Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GIS courses online

Registered
    Jan 2010

GIS courses online

I am going to be attending grad school for city planning next fall, but was looking into taking a GIS course before attending. Just wondering if anyone knows of good online GIS course for a beginner just to grasp the concepts and provide a good foundation for my future? I have a masters degree already in IT so I am very computer savy.

Registered
    Jun 2008

ESRI

ESRI has plenty of books with software for 60 days that is a good start for beginners. Also look at MapWindow or Accuglobe which are open source and free softwares that are also very customizable, if you have Programming experience you might like this as it is a very low cost alternative.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    ESRI has a nice series of free seminars. http://training.esri.com/campus/seminars/recordings.cfm

I would start with "Editing in GIS 9: Tips and Tricks"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    MIT also has most of their courses available online for free through their OpenCourseWare. I haven't checked out any of their GIS courses online but they do indeed have at least one: A Workshop on Geographic Information Systems from the Fall 2005 semester.

This might be an interesting alternative to the ESRI courses.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2010
    I know USC has a GIST program where they grant GIS certificates at the end of the program. All the courses are done via internet and virtual desktop connection so its not neccessary to install arcgis onto your computer and you can access it through a program they use call citrix. Also there are opportunities to go to Catalina Island for summer coursework, but I think its optional. Good luck!

Registered
    Mar 2009
    i would suggest looking at itunesU for webcasts at top universities. Just type "GIS" in the search field (right hand side) and click on itunesU in the left hand pane
    We architects and urban planners aren't the visible symbols of oppression, like the military or the police. We're more sophisticated, more educated, and more socially conscious. We're the soft cops.- Robert Goodman, After the Planners My Planning Forumino

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Mar 2009, 11:15 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 31 Aug 2007, 10:42 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Oct 2005, 4:32 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Mar 2005, 8:51 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Dec 2004, 2:16 AM