Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: HUD and mobile homes: post-July 1976

Registered
    Jul 2003

HUD and mobile homes: post-July 1976

Does your jurisdiction allow moving and placement of pre-July 1976 mobile homes? Post July meets HUD code whereas earlier one do not. Had an individual inquire about moving an doublewide from another city to the one where I work. I was sure our code addressed this issue but it does not. I must be remembering the code from a previous jurisdiction. According to the building code, the home would obviously not meet code and they (building) think they can say it's not permitted. What say ye?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    This was a HUGE problem in my last job. We deemed that pre 1976 Mobile Homes did not meet HUD standards or building standards and therefore could not be moved. They could be transferred with a property if it was de-titled, it could be moved around on the same property, but it could not be moved off a property unless it was going to the junkyard.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ah yeah.....

We still allow pre-1976 mobiles after they go through an off site safety rehab The state publishes rules for the rehab that is required.

Newer single wide post 1976 mobile homes still don't meet HUD standards, considering the minimum 24' width requirement.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Our state fire marshal's office regulates manufactured home installation, licenses installers, and permits each job. In addition most localities permit and inspect, as well as set age limits on units that can be moved across county lines.

Local building inspection will usually require MEP signoffs as well on units of considerable age.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    One, What is this 24 foot width requirement you speak of?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmm....

Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    One, What is this 24 foot width requirement you speak of?
    Old habits....a local requirement.....I'll get my HUD handbook out from years ago, they did have a 24' width listed.....but I can't find it anywhere online right now....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. July 4, 1976 - Where Were You?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 48
    Last post: 09 Jun 2010, 10:34 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Oct 2007, 10:09 AM
  3. Mobile homes- how to handle them?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 23