Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the outcome of tomorrow's presidential election will be?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins electoral and popular vote

20 76.92%
  • Romney wins electoral and popular vote

2 7.69%
  • Gary Johnson wins electoral and popular vote :thumb:

0 0%
  • Obama wins electoral vote, Romney wins popular vote

4 15.38%
  • Romney wins electoral vote, Obama wins popular vote

0 0%
  • Obama and Romney tie in the electoral vote

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 35 44 45 46 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1725

Thread: The First 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    He will get no Mexicans. Non-citizens are not allowed to vote.
    I might want to start one. I find that interesting. Most of the hispanics I know refer to themselves as hispanics or latinos, not Mexicans. Maybe I need to get out more
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Well most of my family consider themselves Mexicans, even though we are US citizens and have been in this country for almost 100 years. And we vote. There are even millions of Mexican Republican voters.

If you want to have a discussion of the social construction of race and ethnicity, we should start another thread.
    Here's an article from the Christian Science Monitor that you might find interesting.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/...es-as-Hispanic
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    He will get no Mexicans. Non-citizens are not allowed to vote.
    Ziiiiing!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Off-topic:
    I might want to start one. I find that interesting. Most of the hispanics I know refer to themselves as hispanics or latinos, not Mexicans. Maybe I need to get out more
    If you ever call me a "mexi-'can'", I will certainly beat ya' down

(salvaderno-american)
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Off-topic:

(salvaderno-american)
    Now I'm confused. I always thought that calling someone Mexican was the greatest complement you could say about a person.

All right! Back to shouting at each other over politics!

Registered
    May 2004
    Off-topic:

(salvaderno-american)
    Okay, now I need to stay in more
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    At the risk of diverting this into a different discussion (as Gotta Speakup aptly warned against…), I just gotta ask: you all realize a) Rubio is Cuban-American, 2) not all people of Hispanic descent are from Mexico and 3) Hispanic is not a race, its an ethnicity. Yes?

As to people calling themselves “Mexican” even though they are Americans, that kind of thing happens all the time. I grew up around a lot of “Italians” who weren’t from Italy and also plenty of “Irish” whose families have been here since the Potato Famine or earlier.

And no ethnic group is a solid voting block. Just ask us white people…And the bigger the group gets, the more diverse the opinions within it.

All that aside, its hard for me to imagine who Romney might select as a running mate, but it will be interesting to watch. Traditionally, it seems to me, the VP running mate cannot be more charismatic or well-liked than the main candidate. That's what makes it hard for Romney, I think...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Traditionally, it seems to me, the VP running mate cannot be more charismatic or well-liked than the main candidate. That's what makes it hard for Romney, I think...
    Maybe he should ask McCain how that went

Sorry but I have to ask (even though it borders on trolldom).

If it is all Obama's fault that gasoline is near $4 a gallon, does he get credit for natural gas falling to $2 and the price of electricity falling to its lowest level in over twenty years?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Sorry but I have to ask (even though it borders on trolldom).

If it is all Obama's fault that gasoline is near $4 a gallon, does he get credit for natural gas falling to $2 and the price of electricity falling to its lowest level in over twenty years?
    Of course not.. it's the free market at work...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Nope. That's because of some policy from the previous Republican administration. We're only now seeing the positive effects of it.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Nope. That's because of some policy from the previous Republican administration. We're only now seeing the positive effects of it.
    And that's the problem with presidential politics in general. Most of what a president does will not be felt till after they leave office. So it becomes difficult to determine what a president actually did and what just blew up in his face. Of course the sitting president will try to attribute all the good stuff to himself and the bad stuff to someone else.

Registered
    May 2004
    This might be the most annoying general election ever. Obama and Romney seem to have pretty similar values (that being no core) and so neither candidate is willing to say much about what they will do or change, so instead I think we are going to see hundreds of billions of dollars in advertising going towards completely pointless crap like the mommy wars and whether it is worse to put a dog on a roof or eat a dog when you were 10 years old.

On the bright side, Newt was bitten by a penguin! http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...uhOT_blog.html

Registered
    May 2005
    This might be the most annoying general election ever. Obama and Romney seem to have pretty similar values (that being no core) and so neither candidate is willing to say much about what they will do or change, so instead I think we are going to see hundreds of billions of dollars in advertising going towards completely pointless crap like the mommy wars and whether it is worse to put a dog on a roof or eat a dog when you were 10 years old.

On the bright side, Newt was bitten by a penguin! http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...uhOT_blog.html
    Most annoying and most boring as well. I haven't been this unenthused about a presidential election in my lifetime. And I should be, with what is at stake. For the first time in my life, I feel a great sense of apathy towards national politics.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Most annoying and most boring as well. I haven't been this unenthused about a presidential election in my lifetime. And I should be, with what is at stake. For the first time in my life, I feel a great sense of apathy towards national politics.
    Agreed. When both probable candidates made it clear that they were going run on the economy (which neither can do anything about) and personal attacks (which are irrelevant), I started checking out.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Will be fun to watch Romney do mental gymnastics trying to blame the entire economic situation on Obama while not attributing anything to Bush or previous Republican policies.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Will be fun to watch Romney do mental gymnastics trying to blame the entire economic situation on Obama while not attributing anything to Bush or previous Republican policies.
    The RNC will give him a script of talking points to follow...which will be endlessly repeated on Fox(not)News.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would argue that this election is pretty important. If for the only reason being that it might shift the Supreme Court. I see a future where Gay Rights, Election reform, public financing, etc. is taken to a judiciary that leans left instead of right....

Interesting though when you think of the internet rights, fairness doctrine, etc. of how a left leaning court would handle such issues.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Obama has been very good to Michigan, no?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Obama has been very good to Michigan, no?
    Sure. The Michigan economy is actually in the beginning stages of a real comeback. But I think it has more to do with some of the structural changes at the State level that have occured over the last 18 months. The automobile industry was gonig to get its help even if McCain was President.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Jon Huntsman is in the news again...

http://news.yahoo.com/why-jon-huntsm...mmunists-.html

He really is an interesting prospect as President. I don't know if he would hurt Romney or Obama more?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Romney made his way to my hometown this weekend. They have had Bush I, Bush II, McCain, and Romney. Burgers, fries, and water. Gotta love politics.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Romney made his way to my hometown this weekend. They have had Bush I, Bush II, McCain, and Romney. Burgers, fries, and water. Gotta love politics.
    Who has water with their burger and fries? That's downright unAmerican.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Brither Logic...

Wow.. that really chaps my ass, considering i too would be "no longer a citizen" since both my parents were born out of this country. Guess I am illegal alien status..

Adonde esta la migra!

Registered
    May 2004
    Brither Logic...

Wow.. that really chaps my ass, considering i too would be "no longer a citizen" since both my parents were born out of this country. Guess I am illegal alien status..

Adonde esta la migra!
    Romney's dad was born in Mexico so he wouldn't be a citizen and therefore Mitt Romney also wouldn't be a citizen. I wonder why these people aren't concerned about that?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Brither Logic...

Adonde esta la migra!
    Are people still whining about that? I thought that this was all settled. Don't we have better things to focus on, like the issues?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

+ Reply to thread
Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 35 44 45 46 55 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:44 PM