Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the outcome of tomorrow's presidential election will be?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins electoral and popular vote

20 76.92%
  • Romney wins electoral and popular vote

2 7.69%
  • Gary Johnson wins electoral and popular vote :thumb:

0 0%
  • Obama wins electoral vote, Romney wins popular vote

4 15.38%
  • Romney wins electoral vote, Obama wins popular vote

0 0%
  • Obama and Romney tie in the electoral vote

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 46 of 69 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1725

Thread: The First 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Are people still whining about that? I thought that this was all settled. Don't we have better things to focus on, like the issues?
    Apparently, this is an exceptionally important issue. Failure to continually push this issue is admitting the constitution isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Big issues for me:

Privacy/Digital Privacy
    Small Business Tax Reform
    Lower/Middle Class Tax Reform
    Renewable Technology Investment increases and Policy improvements
    Increase in Urban Transportation and Development Programs,Funds,Policies
    "War on Drugs" Reform
    DOHS/TSA Reform
    Equity Issues (marriage/civil union, healthcare, women's rights)

Health
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    Apparently, this is an exceptionally important issue. Failure to continually push this issue is admitting the constitution isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Big issues for me:

Privacy/Digital Privacy
    Small Business Tax Reform
    Lower/Middle Class Tax Reform
    Renewable Technology Investment increases and Policy improvements
    Increase in Urban Transportation and Development Programs,Funds,Policies
    "War on Drugs" Reform
    DOHS/TSA Reform
    Equity Issues (marriage/civil union, healthcare, women's rights)

Health
    I thought it was proven that he was born in Hawaii (even it it was a US territory at the time)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2004
    I thought it was proven that he was born in Hawaii (even it it was a US territory at the time)
    Obama was born in 1961. Hawaii became the 50th state in 1959.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post

The fact that people can't let this go shows how sad this country has become.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Don't look at the real issues that are substantial in nature including but not limited to debt, fair tax reform, education, and employment.

We're going to distracting by screaming about non-issues that we can get emotionally drug into such as is an existing president in the third year of his 4 year term born in the USA (answered several times), abortion (landmark decision by Roe v. Wade), it their fault they are poor, marriage partners.

Yippee for politicial games. Baffle the masses with bullsh!+.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    1961? Oh, I thought he was older than that.

Regardless, I still think that some people need to move past the 'where was he born' thing and this campaign needs to be on the issues, how they will handle them and how they have handled them in the past.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    1961? Oh, I thought he was older than that.

Regardless, I still think that some people need to move past the 'where was he born' thing and this campaign needs to be on the issues, how they will handle them and how they have handled them in the past.
    The problem is that it keeps getting brought up and the leadership refuses to distance the party from those who hold those views. Probably out of fear that those people won't vote. The media picks it up and runs with it. The other problem is that it taints all the other discussions regarding the economy, taxes, etc. By refusing to categorically refute the claims, it lessens the their legitmacy on the other topics.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    The problem is that it keeps getting brought up and the leadership refuses to distance the party from those who hold those views. Probably out of fear that those people won't vote. The media picks it up and runs with it. The other problem is that it taints all the other discussions regarding the economy, taxes, etc. By refusing to categorically refute the claims, it lessens the their legitmacy on the other topics.
    Donald Trump. If you accept his endorsement with open arms... you have some explaining to do.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Colorado is now a battleground state... which means that our commercials on TeeVee are a ping pong match between Obama and Romney.
    The latest from the Romney camp? A quip on Obama saying the private sector is just fine (between images of unemployment line, etc..)

Frankly, what do you guys think?

I think that the private sector is doing quite well, at least for those at the top. Like Michael Moore said a while back, "America isn't broke".

I'm not chiming in for the evil "redistribution of wealth" mantra...

But I do think the private sector is doing quite well. Now if only the "job creators" would get the message and create some of those jobs....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    That was a quote taken out of context. He was basically saying the private sector is fine in that it's not shedding jobs like the public sector.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    That was a quote taken out of context. He was basically saying the private sector is fine in that it's not shedding jobs like the public sector.
    Alas, so others understand. You said it better than I could.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by zman View post
    Frankly, what do you guys think?

I think that the private sector is doing quite well, at least for those at the top. Like Michael Moore said a while back, "America isn't broke".
    I think DVR sales will increase as more Citizens United "speech" carpet-bombs the airwaves.

And corporate profit is at an all-time high. Corporations are just fine. Small business, another story but they don't have the money for lobbyists in DC.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2005
    Can someone explain how Romney's plan to cut taxes for the rich, firing a bunch of federal employees, and shifting responsibilities to the states is going to get the economy going?

We've had tax cuts in place for 11 years now. If they didn't create or prevent the recession, why would more cuts fix it?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Can someone explain how Romney's plan to cut taxes for the rich, firing a bunch of federal employees, and shifting responsibilities to the states is going to get the economy going?

We've had tax cuts in place for 11 years now. If they didn't create or prevent the recession, why would more cuts fix it?
    Think the rationale was that taxes weren't low enough to create and sustain jobs

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

I don't think it is just the tax cuts, but he believes that it will be a combination of things.

Here is his Tax Plan:
    For Individuals
    • Make permanent, across-the-board 20 percent cut in marginal rates
    • Maintain current tax rates on interest, dividends, and capital gains
    • Eliminate taxes for taxpayers with AGI below $200,000 on interest, dividends, and capital gains
    • Eliminate the Death Tax
    • Repeal the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)
    For Corporations
    • Cut the corporate rate to 25 percent
    • Strengthen and make permanent the R&D tax credit
    • Switch to a territorial tax system
    • Repeal the corporate Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)

(Here is a link to the other stuff mentioned)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Time to nominate a couple others for the 2012 Pres/VP ticket.....

Neil deGrasse Tyson - President
    Sen. Bernie Sanders - VP

Tyson has a broad understanding of the cosmos ("big picture" view important in the Oval Office) and certainly remembers when America had the world's strongest "let's get it done" attitude. Sanders has a nice mix of logic, compassion, and knowing when to stop throwing good money after bad money.

Let's go to convention!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Obama In Suburbs

When the news media announced that President Obama will campaign in a Toledo suburb this week I guessed that it would be the primarily-blue-collar suburb of either Oregon or Maumee. It is Maumee. The Prez will be at the Wolcott House Museum on River Road on Thursday. It is a small historical museum with some ample acreage for those who will attend. Another guess from the Bear: Place yourself on a bar stool at Dale's Bar in downtown Maumee. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama's strategists place him in a bar (with good food) that is known as a very big Ohio State Buckeye establishment. Grax, the owner, grad-u-a-mated from that big skool in Columbus.

For years I was a very regular "regular" at Dale's. It was our bar of choice after basketball, two nights a week, warm weather or winter weather. Until Grax eliminated the MUG CLUB I was Mug 11.

Yes, a few Michigan fans did the imbibe dance at Dale's.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This - http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-...ax-128026.html - is why Romney is going to have a tough time winning the presidency.

Instead of accepting that he did something that the President did, and that he did it with the same intent (albeit not very successfully at either level arguably), he is trying to make up reasons why his approach was different.

It is only a tax at the federal level. At the state level it is a penalty.

Mr. Romney, what is the definition of the word "is"?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    There are some reports that Romney has decided on his running mate and will make an announcement this week. What say you, throbbing brain of Cyburbia, who will Romney pick?

I am putting my money on U.S. Senator Rob Portman of Ohio. I have nothing to back up my hunch.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I think it will be either him or Pawlenty. I doubt either one will really do much for the ticket though.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I think it will be either him or Pawlenty. I doubt either one will really do much for the ticket though.
    Pawlenty would be my second choice. Of the people that I can imagine that would be on a potential shortlist, either him or Portman would ruffle the fewest feathers among conservatives and probably be the most palatable among moderates and left-leaning independents that Romney will need to sway.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Romney comes off like a stuffy rich white guy. Clearly he needs some spice on his ticket....how about a Maverick like Ms. Palin? That way he could hook both the Establishment types AND the Tea Partiers.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Obama is making a visit to central Texas today. The best part? He is hitting Austin at rush hour. For those of you familiar with Austin's traffic patterns, you know how badly this is going to F things up. So glad I don't work in downtown Austin anymore.

However, I believe folks are expecting him to possibly break a fundraising record of some kind during this visit.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    One thing that has amazed me over the last week or so is how poorly Romney's campaign has handled the Bain issue. Romney is asking people to take him at his word as Obama's campaign pulls out legitimate documentation that conflicts. Then having his chief campaign adviser use words like "retroactively retired" or refusing to release his tax returns just makes matters worse.

I honestly don't think Bain or Romney's taxes are a big deal but it kind of makes you wonder with how evasive he has been regarding them. Seems like both of these issues would be easy to put to rest but he's not doing it for some reason.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    One thing that has amazed me over the last week or so is how poorly Romney's campaign has handled the Bain issue. Romney is asking people to take him at his word as Obama's campaign pulls out legitimate documentation that conflicts. Then having his chief campaign adviser use words like "retroactively retired" or refusing to release his tax returns just makes matters worse.

I honestly don't think Bain or Romney's taxes are a big deal but it kind of makes you wonder with how evasive he has been regarding them. Seems like both of these issues would be easy to put to rest but he's not doing it for some reason.
    Romney's campaign flat-out sucks. It is a bad campaign that seems incapable of anticipating and addressing issues like this, which is inexcusable given his access to funding. I find the failure to release tax returns fascinating--releasing those should theoretically clear up everything the Obama campaign is charging IF ROMNEY IS TELLING THE TRUTH. The failure to release additional returns leads me to believe that the returns may contain even more damaging information. Two years is grossly insufficient, as he has known he was running for President the whole time during that period. I'd like to see 12+ years from both candidates. That used to be the norm. Heck, even a significant conservative voices in George Will & Matt Dowd are calling Romney out on this issue!

And I just love the fact that the guy with multiple mansions, a car elevator, bank accounts in tax havens, a supposedly 'blind trust' (even though he said in 1994 that blind trusts were a rouse) and tax breaks for his horse dressage hobby keeps trying to play the "Obama is out of touch with the average American" card. I don't mind him being rich (I voted for Kerry in 2004, after all), but I do mind it when it devolves to hypocrisy. I'm almost convinced Romney is saying stuff just to see if he can get away with it and still get elected based solely on corporate funding.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread
Page 46 of 69 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 56 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:44 PM