Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Census 2010 - schedule for data releases

Census 2010 - schedule for data releases

I was poking around the Census website...

Is there any schedule of data releases yet?

Has anyone seen 2010 census tract shape files? land area estimates?

When will Census 2010 data be available?

Summary files for the 2010 Census data will be released “on a flow basis from April 2011 through September 2013.”

For more information, you can check out this blog post on the topic: http://www.cubitplanning.com/blog/20...-be-available/

Let me know if you have any more Census related questions.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I haven't seen a definitive schedule of releases yet. According to law, the count data has to be delivered to the President by December 31, 2010. Count data for redistricting (Public Law 94-171 data) will be delivered to locals by March 31, 2011. All the rest of it will be released between April 2011 and September 2013. Summary data will be closer to April 2011 and PUMS data will be closer to September 2013, if history is any guide.

As for TIGER data, I have worked with preliminary blocks and block groups with LUCA, but the finals won't be out until after the count is complete. Again, no dates yet. There is a brochure at the Census Bureau Geography page that manages to give very little information, but this is where the files will be placed once they are done.

Thanks!

I remember waiting for the final data to be released after the 2000 Census - I needed it to finish my dissertation.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    when will just the population figures come out?

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    when will just the population figures come out?
    They will come out with the PL 94-171 tables. A description of the data:

"Public Law 94-171, enacted in 1975, directs the United States Census Bureau to make special preparations to provide redistricting data needed by the 50 states. It specifies that within one year following the Census Day (i.e., for Census 2000 by April 1, 2001), the Census Bureau must send to the govenor and legislature in each state the data they need to redraw districts for the United States Congress and state legislatures. The National File provides data in a hierarchical sequence down to the block level (state, county, voting district/remainder, county subdivision, place/remainder, census tract, block group, block). The file contains four tables: (1) a count of all persons by race (Table PL1); (2) a count of Hispanic or Latino and a count of not Hispanic or Latino (Table PL2); (3) a count of the population 18 years and older by race (Table PL3); a count of Hispanic or Latino and a count of not Hispanic or Latino by race for the population 18 years and older (Table PL4)."

http://www.icpsr.org/CENSUS2000/redistricting.html

The President will get data on December 31, 2010, but I believe that is only the total population count for the nation, not small area details.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Mar 2013, 12:43 AM
  2. Detailed 1940 census data
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 14 Apr 2012, 7:41 AM
  3. Citing Census Data
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Mar 2007, 6:20 PM