Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer vacations - 2010

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Summer vacations - 2010

Although it will not be summer, I'm planning on a golf trip to Dauphin Island. We'll play a couple of the Robert Trent Jones courses in Alabama. I'll take and post plenty of pictures. There's an old fort on the east end of the island. The house we've rented is on the beach. Looks exciting.

ZG, her son, and I are also planning a trip out to the West Coast when our new airport opens and Southwest begins service.

I know it's early, in crappy economic times, but does anybody have plans for getting away this summer?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Jersey Shore as usual.
    Wonder what projects Mom will want me to do this year ?

Last summer, I told her I was not going to touch/remove the poison ivy on the fence.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    80% chance of Russia in July. 50% WDW with family in August.

I'll be home bound, tending to the animals, for most of this summer while the BF gallivants around the world without me.

I wish I were going to South Africa for World Cup...if anyone has tickets and needs a travel companion please let me know!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Jersey Shore as usual.
    Are you going to make it onto the MTV show that got picked up again?

I will be going to Colorado as usual, and possibly the upper East Coast somewhere... NYC, or Maine are two places the Mrs. hasn't been to yet...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I will be going to Colorado as usual, and possibly the upper East Coast somewhere... NYC, or Maine are two places the Mrs. hasn't been to yet...
    If you're travelling in the summer, go to Maine, much nicer than NYC in the summer!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I am planning at least 1-2 long weekends over the summer visiting Austin and Houston. I considered so cal in mid-late April again but that is on the backburner. Other options are a road trip out west to Santa Fe and Alburquerque in the fall or partying down in Ft. Lauderdale or the Keys in Novermber or December. Growing up my parents took my sister and I on a ton of vacations all over the place. I am very grateful that I finally have the means and time to do some travel for leisure
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Last summer, I told her I was not going to touch/remove the poison ivy on the fence.
    This is where you will have to throw aside all environmental convictions and buy yourself a lawn sprayer and some Brush-b-Gone. Some plants do not deserve to be treated humanely! You can't eat these and they will make irritate you physically (and through mom emotionally)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I don't think there will be a summer vacation, but likely a late spring vacation instead.

We are planning to go somewhere in May or maybe early June. The only vacation we took last year was to go play with the Jeep in the sand dunes along Lake Michigan for a weekend and a side trip to the Rock and Roll HOF when we went to Toledo for a friend's wedding and I'm sure I enjoyed those much more than the wife.

This year, my wife was originally thinking maybe three or four days somewhere within driving distance (Chicago, Toronto, Traverse City, maybe even Montreal...) but now this weekend she began dropping hints about somewhere warm like the Caribbean or a cruise for a about a week. We'll see how I feel about that! I like letting my vacation days accumulate and never actually using them!

I was also trying to find a way to make it to the Austin City Limits festival in March, but I don't think that will happen. Any of the Austinites on here willing to host a fellow Cyburbian for a few days so I can save money and possibly get Mrs. WSU MUP Student to allow my attendance?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2009
    We might go to Denver and SLC sometime this summer. Other than that our plans are up in the air because of wife finishing PhD thesis so it may end up just being a couple weekend trips relatively close.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We have been kicking around a week in Ireland, but I don't think its going to happen. Its looks more like a couple domestic trips for 4-day weekends. We also go back home to Florida every summer for a week to see mom and eat fresh seafood.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Well, if I still have a job (not out of the woods, yet) I plan on taking the wife and kids to Yellowstone.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Staying in NY and hiking the high peaks. Camping in Adirondacks and Catskills again. Might also go to the Florida Keys to visit the parents in late spring.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 2002
    One or more trips to Colorado, one or more to DC/VA. Panama is looming for next winter. I lived there 55 years ago and we are starting to look for places to retire to. We will spend most of the summer waiting for BUN to visit his son in Oregon.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We have been given a time share for a vacation. We have to decide where we are going to go and what it will cost.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Things have changed. 0% Russia. 0% WDW. 100% Scotland and Ireland.

We booked it yesterday. It was the most I've ever shelled out for a plane ticket. That's what you get for traveling in peak season. Next vacation I'm going back to my cheapskate tendencies and booking off-season.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    New job and all so not sure if we will doing any long trips. Besides I just got back from Istanbul
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2004
    One week in SLC and Jackson Hole, with outdoor activities planned (Olympic Park in Park City, Utah looks fabulous).
    Hubby is thinking of taking his golf clubs. If he does, that means some time in the spa for me!

Europe for me in the fall. Haven't made dates work, yet, but I have two options of places to stay.

I really wanted to do Europe this spring, but between people out at work with major health issues (including my boss), and hubby's family needs, I'm stuck for a while.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Things have changed. 0% Russia. 0% WDW. 100% Scotland and Ireland.
    Don't drive or you will be

Coming from the US I had a lot to get used to, the roads are significantly narrower, and everything is reverse to what you are used to. Worst yet, if you are left handed like I am the rest of the party naturally thought I'd take to driving like that the easiest so I was either the driver or even worse the front seat passenger! Shifting with the left hand is not a natural movement for me.

Otherwise I loved it and ate at the famous restraunt named after the local guy, it was named McDonalds, I think they have them here, but the key difference was there McDonalds is where you go to get the good food!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sure.....

Gary Indiana for two weeks

Here is my motel:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/curtisj...in/set-265341/
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post

Here is my motel:

You should've had posted that picture instead.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post

Here is my motel:
    I actually stopped at that hotel a few years back and wandered around amazed at how desolate it was. Had I known that would be my future?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Clearly its heading into winter here- i didnt get away anywhere for summer, as i used my holiday card last Jan/Feb!

We are planning to head to Turkey for a couple of weeks next April, but in the mean time, we are looking to take a short road trip after i finish uni in August. It will either be the snow, or im angling for a trip to Mungo National Park.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't know what will happen with the job search but that may impact my vacations this year. Pessimistically, I'm expecting to be an unemployed recent grad on the job-hunt all summer long. If that's the case, my vacations will consist of tagging along with the GF on a bunch of long-weekend car trips to visit her family and friends in nearby states in the Midwest. I could also see going out to see one of her friends and one of my friends in Colorado at some point, but we'll see what happens.

If the job search does go well, I could see my tagging along on weekend trips being a little less frequent due to the need to focus on the job.

If I happen to come across some money, I'd like to go see Bon Jovi at Solider Field this summer, but it's doubtful.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I don't know what will happen with the job search but that may impact my vacations this year. Pessimistically, I'm expecting to be an unemployed recent grad on the job-hunt all summer long. If that's the case, my vacations will consist of tagging along with the GF on a bunch of long-weekend car trips to visit her family and friends in nearby states in the Midwest. I could also see going out to see one of her friends and one of my friends in Colorado at some point, but we'll see what happens.

If the job search does go well, I could see my tagging along on weekend trips being a little less frequent due to the need to focus on the job.

If I happen to come across some money, I'd like to go see Bon Jovi at Solider Field this summer, but it's doubtful.
    Sorry bro, we all went through it before. Even at my first entry-level job, vacations were vacations were vactions: just too expensive unless it was a day's drive by car out of Chicago. I'm finally able to plan some nice long trips in other parts of the country but vacations are still darn expensive.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I have some weekend trips here and there planned. My wife is due at the of July with another chupacabrita, so most of the summer will be pretty mellow. For work I'll have to do two multi-day float trips on rivers in northern Alaska in ealy June and the end of August.

an old fort on the east end of the island.
    I lived out on Perdido Key 2003-2004 and at the end of that barrier island there was a ferry that would take you across the bay and drop you off at D-Island. If it's still there I definitely do that again.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bad vacations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Apr 2013, 4:14 PM
  2. Summer Vacations - 2011
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 21 Mar 2011, 1:50 PM
  3. Kids - Planning Summer Vacations