Thread: Hats

Registered
    Feb 2004

Hats

Quote Originally posted by Monty Python's Meaning of Life
    Chairman: [of the Very Big Corporation of America]... which brings
    us once again to the urgent realisation of just how much there
    is still left to own. Item 6 on the Agenda, the Meaning of
    Life... Now Harry, you've had some thoughts on this...

Harry: That's right, yeah. I've had a team working on this over the
    past few weeks, and what we've come up with can be reduced to
    two fundamental concepts... One... people are not wearing
    enough hats. Two... matter is energy; in the Universe there
    are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some
    energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's
    soul. However, this soul does not exist *ab inito*, as
    orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into
    existence by a process of guided self-observation. However,
    this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be
    distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

[Pause.]

Max: What was that about hats again?
    Hats. JFK is often blamed for the demise of the hat, but the truth of the matter is that as a fashion accessory they had already begun their exodus by the time he took office. Personally, hats are one of the few areas of fashion that interest me. They offer the pragmatic advantages of keeping one's head warm, dry, and if equipped with a brim keeps the sun out of one's eyes. Beyond that many hats do tend to look cool. While nothing may say 'hopelessly stodgy' more than a fedora this day and age, I'm sure they were the cat's pajamas back in the 1920's.

Nowadays it seems the most ubiquitous hat to be found is the humble ball cap. Undoubtedly it's one of the more utilitarian designs humans have devised. Sure they are incredibly light weight and do manage to keep the sun out one's eyes most effectively.....but they impart absolutely no panache, no style, and donning one instantly transports one to the category of 'informal attire' even if one happens wearing a $1400 Armani suit. One may as well walk down a street with a plug of tobacco in their mouth and singing Garth Brooks songs if achieving a casual air is the desired effect.

How about you - when do you wear hats? And what type of hats do you tend to wear? Do you feel anyone whose job does not entail roping steers should be entitled to wear a cowboy hat? Do you wear a yarmulke or other head covering as part of any religious observance? Does anyone have a favorite 'Col. Henry Blake fishing hat' they like to wear while angling? How about street caps or other fashionable headwear whilst clubbing? Does anyone actually wear Easter bonnets anymore (or did they go the way of white gloves)? Folks living in the north are at an advantage in the hat department this time of year, but perhaps our southern friends make up for it in the summer headwear department when July rolls around. Tell us about your hats.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have a knit hat I wear in the winter but that's about it. I used to wear baseball caps but decided I didn't like the way I look in them. They do tend to keep the rain out off my glasses to a certain extent though.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I wear "ball caps" when outside - hiking, gardening, playing with the dogs, etc - and also on days when I just don't feel like doing anything with my hair. Pull it back through the loop in the back, and I'm ready to go out the door. I don't own any other kind of hat, even though there are times when I wish I had a nice, warm, cozy winter hat.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2004
    I've been looking for a nice hat lately. I wear beanies alot- especially when it is cold. But now that I am getting a little older I think I might finally be able to get away with a nice hat. When I'm really old (70's) I intend to wear very large top hats and walk with a cane.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm really susceptible to hat hair, so I usually don't wear a hat unless except during the winter. When it's cold, I prefer something that can cover my ears, like a tuke or a furry Cossack hat.

In Austin, a lot of hipsters wore porkpie hats. I've only had a couple of porkpie hat sightings since my return to Buffalo, where New Era caps are king.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have found that my extremely large head does not bode well with most hats. I have entered hat stores and tried on hats and found that none will even fit me...

Hats are tough though... I think you need strong features to pull off some hats like Dragnet style. I wear baseball hats all the time though. It seems they have no problem finding fitted 7 3/4 sized hats...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

For once I'll beat everyone to it:

Now, if you're in a receptive state -- of mind -- I'll recapitulate:
    cat, hat; in French, chat, chapeau
    in Spanish, el gato in a sombrero
    in German I'm a Katze in a Hut, and don't you know,
    I'm a guanka in a bunkaquank in Eskimo

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I am a pretty regular hat wearer. Have a whole collection of baseball caps from teams I've seen, places I've been, etc. Today, hats tend to create a more casual look. I feel kind of nostalgic about the days when hats where used for a more formal appearance.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Time for a new spiked hat!

Where is the Midwest APA conference this year?

It should be built by then!

Its always fun to see people reaction to the ultimate in silly hats!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have about 20 or so ball caps that I wear with varying degress of regularity, usually I'll sport one of the two Red Sox caps I own. I enjoy collecting them but it is getting harder to find the understated styles that I like nowadays, seems like most designs are urban/hip-hop inspired with huge flashy logos, rounded crowns and flat brims.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ohh I LOVE hats! I have many hats and love to buy more (not into shoes so had to get into something) and am wearing one of my favs today a lovely brown bowler hat from Talbots!

I have the big 8 inch brim black swoopy glam sort of sun hat, big wide straw sun hats, Panama hats, a couple of berets...I LOVE hats!

I really want to start making my own pillbox type hats with cute bird cage veils *drool*
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't wear a hat unless its super cold outside and then just a knit cap. Like Dan, I get hat hair.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    Time for a new spiked hat!

Where is the Midwest APA conference this year?

It should be built by then!

Its always fun to see people reaction to the ultimate in silly hats!
    Upper Midwest APA Conference is hosted by MNAPA in beautiful Mankato, MN.

I sometimes will wear a ballcap in the summer on weekends or when doing something strenuous, i.e. helping someone move. I too am susceptible to hat hair, I usually don't wear any hats to work in the winter b/c I would have to deal with hat hair all day. I will wear a nice knit cap when I am out and about running errands in the winter.

Yeah. Hat hair is a real bummer. Does anyone know how this was addressed during the golden age of hat wearing?

I have a fair collection of hats, redsox hats, fedoras, a straw hat I wear to redsox games, a knit cap when its real cold outside. But I'd freeze or get rain or sun in my eyes rather than having hat hair.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I have collected hats since I was a young child, and the only times I don't really wear a hat or ballcap is when I go to work or church.

My collecting began when I was a young child. I was completely enthralled by baseball. I'd wear my Texas Rangers cap everywhere, and whenever my family would go on vacations, we'd usually go to a baseball game at our destination, if an MLB team is there, and I'd purchase a hat for the home team as a souvenir. This trend later started being applied to other sports/areas as well. This means I have hats for teams I don't care for (NY Yankees, Green Bay Packers, Dallas Cowboys, etc) as well as teams I'm big fans of (aforementioned Rangers, Chicago Bears, OKC Thunder, etc) and several colleges (OU, Nebraska, North Texas, Rutgers, Wheaton). I probably have about 40-45 ballcaps in my collection.

As I got older, I also became enamored with 1930's-1950's US culture, and began wearing ties/suits occasionally to school and looking for wide-brimmed hats popular in the era. My first was a black leather apple cap I had when I was a kid, but I quickly outgrew it. The first I bought myself was a tan felt panama purchased at a flea market in Apache Junction, AZ. I still have this hat and wear it fairly often, but it's somewhat worn out and I wear it casually when it rains (I got it treated) and for outdoors-y type expeditions (hiking, camping, etc). My next was a black felt top hat I could wear with my performance tuxedo when I was in the Youth Orchestra of Greater Fort Worth (no tails, otherwise I'd have gone for the satin top hat). Next was a Baileys brown felt fedora I bought in New York City on my senior class trip. This hat is my default hat when I wear a tie/suit; I made sure it was a dark enough brown to go with pretty much any color suit I would ever own. Once I entered college I realized I didn't have any summer hats, so I bought a Stetson straw fedora from Peters Bros. Hats in downtown Fort Worth (they actually make their own, too - I highly recommend stopping by if you're ever in Fort Worth). Unfortunately, the fedora was pretty much for formal occasions only, so I bought an inexpensive straw panama with a moisture-wicking elastic headband for casual wear. This hat doubles as a western-wear hat when I curve the bill appropriately on the sides. I also bought a black suede apple cap that I can pretty much wear whenever, but goes really well with sweaters. And last but not least, I bought a brown leather cowboy hat for my wedding, which can be seen in my wedding photo album on my Cyburbia profile.

In short, I enjoy hats. I get hat hair pretty bad sometimes, so I generally keep my hair short. Part of me even wishes I'll go bald eventually so I can wear hats even more often and not worry about looking unprofessional when I take it off.

Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Yeah. Hat hair is a real bummer. Does anyone know how this was addressed during the golden age of hat wearing?
    Heavy use of pomade or other wax-heavy hair care products.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 02 Feb 2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: seq. posts

Registered
    May 2009
    I like John Hiatt's lyrics when it comes to attitudes about hats. They can simplify your life but still be stylish if worn right.

Forget the mousse and the hairspray, sugar
    We don't need none of that
    Just a little dab'll do ya girl
    Underneath a pork pie hat

I just wear ball caps cubs, colts, IU etc. I am in the deep south after all. When I lived "up north" I wore sock hats in the winter.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post

As I got older, I also became enamored with 1930's-1950's US culture, and began wearing ties/suits occasionally to school and looking for wide-brimmed hats popular in the era. My first was a black leather apple cap I had when I was a kid, but I quickly outgrew it. The first I bought myself was a tan felt panama purchased at a flea market in Apache Junction, AZ. I still have this hat and wear it fairly often, but it's somewhat worn out and I wear it casually when it rains (I got it treated) and for outdoors-y type expeditions (hiking, camping, etc). My next was a black felt top hat I could wear with my performance tuxedo when I was in the Youth Orchestra of Greater Fort Worth (no tails, otherwise I'd have gone for the satin top hat). Next was a Baileys brown felt fedora I bought in New York City on my senior class trip. This hat is my default hat when I wear a tie/suit; I made sure it was a dark enough brown to go with pretty much any color suit I would ever own. Once I entered college I realized I didn't have any summer hats, so I bought a Stetson straw fedora from Peters Bros. Hats in downtown Fort Worth (they actually make their own, too - I highly recommend stopping by if you're ever in Fort Worth). Unfortunately, the fedora was pretty much for formal occasions only, so I bought an inexpensive straw panama with a moisture-wicking elastic headband for casual wear. This hat doubles as a western-wear hat when I curve the bill appropriately on the sides. I also bought a black suede apple cap that I can pretty much wear whenever, but goes really well with sweaters. And last but not least, I bought a brown leather cowboy hat for my wedding, which can be seen in my wedding photo album on my Cyburbia profile.
    Is a fedora still a fedora if it has an equal length brim on all sides or would that be a different type of hat? I've been looking at getting something like a felt fedora but I don't like the turned up/shortened brim that they generally have in the back.

Ball caps mostly. I do have a straw boater that I break out from time to time, but as it is a 7-1/4 and I wear a 7-3/8, I don't wear it often or for long periods.

What I grew up calling a "beanie" in New Jersey is called a "toboggan" here. A toboggan in New Jersey is a long wooden sled with a curved front used for riding down snow-covered hills. You can imagine my consternation when people asked my why I wasn't wearing my toboggan...

Hat head isn't a problem when you lose your hair.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Is a fedora still a fedora if it has an equal length brim on all sides or would that be a different type of hat? I've been looking at getting something like a felt fedora but I don't like the turned up/shortened brim that they generally have in the back.
    In general, at least when it comes to fedoras/panamas/etc that were popular backwards of 1960 through about the 1920s, a hat was called what it was due to it's crown, not necessarily it's brim. A fedora is distinguished by a lengthwise top pinch crease down the whole of the crown and a pinched front. A panama also has a pinched front, but has more of a definitive shaped crown more like a circular sector (C-crown) rather than a pinched crease the whole length of the crown. My brown fedora mentioned above does not have the stereotypical rear-brim flip. Neither does the one Harrison Ford wore as Indiana Jones. Somewhat off-topic, but Ford wore an actual fedora in the 1980's movies, but in the latest movie he wore a hat with a panama crease. Also, a true "Panama" (uppercase P) is a straw hat made in Ecuador - it was the hat that invented the crease.

Examples:
    fedora - pinch-crease crown
    panama - C-crown
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 02 Feb 2010 at 2:35 PM.

Registered
    May 2004
    oh yeah. That panama example is just what I'm looking for.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Ball caps mostly - various baseball teams, colleges and golf courses. Mrs. P threatens to throw them out because I have quite a few, but they're on the top shelf and she can't reach them.

(now that I said that, she'll just probably use a chair)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I wear a hat everyday - I have a couple tweed flat hats that I wear in the fall/winter and a couple linen ones that I wear in the spring/summer. I've looked at a couple nice fedoras for the cooler months, but I'm a relatively short guy and look about 10 years younger than I am and they just don't look right on me in my eyes.

I wear a ball cap if I am going to a ball game.

If I am outside for an extended period of time (gardening, walk into town) or driving my Jeep with the top down, I wear a bucket cap or a smaller straw Panama hat. I've had a chunk of skin removed from my nose because of melanoma and since I don't like the chemicals in sun block, I make sure to at least have my hat on to cover my nose and ears and lips when I am in the sun.

I've been known to wear a mortarboard on occasion as well.

And I've always wondered if I could pull off a deerstalker (Sherlock Holmes style) or derby hat. Or maybe I could bring back the classic three-point!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The hat I wear most often for daily running around in spring, summer, or fall is my fisherman's cap.

When it's really cold weather and I need to do something like shovel the driveway I don the usual sort of winter hat with ear flaps that lots of people typically wear for winter activities.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    When it's really cold weather and I need to do something like shovel the driveway I don the usual sort of winter hat with ear flaps that lots of people typically wear for winter activities.

Tovarisi!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The (proper) wearing of hats
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 25 Oct 2010, 1:27 AM
  2. Small town: many hats vs. big org,: focused work
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 04 Dec 2008, 3:53 PM