Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Preparing for first year urban planning course

Preparing for first year urban planning course

Hi everyone,

I'm about to start my first year in university, studying geography and urban studies/ urban planning and management.

I was wondering what is the best way to prepare for this course. Should there be information, articles, news or development application I should be reading into prior to the commencement of my university degree? Also, I was wondering what would be the best way to extend my knowledge about urban planning. Are there any good sites related to Australian urban planning?

Your replies will be must helpful

Nah, just show up at class and go with the flow. I'm sure you'll get more than enough reading assignments as to not need anything else.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I can't help you with the Aussie planning sites, but some light reading never hurt anyone. Reading some of the planning classics always gets your mind moving...

Design With Nature
    The Death and Life of Great American Cities

Or more recent books like the other planning site mentions...

http://www.planetizen.com/books/2010
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

I agree, read some of the classics, most of the newer texts in planning are just recycled crap from the older classics... so you should start with David Lynch, Jane Jacobs, Christopher Alexander, Lewis Mumford....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Aug 2013, 1:03 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Feb 2012, 9:47 PM
  3. Is planning right for me? 2nd year undergrad
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Mar 2010, 2:07 PM
  4. Four year planning degree, then an MBA?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Dec 2007, 9:33 AM
  5. Urban Design and 20 - 30 year olds.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 11 Aug 2004, 2:11 PM