Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: America's most drunk cities

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

America's most drunk cities

Really, I'm disappointed in you, Buffalo. With all the corner taverns serving $2 pints of Genesee, the tens of thousands of college students, the 4:00 AM last call, and you're only the 66th drunkest city in the United States. At least you beat Rochester, which is near the bottom of the list of America's most drunk cities.

Who's number one, you might ask? Fresno
    . As if topping the list of meth capitals of the country wasn't enough ... or is that Bakersfield?

I also thought I'd see Albuquerque near the top. It's no coincidence that's Maryland's proposed DUI license plates and Ohio's current "party plates" so closely resemble standard New Mexico license plates, since the state has a reputation for the proliferation and tolerance of drunk driving.

The list, from Men's Health by way of USA Today:

1.) Fresno, CA F
    2.) Reno, NV F
    3.) Billings, MT F
    4.) Riverside, CA F
    5.) Austin, TX F
    6.) St. Louis, MO F
    7.) San Antonio, TX F
    8.) Lubbock, TX F
    9.) Tucson, AZ F
    10.) Bakersfield, CA F
    11.) Las Vegas, NV F
    12.) Modesto, CA F
    13.) Columbia, SC F
    14.) Nashville, TN D-
    15.) Madison, WI D-
    16.) Colorado Springs, CO D-
    17.) Denver, CO D-
    18.) Phoenix, AZ D-
    19.) Cheyenne, WY D-
    20.) Sacramento, CA D-
    21.) New Orleans, LA D-
    22.) Toledo, OH D
    23.) Aurora, CO D
    24.) El Paso, TX D
    25.) Corpus Christi, TX D
    26.) Fargo, ND D
    27.) San Diego, CA D
    28.) Lexington, KY D
    29.) Tampa, FL D
    30.) Albuquerque, NM D
    31.) Oklahoma City, OK D+
    32.) Tulsa, OK D+
    33.) Jacksonville, FL D+
    34.) Detroit, MI D+
    35.) Boise City, ID D+
    36.) Kansas City, MO D+
    37.) Washington, DC D+
    38.) Montgomery, AL D+
    39.) Omaha, NE D+
    40.) Portland, OR D+
    41.) Anchorage, AK D+
    42.) Birmingham, AL D+
    43.) Greensboro, NC C-
    44.) Wichita, KS C-
    45.) St. Petersburg, FL C-
    46.) Burlington, VT C-
    47.) Houston, TX C-
    48.) Los Angeles, CA C-
    49.) Charleston, WV C
    50.) Orlando, FL C
    51.) Spokane, WA C
    52.) Lincoln, NE C
    53.) Arlington, TX C
    54.) Des Moines, IA C
    55.) Fort Worth, TX C
    56.) Providence, RI C
    57.) Anaheim, CA C
    58.) Milwaukee, WI C
    59.) Pittsburgh, PA C
    60.) Baltimore, MD C
    61.) Indianapolis, IN C
    62.) Louisville, KY C
    63.) Raleigh, NC C
    64.) Seattle, WA C+
    65.) Grand Rapids, MI C+
    66.) Buffalo, NY C+
    67.) Wilmington, DE C+
    68.) Hartford, CT C+
    69.) Sioux Falls, SD C+
    70.) Virginia Beach, VA C+
    71.) Memphis, TN C+
    72.) Cincinnati, OH C+
    73.) Cleveland, OH C+
    74.) Charlotte, NC C+
    75.) Oakland, CA C+
    76.) Little Rock, AR B-
    77.) Dallas, TX B-
    78.) Richmond, VA B-
    79.) San Jose, CA B-
    80.) Minneapolis, MN B-
    81.) Jackson, MS B-
    82.) Jersey City, NJ B-
    83.) Columbus, OH B-
    84.) Atlanta, GA B-
    85.) Chicago, IL B
    86.) San Francisco, CA B
    87.) St. Paul, MN B
    88.) Honolulu, HI B
    89.) Philadelphia, PA B+
    90.) Portland, ME B+
    91.) Manchester, NH B+
    92.) Fort Wayne, IN A-
    93.) New York, NY A-
    94.) Durham, NC A
    95.) Newark, NH A
    96.) Miami, FL A
    97.) Salt Lake City, UT A
    98.) Rochester, NY A+
    99.) Yonkers, NY A+
    100.) Boston, MA A+
    The magazine, which will publish the list of 100 major cities in i's March edition, drew upon such data as death rates from alcoholic liver disease, booze-fueled car crashes, frequency of binge-drinking in the past month, number of DUI arrests, and severity of DUI penalties.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm seriously disappointed with that list - Madison, WI is 15th and Milwaukee, WI is only *58th*????

SHEESH!

(hehehehehehe)

Mike

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Wow. I live halfway between #5 and #7!

I'm actually a little surprised at the cities that came in ahead of Austin. Austin has a huge university and the city is covered with hipsters/$30,000 millionaires that go out to clubs every damn night of the week. Also, there are a ton of government employees and, well, I think we've all seen what THEY are like!
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 05 Feb 2010 at 11:54 AM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    What's interesting from perhaps a Cyburbia perspective is how they arrived at their results. They compiled data from car crashes, DUIs and severity of DUI penalties. Given that Boston has a well used mass transit system (perhaps in relative terms, but definitely when compared to say, Fresno), it's no wonder how a Boston would score low while a Fresno (and other towns in the West) would score high.

A conclusion of Boston rating less drunk than Salt Lake should clearly call into question the methodology in obtaining the results. Just another case of East Coast bias.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I'm a little surprised, too, SR. However, if there was a list of not just "drunkest cities", but "not at full mental capacity due to chemical substances cities" (basically drinking + drug usage), Austin would be higher.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Salt Lake City made the top 100 list???? The Mormon capital of the world? Huh???I thought you needed a permit to order a cocktail in SLC, and only then on alternate Tuesdays between Lent and Ramadan!

I'm sorry but that list must be incorrect.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    At least my fair city is not on the list.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Clearly this was limited only to the Top 100 largest metro areas, otherwise I'm pretty sure my town would near the top of the list!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for posting this list. Now I know where all the action is. I have some vacation time coming up... Fresno here I come!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Clearly this was limited only to the Top 100 largest metro areas, otherwise I'm pretty sure my town would near the top of the list!
    Are you sure it is "metros"? Unless my olde eyes are failing me again, I don't see Dayton, OH on the list. Their metro is about a million but the city itself is relatively low pop. Then again, I see some obviously smaller cities. Perhaps they used "largest markets"?

Toledo is number 1 in Ohio. Woo-hoo! And the highest ranking for a city that is on the Great Lakes. Madison is "close" to a Great Lake. But to get from Madison to Milwaukee's lakefront you probably need at least 4 beers.

You have to wonder about the methodologies that are used for all of these lists.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by UrbaneSprawler View post
    What's interesting from perhaps a Cyburbia perspective is how they arrived at their results. They compiled data from car crashes, DUIs and severity of DUI penalties. Given that Boston has a well used mass transit system (perhaps in relative terms, but definitely when compared to say, Fresno), it's no wonder how a Boston would score low while a Fresno (and other towns in the West) would score high.

A conclusion of Boston rating less drunk than Salt Lake should clearly call into question the methodology in obtaining the results. Just another case of East Coast bias.
    Chicago wasn't too high on this list but given the emphasis on drunk driving it makes sense given the transit here and the abundance of cabs.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Methodology is always an issue in these lists. Enforcement of drunk driving laws is not uniform across all jurisdictions, a fact that makes comparisons essentially useless. I remember a few years ago there was a thread reporting that Portland OR had a very high rate of leaking underground storage tanks. The conclusion was "so much for Portland's green cred." But Portland takes LUSTs seriously and has an aggressive program of finding them and fixing them. To compare that with some place that looks the other way on LUSTs makes no sense. The same is true of drunk driving. As pointed out, those pedestrian friendly, transit-oriented communities might be drunker than the auto oriented ones, but they're not capturing the drunk walkers, drunk taxiers, and drunk transiters. And let's not forget that for many of the places high on the list, the only way anyone would be willing to be there is if they were impaired.

Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by UrbaneSprawler View post
    Given that Boston has a well used mass transit system (perhaps in relative terms, but definitely when compared to say, Fresno), it's no wonder how a Boston would score low while a Fresno (and other towns in the West) would score high.

The T (public transit in Boston) shuts down at 12:30 AM. The bars don't close until 2. I always considered this a recipe for drunken disaster and I'm surprised to see the score that it got. Yeah, Boston is a walking city, but not so much if you live 5 miles from downtown on the other side of the harbor (you can't stumble home through the tunnels).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mikeisquixotic View post
    The T (public transit in Boston) shuts down at 12:30 AM. The bars don't close until 2. I always considered this a recipe for drunken disaster and I'm surprised to see the score that it got. Yeah, Boston is a walking city, but not so much if you live 5 miles from downtown on the other side of the harbor (you can't stumble home through the tunnels).
    The plain and simple fact is that fewer people in Boston rely on single-occupant motor vehicles for transportation than almost any other city in the US. This alone makes three of the criteria used to score the cities non-applicable to a large percentage of Boston residents. Drunk-driving crashes and DUIs are not the best factors to use for a city where a large percentage of people to not drive themselves regularly.

Wow. Just a few years ago Milwaukee was the #1 drunkest city in America, now we're 58th... What happened!?
    Urban Milwaukee "Championing Urban Life In The Cream City"
    My Flickr Photos

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 130
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 2:16 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Mar 2011, 4:38 AM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last post: 09 Apr 2006, 9:53 PM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last post: 23 Aug 2005, 10:34 PM