters are claiming media bias...again...yet no one seems to notice.

Gov. Perry was Al Gore's Texas chairman for his 1988 presidential run...that is when Al Gore first started talking about climate change. I can already see the ads in Iowa and NH during the primary.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Ron Paul supporters are claiming media bias...again...yet no one seems to notice.

Not that I'm a Ron Paul supporter, but I would have to agree - he got the shaft from the media.

The guy who came in third, way behind Ron Paul, got 10 times more media coverage than Paul. All the news articles gave only a passing reference to Paul being in second, and almost none of them made a point to note that the gap between Paul and Bachmann was for all intents and purposes "within the margin of error."

I understand to some degree why the media ignored him, but it still ain't right.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    [Texas accent on]

"Hi, I'm George Dubya Bush, and I'm from Texas"

"Hi, I'm Rick Perry, and I'm from Texas"

[/Texas accent off]

That's my main concern with Rick Perry. Might be too soon for another governor from Texas to be President for some people. Even though people love that Texas charm, they might also associate Rick Perry with some of the negative aspects of Bush.

Despite Perry's strong economic record in the state of Texas, his very conservative stances on almost all social issues will likely serve problematic for the general electorate, especially the moderates and independents, who we need to win over to beat Obama. I agree with Perry's views on abortion and guns, but I disagree with his stances on marriage and some other issues. In addition, I admire his Christian faith, but think he's overstepped a little too much in some cases while acting in an official capacity. These social issues should be non-issues in this election, but you know the media is going to hype them up again and stir the pot, and I can picture Perry also making an issue of some of them, especially marriage.

I still think I'm a Romney guy. Although I wish I could combine Romney's political views/agenda/record/etc. with Perry's charisma to make one super-candidate. Should be interesting to see how the whole thing plays out though, especially now that Pawlenty's out. And who knows who will be next to drop out, and where their supporters will go. I'm thinking Santorum may be next and his supporters will likely go to Perry or Bachmann.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The university just a few miles from my home is hosting a Republican presidential debate this coming November. I'm not too enamored with any of the R's currently in the race (but thanks to Michigan's primary system I'll definitely be voting for the looniest one next spring!) but I think it would still be pretty fun to go see the debate live.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    The university just a few miles from my home is hosting a Republican presidential debate this coming November. I'm not too enamored with any of the R's currently in the race (but thanks to Michigan's primary system I'll definitely be voting for the looniest one next spring!) but I think it would still be pretty fun to go see the debate live.
    Hey you stole my strategy!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by tarf12345678 View post
    Not that I'm a Ron Paul supporter, but I would have to agree - he got the shaft from the media.
    Because he isn't electable. The media focus on the candidates who actually have a shot to win. That is why they ignore Rick Santorum.

Some candidates make the real candidates answer good questions (like wars, the federal reserve, etc.), but really have no chance of winning. Ron Paul is a huge example. Sure his libertarian slant is refreshing, and the fact that he isn't a living contradiction like most candidates, but he is just TOO libertarian.

No one likes to believe it, but you have to be mainstream to win a general election. Ron Paul is too far in a field.

The small government, state's rights Rick Perry might have had a chance to win, but the social conservative, righty Rick Perry won't. I agree with IP too, his accent is eerily familiar.... and not in a good way.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Because he isn't electable. The media focus on the candidates who actually have a shot to win. That is why they ignore Rick Santorum..
    To which the Paul and Santorum camps would vociferously argue they aren't electable because the media doesnt give them the same exposure as other candidates.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Ron Paul is not getting traction because this is the 4th time he has run for President. His supporters are few but passionate but he is adding nothing to the discussion.

I find Ron Pauls supporters hypocrticial on this topic.They talk of the wisdom of the free market but complain when they do not benefit from it. The media like every other business in the US is driven by its market and thereby its consumers. The media reports on what its consumer want to hear and read about.

If Sarah Palin farts in a diner in Iowa its the lead story on most national news and most websites. Why, because love her or hate her, people want to know what she is doing and it shows.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If Sarah Palin farts in a diner in Iowa its the lead story on most national news and most websites. Why, because love her or hate her, people want to know what she is doing and it shows.
    In a nation that's obsessed with reality tv, it's hard to be surprised that the media doesn't want to be bothered with substance.

On another topic, Obama is currently riding around the midwest on "official business" in one of two $1.1M buses purchased by the Secret Service. The other is supposed to be used by the eventual Republican contender. The SS says the buses will pay for themselves over the 10 year estimated lifespan. Should we be skeptical?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Despite Perry's strong economic record in the state of Texas.
    I hate the NYT... but this article brings up a very good point about the Texas economy. Perry has weather the economic downturn but at the expense of education and other programs. It's kinda like Clinton, didn't really do anything to "prop" the economy, he just reaped the windfall of taxes that were raised by his predecessor when the economy began to gain traction again.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    On another topic, Obama is currently riding around the midwest on "official business" in one of two $1.1M buses purchased by the Secret Service. The other is supposed to be used by the eventual Republican contender. The SS says the buses will pay for themselves over the 10 year estimated lifespan. Should we be skeptical?
    I wondered about this all too after hearing a story on NPR yesterday. I don't really know what I think of it. But of course, I'm not sure we want a presidential or presidential-hopeful assasination, either.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    According to Bachmann, high gas prices are President Obama's fault and in SC yesterday, she promised a return to $2/gal gas prices when she is elected.

I guess we'll see the end of alternative fuels, electric cars and a return of Hummer SUVs, sprawl and ... oh well.

Yep, everything will be fine when she is elected President. She can even continue to sing Happy Birthday to Elvis on the anniversry of his death
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2003
    Just wonderin'.....if Sarah Palin looked like Janet Reno (but still had the same M.O.) would she still be followed by the news hounds?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Never have I so agreed with a Republican presidential candidate in recent years as I have with Gary Johnson in this blog post.

From the front page of Gary Johnson's site:

"Governor Johnson brings a distinctly business-like mentality to governing, believing that decisions should be made based on cost-benefit analysis rather than strict ideology."

Too bad he doesn't have a chance. I think he could lead a New Whig movement. New Mexico Republicans tend to be fairly centrist and pragmatic, anyhow.

EDIT: Why doesn't he have a chance? He's probably being dismissed as a "RINO" by the usual crowd of right-wing AM talk show hosts.
    http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/the-d...-needs-to-have
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Never have I so agreed with a Republican presidential candidate in recent years as I have with Gary Johnson in this blog post.

From the front page of Gary Johnson's site:

"Governor Johnson brings a distinctly business-like mentality to governing, believing that decisions should be made based on cost-benefit analysis rather than strict ideology."

Too bad he doesn't have a chance. I think he could lead a New Whig movement. New Mexico Republicans tend to be fairly centrist and pragmatic, anyhow.
    I like Gary Johnson. He is the only truly "libertarian" candidate in the race and he means what he says. I no longer understand the appeal of Ron Paul to some of my otherwise reasonable friends. He is really more of a paleoconservative than libertarian; he hews way too closely to the John Birch Society fever swamp fringe. The prospect of President Ron Paul would scare me shitless if it wasn't such a fantasy.

In many ways, Johnson is the candidate I've been looking for; socially liberal and fiscally conservative, with proven results as an executive. Unfortunately, in a world where even "moderate" GOP candidates like Mitt Romney feel like they have to sign a pledge supporting a constitutional ban on gay marriage to survive, Johnson's candidacy is DOA. (Not to mention his admitted use of medical marijuana in recent years... horrors!)

Save some miraculous economic recovery, Obama is seriously vulnerable in 2012. Fortunate for him, the GOP electorate seems hellbent on nominating folks that don't believe in climate change or evolution and think forcing the US government to default is a sound approach to fiscal policy. If Bachmann or Perry were to win the nomination, the electorate could be seriously amenable to a 3rd party candidate.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    According to Bachmann, high gas prices are President Obama's fault and in SC yesterday, she promised a return to $2/gal gas prices when she is elected.

I guess we'll see the end of alternative fuels, electric cars and a return of Hummer SUVs, sprawl and ... oh well.
    I saw this too... I don't know how she plans on manipulating the world-wide demand for fuel to actually accomplish this. This has got to be one of the worse examples of blatant pandering I've ever seen.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread
Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:44 PM