Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cooling our cities in the wake of global warming

BANNED
    Registered
    Jan 2010

Cooling our cities in the wake of global warming

Following, the current news on Global warming and the fiasco that the Copenhagen Climate Summit has become has deflated, dissolved and blow to fragments my tiny bubble of hope that we as a planet had finally become conscious citizens and would henceforth take responsibility for Mother earth.

Hmphh, fat chance! Not with the money there is to be made from keeping things just the way they are – that is - heavily dependent on fossil fuels and pumping the pockets of greasy politicians.

So, I was pleasantly surprised to find one ray of hope in my daily Google search. Yes! I’m addicted to Google.

Apparently, Lavasa(India); a Future city that’s basing itself around utopian ideals – follows an Environment Management Plan (EMP).

hmmm… and what would such a plan include – I wonder…..

Well, so thus far what they have on the agenda includes :

Topsoil management : By setting up a plantation of fast-growing shrubs, and 20000 running meters of continuous contour trenches (CCT), covering 33 hectares.
    Tree transplantation/ mass plantation – a total of half a million tree saplings have been planted at Dasve (Lavasa’s first city) with an average survival rate of 70%.
    Hydro-seeding- (which has been applied successfully for the first time in India) has resulted in a 44% germination rate over 12000 square meters of area.
    Monitoring systems - Installing 3 weather stations to continuously measure and monitor metro-logical parameters such as rainfall, wind speed and direction, humidity and temperature.
    Cool nah?

And I mean that literally. What could be better for global warming reduction – than an entire city implementing green-eco-friendly solutions.

Lavasa baby, I’m giving you a green thumbs up for the effort!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    That will be an interesting project to keep an eye on regarding its successes & failures. Do they have a website? Have they established metrics for energy usage? What do they plan to do with the actual buildings?
    Adrift in a sea of beige

BANNED
    Registered
    Jan 2010

Yes they do have one

Moderator note:
    (Dan) Link deleted.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    That's very pretty. In the part that is already built it looks like they did a good job of integrating it with the existing landscape. It gives the appearance that it has been there a long time and grew organically. Those stone bridges look quite authentic. Here we often have to choose prefab bridges from a catalog. Its more urban than most American New Urbanist developments. They had a rather scenic site to start with, and really respected it.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    OP banned. They made two more posts that included their URL. Considering the source (an Indian SEO firm, of course), I doubt they will stop promoting their blog with a mere warning.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Now it is global cooling???
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 30 May 2008, 1:14 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Apr 2007, 12:36 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 03 Feb 2007, 8:59 AM
  4. Global Warming?
    Friday Afternoon Club