Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the outcome of tomorrow's presidential election will be?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins electoral and popular vote

20 76.92%
  • Romney wins electoral and popular vote

2 7.69%
  • Gary Johnson wins electoral and popular vote :thumb:

0 0%
  • Obama wins electoral vote, Romney wins popular vote

4 15.38%
  • Romney wins electoral vote, Obama wins popular vote

0 0%
  • Obama and Romney tie in the electoral vote

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1725

Thread: The First 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    I suspect low-information Rmoney voters neither know nor care that Iran has seaports. But yes, the talking points are especially dumb. Whoever is crafting these phrases would be out of a job in a sane world.
    I'm sure he was referring to the Mediterranean Sea. But I still agree with you regarding his talking points.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2009

My new favorite foto

Priceless:

-------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm sure he was referring to the Mediterranean Sea.
    But its not Iran's route to that sea, either. Syria doesn't border Iran at all and so they would have to pass through (by land or air) Turkey or Iraq to get to Syria and they don't get along with either. That was a pretty big screw up in my mind.

Mostly I was just shocked that, in a debate about foreign policy, there was little to no discussion of Mexico or Europe and how those economies impact the US. Since they were so eager to talk about domestic stuff anyway, this seemed like a perfect segue.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Oct 2009
    The final debate at a glance:

Romney: I'll do what Obama said, but I promise to be louder.
    Obama: We have aircraft carriers that carry planes.
    Pakistan is key to the Middle East.
    Israel! Israel! Israel!
    We need better trade with China.
    Forget Europe and the rest of the American continents. They're not important.*

(*admittedly, the questions picked didn't quite lend themselves to those regions)
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Not adding anything substantive here, but I saw this and just had to share. (I still have the vintage box to go with the battleship game I got for my 8th birthday)

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    What's with Romney bending over in front of women?!?!?!?!?! First the little girl picture and now this one with Ann.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Is a Super PAC Economy happening? Case in point, in 2010 there was $11 mil in money spent for lobbying against "Obamacare" while $30 mil was spent on negative advertising by super pacs concering the same. That advertising money went to the media (newspapers & tv). By 2012 the total figure (for and against the same) was $310 mil.

Ya know, alot could be done with $310 million besides commercials dumbing down the public.
    (...and thats just on one issue folks)
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    By 2012 the total figure (for and against the same) was $310 mil.

Ya know, alot could be done with $310 million besides commercials dumbing down the public.
    (...and thats just on one issue folks)
    You're just jealous of the job creator's success and how they choose to spend their hard-earned money. ;o)
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Poll challengers, what is acceptable.

In talking with a local city clerk, I learned that many of the poll challengers have gone so far as if there is any emblem of party on any article of clothing, the voter must step out of line and either remove that article of clothing, turn it inside out, or come back with something different on… this includes children.

So being me, I tossed out a hypothetical. Apparently neither of these would be permitted at a polling station on my 7 month old.

Makes me wonder where the line is. Will I be asked to leave if I wear a green shirt with a little tree on it? What about a blue shirt or a red shirt? Are polling watchers taking this too far? I mean come on, will my 7 month old in either of the shirts above intimidate someone into voting for a different candidate? Yes, he is cute as hell, but come on people.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

While I think that Trump is a total jerk, I think that this is very interesting that he is willing to spend $5 million to get those documents released. What are your thoughts on it?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    While I think that Trump is a total jerk, I think that this is very interesting that he is willing to spend $5 million to get those documents released. What are your thoughts on it?
    If you have nothing to hide just release them and move on, but it won't happen. It is all a part of a political game that Obama nor any sitting president should play. We need to focus on real issues such as closing our budget deficit, immigration reform, and finding OJ's "real" killers, etc.
    Last edited by Raf; 24 Oct 2012 at 1:53 PM.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Romney's tax returns are a bigger deal than some college transcripts and passport documents... Admittedly a bounty has been put on those tax returns and nothing has surfaced yet.

Registered
    May 2005
    I can't believe I am responding to this, but...

Again, no presidential candidate to date has ever released their college transcripts (Bush’s Yale transcripts were hacked and released illegally). They are not “sealed” as many have claimed. Its simply illegal for any college to release any current or former students’ transcripts to the public without express permission from that student.

The passport issue is the same damn thing. I assume he is interested in seeing the place of birth information. Another ridiculous distraction. He’s the president of the United States for Christ’s sake. Do you not think he was vetted by the proper authorities? Or is everyone an idiot but The Don? This is all insulting not only to the president, but to all the government departments that work to ensure such things. Was the birth certificate not enough? This whole attempt to disqualify the president from being president on a technicality is just embarrassing. If your not happy with him, don't vote for him. Its really very simple.

Lastly, and this is the most disgusting part, Trump seems to be dangling this huge sum of money with outrageous strings attached as something of a backhanded bribe. The assumption, I imagine, is that if the president does not comply, he will be seen as hurting the poor who this money would ostensibly help. Its frickin’ blackmail!

He says the president would be doing a “great service to the country” by releasing the info and letting the money flow to charity. How about Trump does a “great service” and just donates the dang money without strings attached? As an ardent and vocal supporter of Romney, there is only one way to interpret this ridiculous “announcement.” Antagonistically partisan.

What an embarrassment...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Oct 2009
    ^ I completely agree. It is shameful that prominent figures are playing these types of games.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My annoyance is that he actually thought that would "change the election". Seriously? Sheldon Adelson and the Koch brothers donating millions to campaigns in secret is changing the election, not some non-news story that is just put out there to get attention on Trump.

Why would anyone cover this? It isn't news. It is a man who wants attention, asking for attention. If he had some actual news, then that might be different. I was hoping he had some information that would "change the election". This didn't quite meet that standard.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    What are your thoughts on it?
    More money than brains. And these people control the world.
    -------

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Birthing

Although George Romney was born in Mexico, he was eligible to be/run for president because his parents were US citizens. Just looked up and found that McCain was born in Panama.

The president had the best response on Jay Leno.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Interesting article about Third Party candidates...

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus downplayed the impact of third-party candidates earlier this month, telling CNN that Johnson's candidacy was "almost a non-factor."

Could Obama's struggles with white voters cost him the election? Voters "are not going to throw their vote away when we have an election here that's about the future of America," Priebus said. "I don't see that happening."
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/25/politi...html?hpt=hp_t2

I would imagine that the two party leaders would be against people voting for who they like instead of going with party lines.... but it is pretty bad to say that it is a thrown away vote. If my guy loses, then he loses... it isn't about thrown away votes. If everyone thought that, we would never see a third party candidate succeed. My hope is that people are smarter than Reince Priebus and vote for whoever they like...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I voted on Tuesday after work. The polls were more crowded than I expected, but moved farily quick.

Hey, mskis - Johnson is on the NC ballot.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I counted like 15 presidential tickets on the Colorado ballot. There was even an Ayn Rand inspired Objectivist Party candidate there. Then somehow Roseanne Barr got on there as well.
    Last edited by Blide; 26 Oct 2012 at 9:40 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I counted like 15 presidential tickets on the Colorado ballot. There was even an Ayn Rand inspired Objectivist Party candidate there.
    We have 7 on our ballot in Ohio.

Also, I heard this morning that Green Bay is the largest media market for political ads right now, not Ohio. I cannot imagine how bad it must be there if it is worse then here.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My caller ID shows we've been averaging about four political-robo-calls a day (seems to be worst on Sundays).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    My caller ID shows we've been averaging about four political-robo-calls a day (seems to be worst on Sundays).
    I received 14 one night last week. I get more Obama than Romney. And now I am getting more Senate Race candidates then Presidential. Last night I checked the foot candles of a digital billboard we approved and every single ad was political (minus a couple Miller Light ads). I watched for an hour... it was painful.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Early Voting done so I can just sit back and observe from here on out.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    May 2004
    I've never lived in a swing state so I've never been subjected to the ads and the political trench fighting. Y'all swing staters are crazy!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread
Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:44 PM