Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning as a career in Canada

Registered
    Dec 2009

Planning as a career in Canada

I have always taken an interest in the Canadian system and was wondering if anyone could advise on the career opportunities for planners there. I would be on a New Zealand visa and I have three years experience working in New Zealand and Australia. My project experience mainly relates to roading and telecommunications infrastructure.
    Would be great to make contact with an expat or local working as a planner in Canada.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    Bump.

I'm interested in this question too, and I know somebody out there must know something...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by hurdles View post
    I have always taken an interest in the Canadian system and was wondering if anyone could advise on the career opportunities for planners there. I would be on a New Zealand visa and I have three years experience working in New Zealand and Australia. My project experience mainly relates to roading and telecommunications infrastructure.
    Would be great to make contact with an expat or local working as a planner in Canada.
    The market for experienced planners isn't too bad right now - we did not get hit as heavily by the recession, although private land development work definitely slowed. There is still high demand for transportation planners. I'm not sure exactly how similar the planning systems are but it does seem somewhat common for planners from Canada to end up in Australia/New Zealand and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Canada is the future! When global warming takes out more land around the equator, our climate will warm and everyone will migrate up. And BOY do we have a lot of land to plan(BC alone is the size of germany+france)... but maybe by then we'll have long gone to another place.

Planning in Alberta in particular is very good here. 40-50k to start. My town of 20,000 is offering a salary of 75-87k with 7 years experience and the jobs are plentiful. Planning is also more respected here among the public because of more emphasis on government intervention overall.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Nice theory....but.....

Quote Originally posted by vxw View post
    Canada is the future! When global warming takes out more land around the equator, our climate will warm and everyone will migrate up. And BOY do we have a lot of land to plan(BC alone is the size of germany+france)... but maybe by then we'll have long gone to another place.
    Much more likely.....the additional tilt of the earths axis resulting from several massive earthquakes in the last 10 years will result in another ice age, beginning tomorrow. Canada is hosed now eh?

I like reading this thread. Working in BC or Alberta could be cool.....he he he
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning jobs in Canada?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Aug 2012, 12:33 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Dec 2011, 7:53 AM
  3. Planning internships in Canada
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1