Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the outcome of tomorrow's presidential election will be?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama wins electoral and popular vote

    20 76.92%
  • Romney wins electoral and popular vote

    2 7.69%
  • Gary Johnson wins electoral and popular vote :thumb:

    0 0%
  • Obama wins electoral vote, Romney wins popular vote

    4 15.38%
  • Romney wins electoral vote, Obama wins popular vote

    0 0%
  • Obama and Romney tie in the electoral vote

    0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 55 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1725

Thread: The First 2012 Presidential Election Thread

  1. #1601
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,761
    Quote Originally posted by prudence View post
    So this thread is just another opportunity to bash anyone who has a differing opinion from Democrats. It is generally one long diatribe on how glorious the Left is and how their way of thinking is the only way...

    It must be exhausting to continually point out how horrible the rest of us are.

    Thank you for your perseverence.
    Did you have a question or a response to the OP? Or are you just trolling?

    It must be exhausting to continually point out how horrible the rest of us are.
    It cuts both ways, my friend. Since you just did the same thing...

    BTW, love your generalizations! They're just your size...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  2. #1602
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    11,881
    There is a lot to reposed to so I will keep it simple. You don't need to own a car, thus no car nsueance. You don't need to own a house... No house insurance. The only way to not have the health insurance mandate is to leave the country.

    The government is requiring us to buy a product or service. That is why the Supreme Court called it a tax.

    I don't think anyone is bashing me. They are just thinking in a way that I feel is wrong and I fear that their way of thinking will destroy this country.
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

  3. #1603
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    2,296
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by prudence View post
    So this thread...
    Hey - prudence lives!
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  4. #1604
    Cyburbian ColoGI's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colo Front Range
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    They are just thinking in a way that I feel is wrong and I fear that their way of thinking will destroy this country.
    Some are fed talking points to manipulate them into to being afraid, and to think that the mendacity they are fed is the dirrrty lib'rulllls way of thinking. What is sad is there is a market for this sort of messaging.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

  5. #1605
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    Bill O Reilly is just the latest Fox news person to say O hates America because blacks hate whites. Wtf people?

    And now fox is saying Obama let his own ambassador die because he hates America because he is black and so naturally sides with the terrorists. Even blowhard Geraldo is complaining that his network is being irresposible.

    Seriously. Fuck you Fox News and their fans.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  6. #1606
    Gunfighter Mastiff's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Middle of a Dusty Street
    Posts
    6,346
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    There is a lot to reposed to so I will keep it simple. You don't need to own a car, thus no car nsueance. You don't need to own a house... No house insurance. The only way to not have the health insurance mandate is to leave the country.

    The government is requiring us to buy a product or service. That is why the Supreme Court called it a tax.
    It is very simple, and I'm unsure why you just can't concede a point. I said the exact same thing about the car and house that you just said, but you avoided the very rational nexus I made. Let me make it one more time and see if you wish to address it. In fact, I'll just use you as an example to make it simple, and define each point and my conclusion.

    A) You aren't Superman, hence you have have the ability to be injured or have a medical issue.

    B) Since you have lived for a time, you've either had an accident or medical condition that required the care of a physician.

    C) Health services must be paid.

    D) If you could not pay the bill, the cost was borne by others through the increase of fees to cover the loss.

    E) As an average wage earner, you do not have the funds to pay for any expensive medical procedure out of pocket.

    THEREFORE: Unless you have health insurance, and you had a major accident or medical issue, you would not have had the ability to pay the bill, and have harmed me financially.

    It's that simple, Mike.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

  7. #1607
    Cyburbian ColoGI's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colo Front Range
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post

    And now fox is saying Obama let his own ambassador die because he hates America because he is black and so naturally sides with the terrorists. Even blowhard Geraldo is complaining that his network is being irresposible.
    Ewww. You watch Faux?
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

  8. #1608
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    11,881
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    It is very simple, and I'm unsure why you just can't concede a point. I said the exact same thing about the car and house that you just said, but you avoided the very rational nexus I made. Let me make it one more time and see if you wish to address it. In fact, I'll just use you as an example to make it simple, and define each point and my conclusion.

    A) You aren't Superman, hence you have have the ability to be injured or have a medical issue.

    B) Since you have lived for a time, you've either had an accident or medical condition that required the care of a physician.

    C) Health services must be paid.

    D) If you could not pay the bill, the cost was borne by others through the increase of fees to cover the loss.

    E) As an average wage earner, you do not have the funds to pay for any expensive medical procedure out of pocket.

    THEREFORE: Unless you have health insurance, and you had a major accident or medical issue, you would not have had the ability to pay the bill, and have harmed me financially.

    It's that simple, Mike.
    Amazing. I know you are a bright guy, but you post something like that? There is also a chance that my identity might be stollen, should the gov require I get insurance for that too. About half the population gets devorced, should the government require people get a pre-nup?

    The US was created because our founders wanted to get away from this type of thing. I agree it is foolish to not have insurance, but it is wrong for the government to require it.
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

  9. #1609
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Location
    newark nj
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Bill O Reilly is just the latest Fox news person to say O hates America because blacks hate whites. Wtf people?

    And now fox is saying Obama let his own ambassador die because he hates America because he is black and so naturally sides with the terrorists. Even blowhard Geraldo is complaining that his network is being irresposible.

    Seriously. Fuck you Fox News and their fans.
    I used to really enjoy Fox News. Probably the last couple of years of the Bush administration and first year of the Obama administration. In fact I though their election day coverage in 06 and 08 was better than on the other channels.

    With that said, the derp at Fox News grows exponentially by the minute.

  10. #1610
    Cyburbian ColoGI's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colo Front Range
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    ...There is also a chance that my identity might be stollen, should the gov [key tell] require I get insurance for that too. About half the population gets devorced, should the government require people get a pre-nup?

    The US was created because our founders wanted to get away from this type of thing [sic] . I agree it is foolish to not have insurance, but it is wrong for the government to require it.
    Ridiculous hyperbole aside, I'd suggest that if you are sooooo sad about living in a society that finally cares about the health of its populace that you should pack up and go Galt move, but golly, every other G20 country is enlightened and you would get taken care of in any of those countries too if you got sick. So it would be wrong to live in any other first-world country too (and cheaper for better health care, but one topic at a time). You'll have to have your sad and get over it and expect your health-care expenses to increase more slowly now. Shucky darns, eh?
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

  11. #1611
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Amazing. I know you are a bright guy, but you post something like that? There is also a chance that my identity might be stollen, should the gov require I get insurance for that too. About half the population gets devorced, should the government require people get a pre-nup?

    The US was created because our founders wanted to get away from this type of thing. I agree it is foolish to not have insurance, but it is wrong for the government to require it.
    But in none of these instances will society be required to pay for your lack of insurance but when you don't have insurance and receive medical services someone pays...it is you, your insurance or society through either government assistance or higher medical bills for those that either pay out of pocket or have insurance.

    Besides government does not require you to have health insurance. You can choose not to and pay a tax to help offset the cost of providing you access to medical service. You have a choice.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  12. #1612
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    But in none of these instances will society be required to pay for your lack of insurance but when you don't have insurance and receive medical services someone pays...it is you, your insurance or society through either government assistance or higher medical bills for those that either pay out of pocket or have insurance.

    Besides government does not require you to have health insurance. You can choose not to and pay a tax to help offset the cost of providing you access to medical service. You have a choice.
    All of this is very correct. I can't stand the weak sauce argument that the government is forcing you to get insurance or that it is going to lead to the government forcing you to do lots of other things....

    If your identity gets stolen, you are out money. You neighbor is not. The only affected party is you.

    In a divorce, only the two people involved are affected. If you don't have a pre-nup, it doesn't affect your neighbor.

    If you don't have medical insurance and then go to the Emergency Room (where EMTALA forces you to be seen), you will get service, you will get care, and you will get a big bill that will never be paid. Understanding that if you don't pay it, those physicians need to make a living somehow, Mike, how do you suggest that I am not affected?

    A simple step by step guide:

    1. Person goes to the Emergency Room without insurance, gets service.
    2. Hospital doesn't get paid for service.
    3. Hospital raises rates for insured to cover cost of uninsured.
    4. I go to ER with insurance.
    5. I pay more because I have insurance.

    A person not having insurance affects a much larger pool of people. It isn't like if you don't have insurance the only person who is affected is you. It affects the physicians who care for you (they don't get paid), it affects the hospitals (they have to raise their rates to cover costs), and it affects your neighbor (he has insurance and has to pay more because of you).
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  13. #1613
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    11,881
    I understand how the ER works since my wife spent two years working in one doing overnights before she moved up to doing heart transplants.

    It does not matter what other countries do. There are some countries that don't give women the freedoms that we have here. Should we allow that to happen too.

    It is wrong to require the government to require us to buy something... Even more wrong to require people to go against our religious beliefs.
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

  14. #1614
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I understand how the ER works since my wife spent two years working in one doing overnights before she moved up to doing heart transplants.

    It does not matter what other countries do. There are some countries that don't give women the freedoms that we have here. Should we allow that to happen too.

    It is wrong to require the government to require us to buy something... Even more wrong to require people to go against our religious beliefs.
    Again the US does not require its citizens to purchase health insurance, why do you keep misstating the facts on this topic? The federal government requires those without health insurance to pay an additional tax. It is not a fine which would suggest a violation of the law if you are not in compliance.

    Is it wrong for state governments to require car insurance? Is it wrong for cities to require HOA's if there is a common area?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  15. #1615
    Cyburbian Veloise's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I understand how the ER works since my wife spent two years working in one doing overnights before she moved up to doing heart transplants...
    My sister sang in her HS choir for three years, but I don't pretend to have any expertise on vocal music.

  16. #1616
    Cyburbian ColoGI's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colo Front Range
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    My sister sang in her HS choir for three years, but I don't pretend to have any expertise on vocal music.
    My mom worked ER for nine years at St John's in Day-twa, retired as a nurse after 40 years. I won't share what she calls people who aren't able or aren't willing to grasp what ACA means - she has a potty mouth and this is a family board, after all.

    But unless Rmoney's son and Rove's buddies hack the machines in Ohio and FL after they suppress the vote, this is an exercise in what-ifs, anyway, because POTUS appears to have the electoral college (unless they have hacked the polls too).
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

  17. #1617
    Cyburbian Tide's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Gig City
    Posts
    2,638
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    because POTUS appears to have the electoral college
    With every swing state poll almost tied or within the typical margin of error of 3 - 3.5 nothing is a sure bet on Tuesday.
    @GigCityPlanner

  18. #1618
    Cyburbian ColoGI's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colo Front Range
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    With every swing state poll almost tied or within the typical margin of error of 3 - 3.5 nothing is a sure bet on Tuesday.
    I agree, but I like the odds. My wife and I are betting on a within 3-vote range in the Electoral College and I will be a very happy boy indeed if I get the number right. ;o)
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

  19. #1619
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,507
    Blog entries
    3
    Strange. In solidly blue New York, political ads from PACs just started appearing on local channels. Most are anti-Obama.

    Tompkins County: semi-rural, generally white collar/affluent. Yard signs are mostly for Democratic local, House and Senate candidates. Few Obama signs, no Romney signs.

    Cortland County: semi-rural, generally blue collar/working class. Scattered Romney signs, no Obama signs.

    Tioga County: rural, generally working class. Romney signs everywhere.

    EDIT:

    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  20. #1620
    Cyburbian ColoGI's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colo Front Range
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Strange. In solidly blue New York, political ads from PACs just started appearing on local channels. Most are anti-Obama....Romney signs everywhere.
    Talking Points Memo has several entries discussing this phenomenon of dumping ads in states where the Red team isn't going to win.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

  21. #1621
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I understand how the ER works since my wife spent two years working in one doing overnights before she moved up to doing heart transplants.
    "Moved up"? I am fairly certain that having one specialty does not make you more knowledgeable about anything else. I would say your argument would be more valid if say you were an Emergency Physician. Or even if your wife was trained in Emergency Medicine or was a Boarded Emergency Specialist...

    You make a very weak argument for knowing anything. If you believe Dave knows everything about the economy because it is so... then you probably are making the same argument that you are right on this... because it is so, and therefore there is no discussing it further, but please know, you have made no argument to support your misleading statements. You have shown no proof, as to your weak assertions of unfair mandates, or unreasonable government takeover of our rights.

    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    It does not matter what other countries do. There are some countries that don't give women the freedoms that we have here. Should we allow that to happen too.

    It is wrong to require the government to require us to buy something... Even more wrong to require people to go against our religious beliefs.
    Yes, because women's rights are very similar to the healthcare issue at hand. Squirrel!! Did you know some countries also allow pirates to freely live in their borders, and some countries allow pot, and some countries force all people to take 6 weeks of vacation a year.... what horrible places those must be... I would hope we wouldn't allow such horrible things to happen here. Squirrel!

    Not to quote Seth and Amy, but.... "Really?". I know that you disagree, but please try and disagree on more than just what you feel are your rights. As a defender of the constitution, although your rights are inalienable, so are everyone else's. I have seen more people who claim to be defending freedom and religion, who are really out to get those who don't agree with them - i.e. How the healthcare law "forces" people to be covered for contraception, and therefore is breaking your religious beliefs. It doesn't force you to get contraception. It allows those who want it to be able to get it... it is better for the whole, not just a certain demographic that is anti-contraception.

    I know I am not right on every issue. I know that I don't agree with either side on many moral, value, and judgement issues. I know that we all are biased in our own views... but if you are unable or unwilling to see past your own bias, there is no reason to have a discussion about politics. Period.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  22. #1622
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally posted by ddomin4360 View post
    I used to really enjoy Fox News. Probably the last couple of years of the Bush administration and first year of the Obama administration. In fact I though their election day coverage in 06 and 08 was better than on the other channels.

    With that said, the derp at Fox News grows exponentially by the minute.
    I don't watch much tv but when I'm following politics I want to get both sides. Fox has now gone both full on racist, and full on subversive. It was just a year or so ago when people like Buchanan and Beck were admonished for racist rhetoric. Now its almost all of the right-wing media saying Obama hates America because he is black. And Fox is now outright lying about the events in Libya and actually suggesting the president watched Americans die and withheld help - a proven lie - because he sides with terrorists over Americans. Its disgusting.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  23. #1623
    Cyburbian ColoGI's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colo Front Range
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

    EDIT:

    I started noticing that the Valerie Jarrett-Behghazi-latest nutter conspiracies weren't on here, and then realized you can't make a diagram that is going to be able to fit all the conspiracy theories that these Faux watchers believe are true.

    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

  24. #1624
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,062
    There is an election coming up?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

  25. #1625
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,471
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    There is an election coming up?
    There are 23 phone numbers that showed up on my caller ID over the weekend which suggest this may be the case. TRUE.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 55 64 65 66 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 75
    Last post: 19 Mar 2014, 9:50 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:44 PM