Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: big tobacco

Registered
    Aug 2008

big tobacco

Finally was dragged to see Avatar.

Question: How many dollars did it cost Big Tobacco to get that line about needing a GD smoke + two scenes of Sigourney with a butt hanging off her lip?

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I know the OP was borderline political, but it raised the question of "product placement", which is a not uncommon form of backdoor advertising.

Because big T has been under such a barrage of criticism for its advertising in general, and for its lack of candor under questioning about the addictive properties of its product, I am convinced that industry-wide lobbying money is being offered to moviemakers who will put a cig in the mouth of a character, or insert some dialogue about how great it is to smoke.

Avatar cost over 250 million to make, and I can't imagine its makers being in need of extra financing, but I also cannot imagine a more spurious line and/or scene than the ones I mentioned. On the scale by which this film is financed, hyped, and distributed, I have to think the payoff for the cig scenes was rather high.

I smoked myself for 25 or 30 years, and I felt full well its addictive aspects. I don't remember when or how I quit, but I do know that I did it by myself, and that it only took my realization mentally that I did not need a smoke.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    For all the talk about the damages of smoking why doesn't the government just ban nicotine but keep smoking legal? It seems to me like nicotine is the problem - taking a potentially casual activity to a permanent habit. Cigarettes could be just like cigars.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    For all the talk about the damages of smoking why doesn't the government just ban nicotine but keep smoking legal? It seems to me like nicotine is the problem - taking a potentially casual activity to a permanent habit. Cigarettes could be just like cigars.
    Banning nicotine would help stop people getting hooked, but it wouldn't stop the carcinogenic properties of tobacco. Cigars are worse than Cigarettes in terms of cancer risk, just less people smoke them.

I don't think Big Tobacco has much clout anymore. Most people understand the risks of smoking, and choose to do so knowing what it will end up doing to their lungs, esophagus, and heart. They also pay a HUGE price financially to feed the habit.

I think big Tobacco is now like what Big Oil will be in 40 years.. clutching for some relevance, but really not getting a hold of anything.

ps. Fringe your gif is killing me... lol
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 10 Nov 2014, 9:55 AM
  2. Tobacco Usage
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 22 Oct 2010, 2:44 PM
  3. Tobacco and smoke shops
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 08 Sep 2010, 4:31 PM