Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the outcome of tomorrow's presidential election will be?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins electoral and popular vote

20 76.92%
  • Romney wins electoral and popular vote

2 7.69%
  • Gary Johnson wins electoral and popular vote :thumb:

0 0%
  • Obama wins electoral vote, Romney wins popular vote

4 15.38%
  • Romney wins electoral vote, Obama wins popular vote

0 0%
  • Obama and Romney tie in the electoral vote

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 45 ... LastLast

Thread: The First 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kalimotxo View post
    His commonsense views on civil rights, equality, abortion, and drug laws would make him a formidable option for people like me: those who are socially liberal but think the federal government needs to be majorly reined in starting with military spending and entitlement programs. However, given the option, I will vote for someone who is socially liberal over someone who is socially conservative every time, regardless of their views on federal spending. I cannot abide the demonization of people based on gender, sexuality, nationality, religion, immigration status, etc, and I won't vote for someone who does.
    ... I'm just really ready to vote for someone that isn't completely full of shit.
    Yep. I am right there with you. The more I learn about him, the more attractive he becomes as a candidate. It will be interesting to see if he can bring in enough support to survive the media for the next few months. It is unfortunate that the media will be - as always - largely ignoring candidates like Johnson and will be polluting our airwaves with more of the same garbage we have been hearing already for months/years/decades.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Yep. I am right there with you. The more I learn about him, the more attractive he becomes as a candidate. It will be interesting to see if he can bring in enough support to survive the media for the next few months. It is unfortunate that the media will be - as always - largely ignoring candidates like Johnson and will be polluting our airwaves with more of the same garbage we have been hearing already for months/years/decades.
    Johnson is likely, if not already, intending to run as a Libertarian. Which he actually is (he's been a self-identified libertarian for a long time) even though he has run on the Republican ticket. He endorsed Ron Paul in, I believe, the last election, for example.

Many of you don't know much about Johnson because he was a two-term governor from a state many people don't even realize is part of the country. He has flown below the radar for the most part. In my estimation, he was a mediocre governor who seemed more interested in his personal besting through tirathlon competitions than in focusing on governing. In addition to having no federal level experience (not a prerequisite, but it would give me some confidence), the man is very much in favor of drastically reducing taxes as well as spending. And I mean drastic - he wants to reduce the federal budget in his first year by 43%, “Start out with the big four - Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security and Defense.” That makes me nervous. Very nervous. I don't think this is the way to fix the mess we are in.

A few other items of note:
    In New Mexico, he reduced (or increased, depending on how you define this) the threshold for Medicaid qualification from 235% of poverty level to 200% for families with kids 5 and under and to 100% for families with kids 6 years and up. Think about that for a moment - the POVERTY LEVEL for a family of 4 in 2011 is $22,XXX. If you earn a little more than that and your kids are over 6, you would not have qualified for healthcare assistance in New Mexico when Johnson was governor. Between 2001 and 2008, 31 percent of non-seniors were uninsured in New Mexico. Shocking, but true. And I felt this move kicked a lot of those folks to the curb. Indeed, these figures were the direct result of the Johnson administration's move.

During his tenure, the oil and gas industry was booming and the state racked up a major surplus of something like $450 million dollars. Democrats in the state senate wanted to invest this money in a rainy day fund, but Johnson insisted on giving us all a check for a few hundred bucks. In 2009, our state budget was $500 million in the hole. Sure would have been nice to have some savings around...

Obviously, you all should support who you feel best suits your views, but I think because Johnson has not received much attention, he starts to look pretty good from a distance. Personally, I would not support him for president. I don't think he has what it takes and I do not agree with his positions on many social issues.

I really liked the discussions on drug policy reform that he sponsored - some excellent conversations took place in the public arena around this and its something no one else seems to have the guts to address head-on - but that's about all I can get behind. I'd go running with him, but I don't want him running the country...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Well this is interesting. Romney won, Santorum only 8 votes behind, and then Paul... but they each pick up 6 delegates. So it is a 3 way tie at the moment.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Romney
    Paul
    Santorum
    Perry
    Gingrich
    Bachmann
    Huntsman
    Pretty damn close.

Mitt Romney 30,015 24.6%
    Rick Santorum 30,007 24.5%
    Ron Paul 26,219 21.4%
    Newt Gingrich 16,251 13.3%
    Rick Perry 12,604 10.3%
    Michele Bachmann 6,073 5%
    Jon Huntsman 745 0.6%
    Herman Cain 58 0%
    Buddy Roemer 31 0%
    No Preference 135 0.1%
    Other 117 0.1%

I wasn't surprised by seeing Santorum come from behind in a last-minute surge. Being the last far-right anybody-but-Romney candidate left standing firm, a three-way involving Santorum was to be expected.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    a three-way involving Santorum was to be expected.
    And now my damn brain-in-the-gutter can't erase that image.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I thought the same thing....

And finally Bachmann is out.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/04/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I thought the same thing....

And finally Bachmann is out.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/04/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

Not that I'm surprised, but I'll miss her batsh!t crazyness and revised histories. Just like Palin..fade to black.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Rick Perry has come back to Texas to "think" about his future in the race.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Not that I'm surprised, but I'll miss her batsh!t crazyness and revised histories. Just like Palin..fade to black.
    Don't worry. She will still be around as one of the higher ranking people in government. She is on the house intelligence comittee you know.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Rick Perry has come back to Texas to "think" about his future in the race.
    Hope he doesn't hurt himself doing all that heavy lifting.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Hope he doesn't hurt himself doing all that heavy lifting.
    And nothing clears your mind quite like shooting a coyote...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2004
    It's crazy to think that a sizeable number of people support Santorum. Everyone knows he is vociferously opposed to gay people, but he also wants to ban all forms of contraception - even for married couples. wow.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Everyone knows he is vociferously opposed to gay people, but he also wants to ban all forms of contraception - even for married couples. wow.
    Now there's a winning platform... more unwanted pregnancies.

He had that hillbilly family (Duggars?) with 19 kids at his campaign rally last night- was that his way of saying "dammit I'm really serious about banning contraceptives!!"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    It's crazy to think that a sizeable number of people support Santorum. Everyone knows he is vociferously opposed to gay people, but he also wants to ban all forms of contraception - even for married couples. wow.
    IMHO - He doesn't stand a chance in mainstream 'Merica.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2011
    At this point, I think I'm ready to call the race for Romney.

Now my question is this: will Republicans' hatred for Obama overcome their distaste for Romney, at least to the point where Romney generates enough "excitement" to beat Obama? Seems to me this is a reprise of John Kerry and perhaps Bob Dole...
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Oh Oh

Just think.....in less than a year I can introduce the First 2016 Presidential Election Thread.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Me too. I don't think Santorum will pull out until the end, though.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    What are everyone's thoughts on Romney's position on government healthcare?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    What are everyone's thoughts on Romney's position on government healthcare?

Let me know which of his positions you're talking about and I can respond
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think it depends on how New Hampshire goes. If Huntsman gets a boost there, he might be a player. He hasn't rode the "I am not Romney" train yet. I still think he is the only one who has a shot at beating Romney (or Obama for that matter).
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Seems to me this is a reprise of John Kerry and perhaps Bob Dole...
    Funny, that very thought crossed my mind too

Registered
    Jun 2003
    That was priceless!

This whole campaign reminds me of the 1996 race. By many accounts, the Presidency was the GOP's for the taking until the GOP Congress laid an egg (giving Clinton the high ground) and the GOP failing to put out a strong candidate capable of retaking that high ground.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Well, this week it sounds like government mandated healthcare on the tax payers dime. From what I understand, he still wants it but to be an individual state thing backed by the federal government.

Side note, I don't understand why Rick Perry is still in. Does he actually thing he has a chance?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Side note, I don't understand why Rick Perry is still in. Does he actually thing he has a chance?
    The same reason Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich are still in. They are hoping to raise their profile enough to get a Fox News deal or sell another book. Ron Paul actually has convictions and keep them... so I can't say that about him.

Also, Perry still has around $3m to spend. You would hate to keep it if you can use it for "free" PR to your brand.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The same reason Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich are still in. They are hoping to raise their profile enough to get a Fox News deal or sell another book. Ron Paul actually has convictions and keep them... so I can't say that about him.

Also, Perry still has around $3m to spend. You would hate to keep it if you can use it for "free" PR to your brand.
    Ahhhh... that makes sense. I think that Santorum and Paul still think they have a chance to win it though.

+ Reply to thread
Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 45 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 10:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 4:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 1:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 3:44 PM