Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What are you?!

Registered
    May 2006

What are you?!

In these times of Trump we gotta focus on unity over identity but still I am curious as to the background of the 'burbia!

Genetically I am 75% Napolitain Italian, 25% Galway Irish. In Practice I am 100% New Yorker now expatrioted on track to becoming Anglo-Québécois. I feel less American than I do New Yorker, more Italian than Irish but most comfortable in French Canada, I have no knowledge of any of my ancestral languages but speak fluent Canadian French, go figure. I also identify with a counter-culture strongly. I like to think of myself as a complex person haha.

What do you identify in terms of culture/background? It's all relative!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm 50% German and 50% mutt which makes me 100% American. I think my dad's side goes back toward the Penn. Dutch, but there's some French in the family and the name is Scottish or something up that way.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

I'm about 75% German, the rest being mostly Swede with possibly a little Dutch mixed in. I used to identify as Swedish/German/Midwestern. However, I've been in the Deep South long enough now that I'm a hybrid Southern/Midwestern with the Southern showing through. I'm reminded that I've lost a lot of my Midwesterness every time I go back up North. I'm also a person of faith.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I am an American you Canuckastani wanna be.

I am Yooper by birthright, southern by location, redneck by both.

I am mostly Irish, however I am also English, Scottish, and Lithuanian.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Dad's side: UK coalminers (English & Welsh) primarily with a small amount of French too. They moved to NE PA to start and then dispersed in the 20s/30s from there.
    Mom's side: We haven't done much in genealogy research, but from where they were based on this side of the pond and their surnames it stands to reason it's Germanic roots.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I am about 80% German and the rest is English or Scotch. Most of my grandparents and great-grandparents were born in Germany (either in the Rhine/Dortmund region or Alsace). I have a very Irish sounding name (except to people from Ireland or the U.K. who immediately recognize it as English) and we've been able to trace my dad's fathers side of the family back to coming from England to Baltimore in the late 1600s but then they kept moving around to NC, Kentucky, Ohio and then marrying Germans and moving back and forth to Germany and France as well so even though we have a last name would look right at home in phonebook in Glasgow, we have a lot of second cousins and great aunts and uncles with very German sounding names.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I most identify with being a NYer but I will admit that I bet it's not exactly the same NYer that Terminator identifies with.

I'm also 50% Eastern European and 50% everything else so I agree -- 100% American all the way!

I also identify with rural/ country folk and secretly would want to be a rancher/ farmer if it wasn't so much darn work!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    English and Irish, with one Swiss ancestor.

My English roots run deep here, to the 1600's.

I speak a little Yinzer, but my original language is southern.

One half is second generation Dane, with a little Swedish thrown in for flavoring. The other half is German, with Scotch, Welsh, and Irish in the mix.

I've been in the Midwest so long now, but I still speak East Coast fast when I'm excited or anxious. That doesn't always go down well with laid back Midwesterners, some of whom presume it is anger when it is not.

However, Donald Trump's tendency to hold his right hand up, with his index finger pointed up and the remainder forming a circle on his thumb, which he then wags at people. It brings out the East Coast in me and makes me want to smack him in the face. You don't talk to me like that, you furry chee-to!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 14 Dec 2016 at 3:29 PM. Reason: wrong generation description
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I am about 2/3 French (by way of Quebec, so I guess French-Canadian), 1/4 Danish, and the small remainder a bit of English & Irish. My last name is French and nobody can pronounce it correctly here in 'Mer'ca.

I also identify as Chicagoan or Midwestern having been born and raised there, although having lived in Arizona now for 5 years I should be considered practically a native considering the transience of the local populace.

My wife is a great big mix of Northern European ancestries (English, Irish, Swedish, French, German, and Danish she thinks), so our daughter is pretty much a mutt (but a very CUTE mutt!).
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Half Polish Half German.

Polish by way of inner city mid 20th century Buffalo Eastside

German by way of Eastern and Southern Germany.

Born and raised in northern LOWER Michigan and am a Great Lakes stater to the end...I hope.

I can make all the "stubborn, cheap Pollack/Kraut" jokes I want. And "northern rednecks" jokes, since I grewup around and am related to many in rural northern Michigan.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    German, Irish, Dutch, English (kind of roughly in that order). But my (Americanized) German last name came from a Hessian soldier who came over to fight for the British but then stayed to farm after the Revolutionary War.

Personally, I'm kind of a weird mix of West Coast, Midwestern, and hillbilly Southern, having grown up (and having family in) the South (West Virginia) and Midwest (Ohio) but I've been in California for 15 years now (minus a one year stint in New Mexico). I love a lot of things about each region, but I identify with the West Coast the most now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Mostly central and east European ancestry. A fairly typical American mutt mix with sprinklings of English and Dutch too. And while it has little or nothing to do with my ancestral heritage, I tend to be surprisingly subversive. I say surprising because people who know me casually would never suspect the tendencies in me.

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I claim to be 100% Irish, particularly Black Irish. Any rumors to the contrary are unsubstantiated.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't know the percentages, but I believe my ancestry is mostly German (including both pure German from the central and southern parts of the country as well as parts that are from a region that straddles the line between present day Germany and Poland), with a little bit of Norwegian, and possibly bits of Irish and French as well. I really should investigate my ancestry more. In any case, all my family has been in America since the late 1800s and my ancestry doesn't have all that much bearing to me.

I identify more strongly as being a Chicagoan since my family has pretty much always been here in the Chicago metro area. My parents, both sets of grandparents, and some of my great-grandparents were all born in the city and I was born in a bordering suburb. However, while I can deal with the city, I've always lived in the suburbs and prefer suburban living. In any case, despite spending much of my time on the suburban fringe, I've been told by numerous people from numerous places that I have a very strong Chicago accent.

I also identify with being a Midwesterner and the diversity of values that comes with that, including an appreciation for both the rural and urban parts of our region, efficiency and a strong work ethic, a big heart and lots of passion but without all the niceties and long-winded storytelling of the South, progressive values on certain social issues and conservative values on others, an ability to withstand all the elements, Lutheranism (but not too far to the right), an enjoyment of the outdoors, a passion for sports and a greater passion for hockey than you would see in other parts of the country, a great knowledge of and appreciation of surrounding states, and an appreciation for all the local food we have.

Above all, though, being an American is most important to me and I can identify with people of all types from all different places across our country. And without freedom and democracy, we would be nothing. And all the different traits that make my corner of the country or your corner of the country so special and unique wouldn't be able to thrive and exist without freedom and the democratic structure that forms the foundation of the United States. What works for my part of the country may not work for yours and vice versa, and I'm glad for that diversity of ideas, values, and cultures.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I easily identify with a number of cultures, regardless of blood.

From a blood perspective, I am very, very English. There are some small bits & pieces of French, German & Scottish, but the main roots go to the Cheshire area of England, near Manchester. We surfaced in the colonies in the early 1700s in Virginia.

I was born & raised in Texas, but you wouldn't really know it. My Texas accent is virtually deleted at this point. No cowboy stuff. No Texas pride (except when mocking). Not Republican. Not loudly patriotic. My dad even jokes that I was born in the wrong state. I feel like I most identify with midwesterners and the Cascadia area most.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    100% Polish blood, born and raised in Cheektowaga, NY, (Buffalo suburb), live in Fort Worth, Texas, now. I have no idea what that makes me.

I like where I live, but mostly because I've hooked into the local hipster culture which tends heavily liberal.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    With my newly found cousins, I walked the streets of my O'Brien ancestors this summer. (Clontakilty, Cork, Ireland) The sense of connection and belonging was overwhelming and a bit creepy.

+ Reply to thread