Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the outcome of tomorrow's presidential election will be?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins electoral and popular vote

20 76.92%
  • Romney wins electoral and popular vote

2 7.69%
  • Gary Johnson wins electoral and popular vote :thumb:

0 0%
  • Obama wins electoral vote, Romney wins popular vote

4 15.38%
  • Romney wins electoral vote, Obama wins popular vote

0 0%
  • Obama and Romney tie in the electoral vote

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 36 of 69 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast

Thread: The First 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    That was priceless!

This whole campaign reminds me of the 1996 race. By many accounts, the Presidency was the GOP's for the taking until the GOP Congress laid an egg (giving Clinton the high ground) and the GOP failing to put out a strong candidate capable of retaking that high ground.
    To me this reminds me of 2004. An unpopular incumbent that is vulnerable and the party out of power has a weak field to choose from. In the end they go with the most "electable" candidate...a liberal (by their parties standards) from Massachusetts, who turn it is to run, has a record of changing his position on a host of topics, is stiff, has trouble with politics on the retail level and is usually the richest guy in the room.

In '04 General Clark was the late arriving dark horse that kept saying stupid things, like Perry...similarities to the rise and fall of Rep Bachmann can be made to Howard Dean, both from cold states, political views in step with the extreme wing of their party and both enjoyed front runner status early and scared those in the opposition party to death with the thought of them being president. Both Edwards and Santorum were/are young senators whose had over inflated egos, constantly talked about their life story and did little while in the Senate excep bring home pork to their respective states.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Let me know which of his positions you're talking about and I can respond
    Many voters are curious about the odd positions taken by Santorum. I don't think he'll be on the top in New Hampshire.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I wasn't surprised by seeing Santorum come from behind in a last-minute surge. [snip] A three-way involving Santorum was to be expected.
    I don't think Santorum will pull out until the end, though.
    Dan, are all of these Santorum double entendres intentional? Maybe my juvenile sense of humor (and extreme dislike of Santorum) is coloring my perception here.

EDIT: And another

Many voters are curious about the odd positions taken by Santorum. I don't think he'll be on the top in New Hampshire.
    Definitely intentional. Ha!
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

The Google problem

Amusing article in favorite newspaper.

A candidate's search results page is one of the most important tools on the Web for pointing potential voters to a script written by the campaign in hopes of shaping public perception.

And after his near victory in Iowa on Tuesday, many voters have been searching for more information on Santorum. Many of them have gotten quite the eyeful.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post

A candidate's search results page is one of the most important tools on the Web for pointing potential voters to a script written by the campaign in hopes of shaping public perception.

And after his near victory in Iowa on Tuesday, many voters have been searching for more information on Santorum. Many of them have gotten quite the eyeful.
    I just assumed Santorum's ancestors were involved in the creation of a frothy mixture of fecal matter and lube which is how they got their last name.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    The same reason Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich are still in. They are hoping to raise their profile enough to get a Fox News deal or sell another book. Ron Paul actually has convictions and keep them... so I can't say that about him.

Also, Perry still has around $3m to spend. You would hate to keep it if you can use it for "free" PR to your brand.
    While Perry is certainly building is brand... as a Texan that has watched Perry rise and worked with his office, he absolutely still believes he will win. The man has an incredible ego and has never lost an election. He also honestly believes God called him to run.

I'm also glad, as a Texan, that he is still in the race. The longer he stays in and embarrasses himself, the weaker his power-hold on the Governors Office becomes as the GOP establishment withdraws support.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005

Ha! I googled him yesterday and found that same information. And I think Dan's comments were definitely intentional. It does, however, seem that Santorum's push from behind has really benefitted him by providing a firm grip on his constituency. Good that he didn't pull out early, though it probably helps that he reached deep into his...pockets...to finance this. After all this excitement, I wonder if he can keep it up in NH, or if he'll just fall asleep (maybe after eating a large sandwich...)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Let's just hope that Ben and Jerry's doesn't decide to do a Santorum-themed ice cream.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Let's just hope that Ben and Jerry's doesn't decide to do a Santorum-themed ice cream.
    aHahahahahahaha. Oh boy. Post of the year.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kalimotxo View post
    aHahahahahahaha. Oh boy. Post of the year.
    Well Santorum and Schweddy Balls DO usually happen together.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    In all honesty, Santorum is basically what already exists as our political system. might as well make it official.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Ha! I googled him yesterday and found that same information. And I think Dan's comments were definitely intentional. It does, however, seem that Santorum's push from behind has really benefitted him by providing a firm grip on his constituency. Good that he didn't pull out early, though it probably helps that he reached deep into his...pockets...to finance this. After all this excitement, I wonder if he can keep it up in NH, or if he'll just fall asleep (maybe after eating a large sandwich...)
    Corn dog!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Boston Globe Supports Huntsman.
    http://articles.boston.com/2012-01-0...th-care-reform

That could be a pretty nice bump for Huntsman if he plays his cards right.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Santorum Booed
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...r-gay-marriage

I have a feeling most independents and social liberals probably would boo this guy a lot. Which is why he has no shot.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Santorum Booed
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...r-gay-marriage

I have a feeling most independents and social liberals probably would boo this guy a lot. Which is why he has no shot.
    You are probably right, but it's easy to forget that a significant percentage of Americans support his views. According to wikipedia over 20 percent of Americans identify themselves as Christian fundamentalists, another 20% are strict catholics. Only about 40% of Americans actually vote. And the religious extremists tend to vote in significantly higher percentages than the general populace. Let's not forget that George W. ran as a somewhat religious conservative in 2000 and many of his positions from the 2000 election are similar to Santorum. Santorum's biggest hurdle is his total honesty about his polarizing views.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    According to wikipedia over 20 percent of Americans identify themselves as Christian fundamentalists, another 20% are strict catholics. Only about 40% of Americans actually vote. And the religious extremists tend to vote in significantly higher percentages than the general populace. Let's not forget that George W. ran as a somewhat religious conservative in 2000 and many of his positions from the 2000 election are similar to Santorum. Santorum's biggest hurdle is his total honesty about his polarizing views.
    I don't think religious fundamentalism holds nearly the sway it used to. Also, remember that latino voters make up a large majority of Catholics and are the largest-growing demographic group. Given the way that the GOP likes to scapegoat immigrants, I think one would be hard pressed to argue that Republicans can woo them into the fold with social issues.

Registered
    May 2004
    You are probably right, but it's easy to forget that a significant percentage of Americans support his views. According to wikipedia over 20 percent of Americans identify themselves as Christian fundamentalists, another 20% are strict catholics. Only about 40% of Americans actually vote. And the religious extremists tend to vote in significantly higher percentages than the general populace. Let's not forget that George W. ran as a somewhat religious conservative in 2000 and many of his positions from the 2000 election are similar to Santorum. Santorum's biggest hurdle is his total honesty about his polarizing views.
    Dunno about that. I suspect that most Americans either a) use birth control 2) support the use of birth control and/or iii) would not be in favor of its criminalization.

Registered
    May 2005
    There was a report out not long ago based on a survey of American Catholics and their practices related to birth control. A whopping 98 percent of Catholic women evidently said that they have used some form of birth control banned by the church. That was pretty shocking and suggests that at least some may not back Santorum just because they are the same faith - its become far more nuanced than that and this particular issue could play a role. I also know plenty of Democratic Catholics...

Also, the turnout for the Iowa caucus was pretty low and represents something like 20 percent of Republican voters (only 4 percent of under 30 eligible voters turned out) so I think its hard to say to what degree the results represent even the opinions of Iowa Republicans, let alone the national sentiment. Its true that a lot of Americans self-identify as Evangelical or Born Again and I have seen the 2005 numbers as high as 44 percent. But I think its a tricky business to suggest all of these folks share a desire to unite around a candidate that represents particular values. Other factors also will play a role like race, ethnicity, socio-economics, etc. We shall see - I think so many of Santorum's positions are way out of the mainstream and will be hard for many Americans to identify and get on board with.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2004

He might be done

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...tml?1325954577

I was so outraged by the president of the United States for standing up and saying every child in America should go to college. Well who are you? Who are you to say that every child in America should [go to college]? I mean, the hubris of this president to think that he knows what's best.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Boston Globe Supports Huntsman.
    http://articles.boston.com/2012-01-0...th-care-reform

That could be a pretty nice bump for Huntsman if he plays his cards right.
    Its mostly just the Globe thumbing their nose at Romney, who they were very disappointed in as governor.

The reality is that most GOP primary voters don't like the Globe, so its a little hard to see how this might help him, But maybe I am wrong.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...tml?1325954577

I was so outraged by the president of the United States for standing up and saying every child in America should go to college. Well who are you? Who are you to say that every child in America should [go to college]? I mean, the hubris of this president to think that he knows what's best.
    It was a stupid thing for him to say, but on some level, I have to agree with him. It might have been better to hear him say "Every child in America should have the choice to go to college." However, that is currently the case if they saved up and explored scholarship opportunities. I think that there needs to be a substantial shift on college funding away from student loans and more to private scholorships and saving up. However, I also think that in too many cases, the price of college is substantially higher than the value it provides.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Oops, wrong thread. Just assume that I made another brilliant yet pithy analytical political statement here.
    Last edited by ofos; 08 Jan 2012 at 9:28 PM. Reason: doh!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Oops, wrong thread. Just assume that I made another brilliant yet pithy analytical political statement here.
    I strongly disagree.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

The playoff games yesterday were a time to see commercials from the GOP field (advertising on Boston TV is a way to reach New Hampshire voters). Unfortunately, only one ad each from Huntsman and Romney. Both left a Democratic audience going what? Huh?

Romney in particular needs a better ad if hes going to win.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Huntsman had the quote of the weekend by far...

From here: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71211.html
    “I was criticized last night by Gov. Romney for putting my country first,” Huntsman said, looking straight into the camera. “And I just want to remind the people here in New Hampshire and throughout the United States that I think he criticized me, while he was out raising money, for serving my country in China.”

“Yes, [I was serving] under a Democrat. Like my two sons are doing in the United States Navy,” Huntsman said. “They’re not asking who, what political affiliation the president is. I want to be very clear with the people of New Hampshire and this country. I will always put my country first.”

Nor did Huntsman back down when Romney tried to respond.

“I think the decision to go and work for President Obama is one which you took. I don’t disrespect your decision to do that,” Romney replied. “I just think it’s most likely that the person who should represent our party running against President Obama is not someone who called him a remarkable leader and went to be his ambassador in China.”

Huntsman fired back at Romney, addressing debate moderator David Gregory.

“This nation is divided, David, because of attitudes like that,” he said.
    Holy Shit, Amen, Batman!

+ Reply to thread
Page 36 of 69 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:44 PM