Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Advice for the FEMA 8 Step planning process

Registered
    Mar 2005

Advice for the FEMA 8 Step planning process

I am working on an environmental review for a project located in a floodplain. I have done extensive searches about the FEMA 8 step planning process so I could get some better guidance than the simplified process explanation on the FEMA website. Has anyone worked with the FEMA 8 step before? After I publish the first notice, do I have to go through all of the steps if there are no comments?
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Nov 2009

FEMA

Gicarto-
    You are looking at the FEMA 8 Step Planning Process Guide for Floodplains and Wetlands Management?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "if there are no comments". Are you referring to step 2? If so I am assuming you mean that if the public doesn't respond to your notice of a meeting, than you have adequately addressed the 8-step plan.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. I'm not an environmental planner, so to speak, but I do a fair amount of environmental planning when my job calls for it.

The 8-step plan, and FEMA in general, is designed for peer and public review of development projects and mitigation of environmental effects. If FEMA's 8-step plan permitted developers to cease an environmental review process simply because the public did not respond to a public meeting notice, FEMA wouldn't be very effective and all developers would have to do is hold a meeting at a time when very few would be able to attend and use that as evidence that the public didn't care, and thus proceed about their business.

You should double check with your local regulatory agency representatives when unsure. Have you sent out early consultation letters to impacted persons or agencies yet? Or to agencies from which you will need future permitting (e.g. the US Army Corps of Engineers, your local Department of Planning and Permitting, or Environmental Quality Control)?

If you are not referring to step 2, please clarify.

Hope this helps get you moving in the right direction.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Yes I was referring to step 2. Do you have to send the final product of the 8 step process to FEMA for approval? Thanks
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Sorry Gicarto
    That I do not know. Like I said, I just dabble in a little environmental planning, but I practice land-use planning primarily. Perhaps another viewer who does more environmental work could answer this?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Land use map, step by step?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Apr 2010, 6:43 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Feb 2009, 6:55 PM
  3. Kicking off the planning process
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Jun 2006, 11:59 AM