Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the outcome of tomorrow's presidential election will be?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins electoral and popular vote

    20 76.92%
  • Romney wins electoral and popular vote

    2 7.69%
  • Gary Johnson wins electoral and popular vote :thumb:

    0 0%
  • Obama wins electoral vote, Romney wins popular vote

    4 15.38%
  • Romney wins electoral vote, Obama wins popular vote

    0 0%
  • Obama and Romney tie in the electoral vote

    0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast
Results 576 to 600 of 1725

Thread: The First 2012 Presidential Election Thread

  1. #576
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,739
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    The latest 'revelation' about one of the G.O.P. candidates:
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67194.html

    My first reaction:
    'OK. Yep, one more overtly racist attack by the left on a strong slave-descended conservative, what took them so long?'

    My second reaction:
    (Cough, cough . . . Bill Clinton . . . cough...)



    Mike
    I make an effort not to be baited into poorly conceived debate... but come on. The left is racist? Or is the liberal media racist? I mean seriously.

    And I don't understand the Bill Clinton reference. Are you saying that the media didn't delve deep enough into the Monica Lewinsky issue, or that he was President and was a cheater? Because truthfully either of those conclusions is pretty odd. I would argue that the Monica Lewinsky stuff was over played. We all knew what happened, and we all heard about it for a LONG time. As for Clinton, I would argue that EVERYONE thinks he is slimy and a jerk. Are you saying that Herman Cain is like Clinton? I am confused...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  2. #577
    moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    at the neighboring pub
    Posts
    5,279
    so when are they finally going to stop lumping Rick Perry in with the other frontrunners? His poll numbers are only going one way, and he is now below Ron Paul in nearly all of them.

    "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

    - Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

  3. #578
    Cyburbian Tarf's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Encinitas, CA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    so when are they finally going to stop lumping Rick Perry in with the other frontrunners? His poll numbers are only going one way, and he is now below Ron Paul in nearly all of them.

    True, but he has raised the second most amount of funds, behind only Romney. That's why he's still being talked up the way he is.

    Also, we'll have to see what the sexual harassment claims do to Cain - it could lead to increased support for Perry as the Romney alternative, since Bachmann is pretty much washed up at this point.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

  4. #579
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wherever
    Posts
    1,181
    What's funny is Pawlenty probably would have had a decent shot at the nomination if he just stayed in, even if he did nothing but show up to debates.

  5. #580
    Cyburbian biscuit's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Paris of Appalachia
    Posts
    3,902
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    The latest 'revelation' about one of the G.O.P. candidates:
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67194.html

    My first reaction:
    'OK. Yep, one more overtly racist attack by the left on a strong slave-descended conservative, what took them so long?'

    My second reaction:
    (Cough, cough . . . Bill Clinton . . . cough...)



    Mike
    You've either been listening to too much Hannity, or just laid down some weapons grade trolling material. Either way, I can't resist.
    This "revelation" about Cain's past has nothing to racism or the left. Seems like this story was probably leaked to Politico from the Romney campaign. Mitt's people are savvy enough to know that Cain would fumble the reaction, which he has, badly. Honestly, "the left" wants candidates like Cain, Perry and Bachman to stay in the race as long as possible. Having them attempt to explain their policy positions is better advertisement for Obama than any television ad the DNC could produce.
    Last edited by biscuit; 01 Nov 2011 at 8:41 AM.

  6. #581
    I notice that Mike chose not to reference this article from his very own J-S online; Cain campaign may have breached federal campaign tax laws. Too hard to make a left-disparaging or racism remark about that one, I guess.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

  7. #582
    Cyburbian mgk920's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,166
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I notice that Mike chose not to reference this article from his very own J-S online; Cain campaign may have breached federal campaign tax laws. Too hard to make a left-disparaging or racism remark about that one, I guess.
    I seldom read the Sentinal-Journal.



    That said, what if I was a high-level boss and I exhibited attitudes and actions towards females that were exactly identical to those of Bill Clinton or John Edwards?

    And how well did the BHO campaign adhere to federal campaign financing laws during the 2008 campaign?



    Mike

  8. #583
    Cyburbian Tarf's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Encinitas, CA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    That said, what if I was a high-level boss and I exhibited attitudes and actions towards females that were exactly identical to those of Bill Clinton or John Edwards?

    Did you seriously pull out the John Edwards reference there? Seriously? Realizing that has no correlation whatsoever to either Bill Clinton OR Hermann Cain? So, the only inference that can be drawn here is that you included him simply as a blanket disparagement of liberals? Should I then randomly throw out the names of every unscrupulous republican in response, regardless of their relevance to the issues under discussion?

    Also, your notion that the news attention to Cain is somehow a liberal conspiracy is laughable at best. Trust me... any "liberal" paying attention to the 2012 race would much rather have a Cain than a Romney (for electability sake).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

  9. #584
    Cyburbian Raf's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Location
    America's Happiest City
    Posts
    4,907
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Trust me... any "liberal" paying attention to the 2012 race would much rather have a Cain than a Romney (for electability sake).
    That and who else could offer the electorate 9+9+9 pizza deal? Seriously

    offer not valid in california since godfather's pulled out ages ago
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

  10. #585
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    And how well did the BHO campaign adhere to federal campaign financing laws during the 2008 campaign?



    Mike
    I think you are confusing public financing option and campaign finance laws. AFAIK Obama didn't break any serious campaign finance laws he just opted out of public financing - which of course was his option to do so. Cain on the other hand does appear to have broken some serious campaign finance laws.

    As far as the liberal conspiracy thing - I'm sure there are plenty of liberal conspiracies but this certainly isn't one of them. I wasn't initially going to respond to your post because i thought it silly but it seem that your opinion on that matter is windespread throughout the republican media. It's disheartening though to read editorial and editorial about how this is always a liberal conspiracy to get the conservative "black guy" because somehow all liberals are racist and basically just slandering Cain for being a conservative who is also a black guy. It would be laughable if so many people didn't apparently believe this to be the case. It's clear that Cain was involved in some sexual harassment settlements and he even (after first denying it) admitted it. How can that be a liberal conspiracy? not to mention the fact that the only people who have to gain from the leaking of this are his fellow GOP contenders. heck, Karl Rove has pretty much admitted it. But its all over the conservative media - the talking point that this is somehow an evil liberal conspiracy - even though its clearly a factual accusation that was first published in an online media site owned and operated by republicans.

    The sad thing to me is that I believe that you actually believe that everything negative that ever comes out against a republican is some sort of evil liberal conspiracy. I trust you are an intelligent guy, but it just plain shocks me that anyone intelligent would apparantly lose all objectivity regarding political thought. Cain was accused of sexual harrassment and the women involved were paid off. Those are known facts. It's terribly shocking how so many people throw all reason and objectivity out the window when it comes to politics. what this tells me is that we really are a long way from having any hope of substantial change in our two party political system. The politics of belonging, or the politics of resentment, whatever the individual case for people, is apparently too strong of a motivator in people's decision making process. Certainly the parties and the media exploit that to their benefit. I have to wonder if we can ever get to a point where the vast majority of politically active citizens can be reasonable and objective.
    Last edited by imaplanner; 01 Nov 2011 at 6:48 PM.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  11. #586
    Gunfighter Mastiff's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Middle of a Dusty Street
    Posts
    6,374
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    That said, what if I was a high-level boss and I exhibited attitudes and actions towards females that were exactly identical to those of Bill Clinton or John Edwards?
    First, Clinton had a long extramarital affair with Gennifer Flowers, but many men have done this. Second, Paula Jones was a scam. I have seen, with my own eyes, the women who followed Clinton around in Arkansas. Trust me, he would not have to coerce anyone. Finally, without Linda Tripp and Ken Starr, you may never have heard of Monica Lewinski. His mistake was lying to Congress, and he should have said it's between me and my wife, and none of your business... because I highly doubt he pressured her, either. That said, anyone who lived in Arkansas knew Bill and Hillary was a marriage of convenience.

    Edwards, really? Want scandals? Here Mike... Clarence Thomas, Bob Packwood, Newt Gingrich, Mark Foley, David Vitter, Larry "Wide Stance" Craig. Take your pick. The worst part, for you GOP folks is the incredible hypocrisy of these people. Being immoral while touting morality is a bad idea. Gingrich? Yeah, bash Clinton while you cheat on your sick wife. Oh, and Sen. Adult Diapers and Sen. Bathroom Stall co-authoring the "Marriage Protection Amendment" together. You might want to back away from this one.

    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    And how well did the BHO campaign adhere to federal campaign financing laws during the 2008 campaign?

    Are you asking us, or telling us something? When I google FEC 2008 investigation, I get tons of right wing propaganda, but can you point me to the finding where it said he did something wrong. I'm sure you'll have no trouble producing that for us.

    Off-topic:
    Oh, and Hink? I don't think Clinton is a slimy jerk. He does seem to have poor judgement when it comes to women, but if you met him, I bet you'd find he's a very affable fellow.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

  12. #587
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Location
    newark nj
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    First, Clinton had a long extramarital affair with Gennifer Flowers, but many men have done this. Second, Paula Jones was a scam. I have seen, with my own eyes, the women who followed Clinton around in Arkansas. Trust me, he would not have to coerce anyone. Finally, without Linda Tripp and Ken Starr, you may never have heard of Monica Lewinski. His mistake was lying to Congress, and he should have said it's between me and my wife, and none of your business... because I highly doubt he pressured her, either. That said, anyone who lived in Arkansas knew Bill and Hillary was a marriage of convenience.

    Edwards, really? Want scandals? Here Mike... Clarence Thomas, Bob Packwood, Newt Gingrich, Mark Foley, David Vitter, Larry "Wide Stance" Craig. Take your pick. The worst part, for you GOP folks is the incredible hypocrisy of these people. Being immoral while touting morality is a bad idea. Gingrich? Yeah, bash Clinton while you cheat on your sick wife. Oh, and Sen. Adult Diapers and Sen. Bathroom Stall co-authoring the "Marriage Protection Amendment" together. You might want to back away from this one.



    Are you asking us, or telling us something? When I google FEC 2008 investigation, I get tons of right wing propaganda, but can you point me to the finding where it said he did something wrong. I'm sure you'll have no trouble producing that for us.

    Off-topic:
    Oh, and Hink? I don't think Clinton is a slimy jerk. He does seem to have poor judgement when it comes to women, but if you met him, I bet you'd find he's a very affable fellow.
    I'm sure he is, but every president in recent memory let's say post-Nixon seem to have that aura about them. W might have been a bad president, but he sure seems like a nice guy, and so does Obama, Reagan, Carter, Clinton etc.

  13. #588
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally posted by ddomin4360 View post
    I'm sure he is, but every president in recent memory let's say post-Nixon seem to have that aura about them. W might have been a bad president, but he sure seems like a nice guy, and so does Obama, Reagan, Carter, Clinton etc.
    Compared to who each of those people ran against I would say the guy perceived to be the nicest won in every instance. Even Reagan was perceived to be at least as nice if not nicer than Carter. Definately McCain was seen as a jerk. I think that may be the biggest thing Obama has going for him- that people seem to like him personally. who on the GOP side can compete with him for the "who would you rather have a beer with" vote? Romney comes close- but it seems like he would keep changing his mind about what beer he wants.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  14. #589
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Compared to who each of those people ran against I would say the guy perceived to be the nicest won in every instance. Even Reagan was perceived to be at least as nice if not nicer than Carter. Definately McCain was seen as a jerk. I think that may be the biggest thing Obama has going for him- that people seem to like him personally. who on the GOP side can compete with him for the "who would you rather have a beer with" vote? Romney comes close- but it seems like he would keep changing his mind about what beer he wants.
    And being Mormon, it would come down to O'Douls, Root Beer or possibly a Sasparilla...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  15. #590
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Location
    newark nj
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Compared to who each of those people ran against I would say the guy perceived to be the nicest won in every instance. Even Reagan was perceived to be at least as nice if not nicer than Carter. Definately McCain was seen as a jerk. I think that may be the biggest thing Obama has going for him- that people seem to like him personally. who on the GOP side can compete with him for the "who would you rather have a beer with" vote? Romney comes close- but it seems like he would keep changing his mind about what beer he wants.
    Hehe, probably the fringe candidates seem like the nicest people (Paul, Johnson, Huntsman), and you're right, of anyone electable Romney has the likability factor sewn up. Everyone else seems scary in some way or another. Perry comes of as arrogant and kind of an idiot. But not like Bush were he's a "likable idiot". Perry seems to be trying to push that angle, but he lack W's "charisma".

  16. #591
    Cyburbian ursus's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    And being Mormon, it would come down to O'Douls, Root Beer or possibly a Sasparilla...
    You forgot Cutters (maybe that's a local only?) and the high school rebel's favorite: Seagram's Coolers, with just enough alcohol to make us feel the need to repent. Of course, there's always Coke.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

  17. #592
    Gunfighter Mastiff's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Middle of a Dusty Street
    Posts
    6,374
    Quote Originally posted by ddomin4360 View post
    I'm sure he is, but every president in recent memory let's say post-Nixon seem to have that aura about them. W might have been a bad president, but he sure seems like a nice guy, and so does Obama, Reagan, Carter, Clinton etc.
    Right. But you say seems to be... I know for a fact, having spoken twice with him personally when he was a governor. (I didn't run in any special circles, but a fraternity brother certainly did.) I'm insinuating that Hink would also find him as I did, a genuinely nice person.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

  18. #593
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    You forgot Cutters (maybe that's a local only?) and the high school rebel's favorite: Seagram's Coolers, with just enough alcohol to make us feel the need to repent. Of course, there's always Coke.
    You just reminded me of this little gem (for those who crossed to the dark side)

    Polygamy Porter - why have just one? Why indeed...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  19. #594
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Location
    newark nj
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Right. But you say seems to be... I know for a fact, having spoken twice with him personally when he was a governor. (I didn't run in any special circles, but a fraternity brother certainly did.) I'm insinuating that Hink would also find him as I did, a genuinely nice person.
    Fair enough, I haven't been privileged to meet anyone of such a level except a couple of House Reps who came off as sleazy.

  20. #595
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,739
    I have no doubt that I would like Clinton. He likes food and beer. What is not to like? I have close family friends who are related to the Edwards family (on Elizabeth's side...)... it is funny that John Edwards is a really nice guy. I think all people make mistakes. I think all people can be classless and look bad. Some make bigger mistakes than others.

    I think we forget sometimes how people may be viewed versus what they are really like. I would imagine many politicians lose when viewed through this prism. They all seem sleazy... some more than others... but I am sure that there are good people and people who are viewed unfairly. Unfortunately the media only tells the stories from a newsworthy perspective.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  21. #596
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,598
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I have no doubt that I would like Clinton. He likes food and beer. What is not to like?
    I agree that Clinton seems like he would be a great guy to hang out with. But I'd probably prefer him circa 1991 when he was not as concerned about his diet.

    If I had to pick one of the current candidates to hang out with? Probably either Cain or Huntsman. Both supposedly love to talk about music (Huntsman having been in a band) and both seem like they are probably pretty nice guys (even after the sexual harassment stuff, Cain doesn't seem particularly sleazy like on a Gingrich or Perry level). I'd probably go with Cain over Huntsman though since I don't think Huntsman would be able to bend his elbow with me because of his religion.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  22. #597
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,739
    Cain scolds reporters: 'End of story' to sexual harassment claims
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ssment-claims/

    If there is one way to make the reporting of past events end sooner, it is to tell the reporters to stop reporting on it... yea that will work. Also, the "debate" with Gingrich was a joke.


    Cain can't win the presidency. I bet he gets 21% if he wins the primary. He has 15 points in Iowa... yet the only R polling at a level that would beat Obama... Romney.

    I still hope that Huntsman runs as an Independent. Or Ron Paul, although Paul said he wouldn't do that. Nevermind - http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/67734.html
    Last edited by Hink; 07 Nov 2011 at 7:50 AM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  23. #598
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Cain scolds reporters: 'End of story' to sexual harassment claims
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ssment-claims/

    If there is one way to make the reporting of past events end sooner, it is to tell the reporters to stop reporting on it... yea that will work. ]
    I'm sure the irony was lost on many, but Cain's response to reporters asking him to comment about sexual harassment claims was "What part of no do you not understand!?"
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  24. #599
    Cyburbian fringe's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Comer, GA
    Posts
    570
    I think the power elite has targeted Cain, as he is not one of their horses.

    Also he serves as a valuable distraction from actual issues, which are to be ignored if possible.

  25. #600
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I'm sure the irony was lost on many, but Cain's response to reporters asking him to comment about sexual harassment claims was "What part of no do you not understand!?"
    No means no, indeed! Good catch by the irony police...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:44 PM