Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Please advise on CIP certification

Registered
    Oct 2010

Please advise on CIP certification

Dear Friends,

I am an urban planner with more than 20 years of extensive planning experience in both public and private sector in the Meddle East (Dubai, UAE). I got a permanent residence in Canada and intend to land in November. I am looking forward to be certified by CIP (Canadian Institute of Professional Planners). Please advice me regarding the following:
    1- Considering my planning experience, do I still have to sit for Exam B?
    2- Can my Middle Eastern experience be considered toward fulfilling the required work period?
    3- Is there a specific format for the portfolio?
    4- I understand that there is a special application rout for planners with more than 15 years of experience. Does in apply to me?

Many thanks for you all.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    I'm going through the process now myself and find it utterly baffling and lacking transparency. I'm an American trying to get MCIP status under the AICP/MCIP reciprocity program, as an offshore foreigner (American citizen working in the US on Canadian projects). It's basically a UK-like professional chartership process and can be a bit confusing for us foreigners.

Basically, it comes down to this: first you join the CIP as a provisional member. Until you become resident in Canada (which I don't plan to be), you must apply only to CIP nationally and not a provincial authority. You can do this without any examination or work experience certification or sitting the interview and portfolio sequence. Just give them what they ask for on your academic degrees, fill out the form and send them your credit card info. Next, they give you (clear and comprehensible) information for full certified membership. Their board will determine and notify you about specific requirements, which exam track, what interview, what kind of work log you have to keep, and what kind of portfolio, etc, based on whatever you submit AFTER you've already become provisional. Nothing you submit prior to provisional status counts - the application clock starts after you get provisional status, so don't do any extra paperwork or send them stuff on past work experience, etc. They won't actually look at it until they specifically ask you to send it. So, basically, ignore everything on the website other than the instructions for applying for provisional status. Then, once you finish that process, ask for detailed instructions, which they will send you (but which you are not apparently allowed to get before you pass the first hurdle), as to what your pathway is for the next step.

You do have to validate your schooling, depending on the school and country (unless you have your AICP or UK, NZ and Australia equivalent and/or a degree from a US PAB-accredited school.. planning is actually covered by NAFTA as a priority exchange area). If not, you will need to get your academic credentials validated by a third party agency in Canada like IQAS or CICIC and attach the validation letter with your provisional application. I did not have to do this (AICP and PAB degree), but instructions are on the second page of the provisional membership form.
    Last edited by Cismontane; 04 Oct 2010 at 3:37 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Mnay thanks Cismontane. It is very informative.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I think Cismontane covered pretty much everything you need to know - apply for a provisional membership as soon as you can and start the process. Finding a planning job may be difficult, but not impossible. Your middle east experience probably won't count for a lot, unfortunately.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 May 2009, 4:40 PM
  2. Hello, need advise.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 May 2009, 6:35 PM
  3. GISers, please advise.
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 Feb 2007, 5:20 PM