Fellow APA Iowa Members,
The APA Iowa Chapter is pleased to announced that registration for the 2010 APA Iowa Annual Conference, being held in cooperation with the APA Nebraska Chapter is now open. This year's conference, themed, "Sustainably Rebuilding the Heartland" will be held from Wednesday, October 27th thru Friday, October 29th at the Mid America Center in Council Bluffs.
The conference registration packet is available at http://www.iowa-apa.org/events/confe...formation.html, and includes the full conference schedule.
Highlights of the 2010 APA Iowa Annual Conference Include:
· Ability to earn up to 14.5 AICP Certification Maintenance Credits (CM), including the required Law and Ethics credits
· Online Conference Registration is available with the use of a credit card, by clicking here <https://www.planning.org/ecommerce/conference/viewConferenceDetails.aspx?conferenceId=133> . Register by October 1, 2010 to get early bird pricing. Online registrations must be received by October 15, 2010.
· Hotel Reservations are available at two hotels, to receive the discounted rates, reservations must be made by September 26, 2010:
· Country Inn and Suites, 17 Arena Way, Council Bluffs, IA 51501, (712) 322-8282. This hotel is attached to the Mid America Center, mention APA Iowa to receive the discounted rate of $89.99 per night.
· Hilton Garden Inn, 2702 Mid American Drive, Council Bluffs, IA 51501, Phone (712) 309-9000. This hotel is attached to the Horseshoe Casino and is within walking distance of the Mid America Center, mention APA Iowa to receive the discounted rate of $89.00 per night.
· Four Mobile Workshops are planned, highlighting the exciting changes occurring in the Council Bluffs/Omaha metro area, including tours of the Aksarben Village in Omaha, Brownfield Redevelopment Tour, Downtown Redevelopment Tour and a Bike Tour highlighting regional trail planning efforts..
· Our keynote speaker Eric Corey Freed, LEED AP, a Principal with organicARCHITECT and acclaimed author of "Green Building and Remodeling for Dummies" will share his story about not "why" we need to go green, but "how" we can go green in his Detroit, Dallas & Despotism: a 3D View of Sustainability presentation.
The conference registration packet, online conference registration and hotel reservation are also available on the APA Iowa website, www.iowa-apa.org. We look forward to seeing you all in Council Bluffs from October 27th - 29th!
Also, don't forget APA Iowa is now accepting award nominations. Awards are being accepted in 14 planning related categories, within three divisions: Planning Excellence, Planning Achievement, and Distinguished Leadership. These categories match the newly released 2011 National APA Planning Award categories, so nominees applying for the APA-Iowa Awards can easily apply for the same award through National APA. There is a new category this year: "Disaster Mitigation and Hazard Planning."
The deadline for submission of the awards is THIS Friday, August 27, 2010, with presentation of the awards at the 2010 APA-Iowa Conference, which will be held at the Mid America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa from October 27-29, 2010. The Awards Packet, including the Application Form is available on the APA Iowa website at www.iowa-apa.org <http://www.iowa-apa.org> , or more specifically at http://www.iowa-apa.org/index.php?id=85.
Finally, our colleagues in Minnesota are hosting this year's 2010 Upper Midwest Planning Conference in the lovely city of Mankato. Information is available at www.plannersconference.com including the draft schedule of sessions, mobile workshops, social events and to register for the conference to be held on September 22nd through the 24th. Early registration is September 2nd.
I look forward to seeing you all in Council Bluffs in October!
David R. Wilwerding, AICP
American Planning Association - Iowa Chapter
6221 Merle Hay Road; P.O. Box 410
Johnston, IA 50131
Phone: 515-727-7775 - Fax: 515-727-7776
dwilwerding (AT) ci (DOT) johnston.ia.us <mailto:dwilwerding (AT) ci (DOT) johnston.ia.us>
Mark your Calendars!
APA Iowa Annual Conference
Sustainably Rebuilding the Heartland
October 27-29th, 2010
MidAmerica Center - Council Bluffs, Iowa