Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Office View

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Not being a planner (just an IT techie), I have an office on the first floor with an entire window wall! It impresses people, I suppose, but the truth is, it's cold in winter! The windows look out on a sidewalk, a patch of weedy "lawn", and the main parking lot of a community college. My desk looks the other way, facing the door that opens on a hall way only used by the staff in our unit so it's not busy. A couple of years ago, I scrounged up a college-owned impressionist-style painting of people with umbrellas in a rainy park to hang on the hallway wall opposite my door, so that's my view. Oh, and next to my door are two other great views ... an 11 x 14 photo I took of Niagara Falls about 20 years ago from the Maid Of The Mist and my 2010 Great Lakes Lighthouses calendar that replaced my 2009 Great Lakes Lighthouses calendar that replaced my 2008 Great Lakes Lighthouses calendar ...

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Well, I can see the rooftops of a really ugly Centex Homes entry-level new home neighborhood. Oh, and I get to see little wanna-be gangbangers walk through the office park periodically.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Börk, börk, börk!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Here's the view from my cube... of another cube. Not much different than mine except much more tidy.

"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I am in a cubicle with 1 very large lovely window that it is actually up a bit too high to have a "view" but I do have the option to stand up and look out of it should I want to, and it could conceivably pour fresh, bright, crisp, energizing Hawaiian sunshine all over me and my 2 coworkers that I share the cubicle space with except that they both despise the shades being open and complain all day about the glare if I dare to crack open the shades, thus they remain partially opened and angled upwards so that I can only see a hint of light. All this in an effort to see their computer screens better.

Another example of why working on computers all day is the devil's work.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    The highway. Meh.

Although, I have seen a couple of rather spectacular collisions take place within my field of view. I actually saw a semi truck t-bone a car one day. Miraculously, I think the motorist survived without major injury.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    corner office, with a door - not all it's cracked up to be folks...(the other window is on the weather neverending thread)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front window view.jpg   view out the door.jpg  

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    corner office, with a door - not all it's cracked up to be folks...(the other window is on the weather neverending thread)...
    Did a pack of wild chimpanzees go through your office?
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Bushes as tall as the windows. It lets light in, but that's it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005

Thanks, Urban Renewal!

The hills in the background and very distracting in the summer and fall.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Photos are dated (from when we moved to our new building in '05), but you can see a bit of my view of the parking lot and police maintenance shed/impound area from my office...

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

post of the day, budy - I burst out laughing!

Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Did a pack of wild chimpanzees go through your office?
    I work, I leave

Registered
    Jun 2009
    The view out of my windowless cube in the basement of what used to be a police department room (but also serves as both a bomb-proof fallout shelter) is of bookshelves for our planning "library". Exciting, I know.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Bushes as tall as the windows. It lets light in, but that's it.
    The other window has a view of smaller bushes and a resurrection tree.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Couldn't agree more. Lived corner office world for almost 20 years and am now in a very open cube land. Love it.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Today's view.

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    Today's view.
    That's either a very short building or a very tall snow pile!

Registered
    Dec 2008

Sunny here today, but really cold (for UT, anyway.) That's Ben Lomond Peak you can see.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

BANNED
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    Yeah my view is covered with about a foot and a half of snow as well. Not much to look at - just other buildings' rooftops, but it's all white out there today!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    The shades to the window adjacent to my desk have been open since the beginning of 2011. I have been loving it. This lovely dove keeps me entertained all day, hoping around, mating with some other dove that stops by, and pruning herself, though she has serious hygiene issues (just look at all the dove poo covering her nest)!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Börk, börk, börk!
    Good God! Look at all the Volvos you sure you're in america???
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2006
    BUMP!

Working for myself, I have some choice in where I choose to spend my day. About once a week, I choose to work from my house in the country. Here's why...

Guess where I'm working from today and what the weather is like.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Nice, Ofos! How is the fishing there? Man, what I wouldn't give for some water around here - its been a long time without rain...

My current office (I'm changing jobs in about a month!) affords me a view of some nice vegetable beds atop the boiler room that is my patio. Out the window I can see the tops of some large elms and, if I crane my neck, the Sandia mountains in the distance. Not too bad. But nothing like the bucolic setting of Ofos'! I gotta find a way to work from our place in the mountains!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Nice, Ofos! How is the fishing there? Man, what I wouldn't give for some water around here - its been a long time without rain...
    I've been told that the original owner (I'm the second) raised catfish in the pond. Just some small panfish in it now. I've done some restoration and weed/algae control but haven't restocked it. My hope is to find the time and $$$ to put up a windmill to provide some aeration before doing that. In the meantime, I just enjoy the view and all the wildlife that it attracts.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yesterday's overcast view:

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 8:36 AM
  2. What is your view on APA chapters?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13