Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 241

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2010-2011 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

  1. #26
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally posted by MayorSlay View post
    UT's acceptance letter had rather poor sentence structure and said 2009-2010 not 10-11. Should I be worried?
    Somebody else was saying they got TWO rejection letters, so it sounds like somebody just isn't very good at mail merge. I wouldn't worry.

  2. #27
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally posted by Shakey View post
    Dal has sent out acceptances for students with 3.7+ GPA and once they accept/pass the rest of us will know.
    Thanks, good to know.
    Sorry to hear about UofM; that is not very classy of them!

  3. #28
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally posted by onelittlepiece View post
    Somebody else was saying they got TWO rejection letters, so it sounds like somebody just isn't very good at mail merge. I wouldn't worry.
    That would be me haha...

    I was hoping the second letter would be an acceptance but no cigar!

  4. #29
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally posted by macaulayculkin View post
    Congrats! What kind of funding are they offering? like TA/RAships? I applied to u of t as well but I haven't heard back yet. I hear it has a lot of more theory type courses instead of more hands on so it might not appeal to everyone.
    Anyone else with more comments on UT, because I have heard the same about UBC too. Perhaps most schools are all theory.

    So if you all got into the schools you applied for, which would be your top choice and why? (ignoring money/location)

  5. #30
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    31
    Well factoring in location it would be UBC or Queen's.

    Waterloo is an amazing school, but I'm not sure how the experience would be in the city.

  6. #31
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    6
    My top two schools would be UBC (faculty) although I see today they have a list of Masters students so I guess they have been selected and then McGill (location)

  7. #32
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    31
    Where do you see said list?

  8. #33
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally posted by davidleo View post
    Hi, I was informed about McGill's recommendation on Feb 17 and received the formal confirmation in the mail on the 20th. They only gave me a week to accept their offer with a deposit.

    Any thoughts on McGill's program? it seems to be a little more practical with a lot of emphasis on design but I don't know about their focus on environmental planning. I am interested in both fields.

    I am still waiting to hear back from uoft though (planning and MLA)
    I've posted a few times about McGill here on cyburbia. I'll share my most recent post with you:

    "I'm not in any of these schools, but since I was so determined to go to McGill I found a contact last year who is a first year student there now. They started with 22 students in total, 3 of these in urban design stream. Apparently the urban design stream fell apart this year and the people involved totally got screwed over. One of them left and apparently the other two are potentially leaving."

    The person I contacted is actually very disappointed. They had expectations for the school that turned out very differently when they got there, and a few other classmates share the same frustrations. Apparently the school is also very poor, which makes them have very few faculty that deal with extremely specific topics. There is one very active professor there who is interested in transportation planning, so if you are interested in that it might be the school for you despite the other negatives there.

  9. #34
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally posted by rickers View post
    My top two schools would be UBC (faculty) although I see today they have a list of Masters students so I guess they have been selected and then McGill (location)
    There's a list of new masters students? Where did you see this?

  10. #35
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    45
    http://www.scarp.ubc.ca/people/masters_students

    If you are talking about this masters student list, it has not been updated since last year. These are Masters students from 08/09.

  11. #36
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    6
    Perhaps you are correct....i'm beginning to give up hope and am looking for closure...apologies....

  12. #37
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    toronto, On
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally posted by loladay View post
    I've posted a few times about McGill here on cyburbia. I'll share my most recent post with you:

    "I'm not in any of these schools, but since I was so determined to go to McGill I found a contact last year who is a first year student there now. They started with 22 students in total, 3 of these in urban design stream. Apparently the urban design stream fell apart this year and the people involved totally got screwed over. One of them left and apparently the other two are potentially leaving."

    The person I contacted is actually very disappointed. They had expectations for the school that turned out very differently when they got there, and a few other classmates share the same frustrations. Apparently the school is also very poor, which makes them have very few faculty that deal with extremely specific topics. There is one very active professor there who is interested in transportation planning, so if you are interested in that it might be the school for you despite the other negatives there.
    Before applying to their program this year, one of the features that really attracted my attention was their design concentration.
    I even contacted the department and they suggested that I could submit my portfolio if it was ready by the time of the application deadline but that any decision (on the student accepted to the design stream) would be made only after the first term of studies.
    Now, based on what you heard from other students, I wonder whether they are restructuring this concentration since they still advertise design as one of their main focus.

    I am now a little intrigued. What do you mean about the school being very poor? I would bet anytime on the resources available at McGill and its departments.
    thank you for the info!

  13. #38
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally posted by vxw View post
    Anyone else with more comments on UT, because I have heard the same about UBC too. Perhaps most schools are all theory.

    So if you all got into the schools you applied for, which would be your top choice and why? (ignoring money/location)
    I'm mostly interested in Ryerson because their program focuses on urban revitalization, development and design (which is what I'm interested in) and it also seems more hands on. I also would like to go to U of T because they have a wide variety of specializations to choose and it's an excellent school (but yes, it would be more theory based).

    Also, I mainly just want to live in Toronto....
    Last edited by macaulayculkin; 13 Mar 2010 at 3:43 PM.

  14. #39
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    45
    I want to live in Vancouver, but Ryerson is my #1 choice as well, for all the same reasons you listed above.

    Their program is still evolving since it is fairly new, but it is already becoming well known, not only in Canada, but in the States as well.

  15. #40
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    36
    for everyone who has been accepted by U of T, do all of you have to respond with your decision by today?

    I still haven't heard from them... I hope I'm on a waiting list and hopefully will get in once others reject the offers.

  16. #41
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8
    My Toronto rejection letter arrived today, by snail mail. Boo.

  17. #42
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally posted by onelittlepiece View post
    My Toronto rejection letter arrived today, by snail mail. Boo.
    Sorry about the bad news...

    Did they also send you an email? or just the snail mail?

  18. #43

    Acceptances

    I am applied to: Manitoba, Guelph, Queens, York and Dalhousie. So far I have been accepted to Manitoba, Dalhousie and Guelph. I have not heard from Queens or York. based on what I read I must be on the wait list.
    Congrats on others acceptances and good luck to everyone.
    Last edited by NewUrbanite; 15 Mar 2010 at 11:24 PM.

  19. #44
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally posted by macaulayculkin View post
    Sorry about the bad news...

    Did they also send you an email? or just the snail mail?
    Thanks Macaulay.
    Just the snail mail -- this was the first I'd heard of it. I'm not really surprised, as it was the school I least expected to get into.
    Two left!

    Quote Originally posted by NewUrbanite View post
    I am applied to: Manitoba, Guelph, Queens, York and Dalhousie. So far I have been accepted to Manitoba, Dalhousie and Guelph. I have not hear from Queens or York. based on what i read I must be on the wait list.
    Congrats others acceptances and good luck to everyone.
    Hi NewUrbanite, congratulations on your acceptances! Did you hear from Dalhousie recently? Was it by email?
    Last edited by Gedunker; 26 Apr 2010 at 4:45 PM. Reason: seq. posts

  20. #45
    Quote Originally posted by onelittlepiece View post
    Gaijin, I haven't heard from U of T yet. Another waitlist, perhaps?
    I also applied to Dalhousie and haven't heard anything. Nobody here has mentioned them yet, that I've seen.
    I heard back from Dalhousie and received my letter

    Quote Originally posted by onelittlepiece View post
    Hi NewUrbanite, congratulations on your acceptances! Did you hear from Dalhousie recently? Was it by email?
    Yes, first I received an email and then a letter in the mail.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 26 Apr 2010 at 4:45 PM. Reason: seq. posts

  21. #46
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally posted by davidleo View post
    Before applying to their program this year, one of the features that really attracted my attention was their design concentration.
    I even contacted the department and they suggested that I could submit my portfolio if it was ready by the time of the application deadline but that any decision (on the student accepted to the design stream) would be made only after the first term of studies.
    Now, based on what you heard from other students, I wonder whether they are restructuring this concentration since they still advertise design as one of their main focus.

    I am now a little intrigued. What do you mean about the school being very poor? I would bet anytime on the resources available at McGill and its departments.
    thank you for the info!
    The design stream fell apart because of restructuring. Something to do about how it was changed after the students had accepted but no one told them. When they showed up it wasn't what they expected and so it collapsed.

    I am not sure exactly what they meant by poor either since I also figured McGill is filthy rich. What I took from the email was that funding was low so there isn't much faculty or resources. For some that could be a good thing, but this student made it sound like it was negatively influencing their experience there.

  22. #47
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    36
    Just curious, how old is everyone that is applying for their master`s degree? Are most of you fresh out of undergrad or have you taken time in between to get work experience first?

    I`m 25 but still completing my undergrad because I took a few years off in between 3rd and 4th year to work.

    Still waiting to hear from U of T, Ryerson and Mcgill...

  23. #48
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    45
    I'm 25. Finished my undergrad in 2007, and for the past few years I have worked as a consultant for a development planning firm. My GPA wasn't great for my undergrad, so I am hoping that my international experience will help me land a school.

    Still waiting for Ryerson and UBC.

  24. #49
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    4
    I got accepted to Ryerson last Thursday and they wanted me to accept or decline by this Friday (march 19) so I've already sent the deposit even though I haven't heard back from the other schools I applied to (McGill, Queen's, Dalhousie). It's OK though because Ryerson was my first choice anyway. And, from what I've read on this thread it seems like my chances of getting accepted to the other 3 schools is getting slimmer as time goes on since others have already been accepted.
    I hope I made the right decision in accepting Ryerson's offer! It seems like a great program and it is exciting that it is in Toronto, but it is hard to find honest reviews of the program since it is still new.

  25. #50
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally posted by ChanadalerBong View post
    I got accepted to Ryerson last Thursday and they wanted me to accept or decline by this Friday (march 19) so I've already sent the deposit even though I haven't heard back from the other schools I applied to (McGill, Queen's, Dalhousie). It's OK though because Ryerson was my first choice anyway. And, from what I've read on this thread it seems like my chances of getting accepted to the other 3 schools is getting slimmer as time goes on since others have already been accepted.
    I hope I made the right decision in accepting Ryerson's offer! It seems like a great program and it is exciting that it is in Toronto, but it is hard to find honest reviews of the program since it is still new.

    Congrats on the Ryerson acceptance! It is one of my top choices as well but I haven't heard from them yet. Did you get a letter in the mail or did they email you (or both)? They didn't give you much time to decide, did they!? Just over a week...

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 122
    Last post: 16 Oct 2014, 1:32 PM
  2. Replies: 129
    Last post: 18 Mar 2014, 11:38 PM
  3. Replies: 120
    Last post: 28 Jun 2013, 6:46 PM
  4. Replies: 231
    Last post: 01 Feb 2012, 12:28 AM
  5. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 4:45 PM