Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think the unemployment rate among planners is?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0% - 2.4%

0 0%
  • 2.5% - 4.9%

2 3.45%
  • 5.0% - 7.4%

2 3.45%
  • 7.5% - 9.9%

6 10.34%
  • 10.0% - 12.4%

9 15.52%
  • 12.5% - 14.9%

6 10.34%
  • 15.0% - 17.4%

15 25.86%
  • 17.5% - 19.9%

6 10.34%
  • 20.0% - 24.9%

4 6.90%
  • 25.0% - 29.9%

4 6.90%
  • More than 30%

4 6.90%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Unemployment rate among planners: your guess?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JimPlans View post
    .......Sometimes statistics aren't fun.
    Fascinating stuff, JP. Your friends and family call you a "nerd," right? Do your parents know about this affliction?

Seriously, some very good research.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I definitely think unemployment for planners is higher than the general population. Just look at that relative job graph from indeed.com. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better: local government in many places has only been hit hard recently because of how long it takes tax revenues to trickle down; many, many projects have been already permitted and are waiting in the wings to be built, when the economy improves-- the planning for these projects has already been done; housing demand will be in the toilet until the foreclosure crisis finally burns itself out; and of course the real estate market itself needs to improve before demand for planners improves.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    I am a current planning student in my third year, I have just started working (a casual position) with a private firm after about 8 months job hunting, actively networking and doing a spot here and there of short term contract work with a council and work experience.

Even in a city like Perth with mostly avoided the main impact of the GFC and is quite prosperous, jobs for planners, especially current students or recent undergrads are still quite short. I know many recent grads who have moved overseas for an extended holiday or have been forced to travel over two hours each way by car to work at some fringe towns near Perth- obviously not ideal for a profession which seeks to avoid excessive transit time in private vehicles!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007

planning unemployment rates

Basically, if you work in the private sector, in careers relating to the built envirnoment, you're experiencing much pain now. It doesn't matter whether you're a developer, sales, contractor, building engineer, planner or architect.

AIA estimates unemployment among architects to be 30-40%. I would think that unemployment among planner would be lower than that extreme, because municipalities and government are doing slightly less badly than the private sector clients who tend to hire architecture, but, still, unemployment will still be high relative to the economy as a whole.

Registered
    Jun 2010
    This begs the question...where is viable place for us to look outside of planning?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by rover View post
    This begs the question...where is viable place for us to look outside of planning?
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39036

I addressed a similar question last Fall, although it was more specific related to my personal situation (4 years, AICP, laid off, etc.). Surprisingly I earned a job offer only a month later in planning.

To answer your question, come up with a list of all the different job skills, especially transferrable skills. The Occupational Outlook Handbook is one resource that gives summaries on over 600 occupations, although there really isn't a guide to how to use it.

I mentioned in that thread that even if you DO manage to earn an interview in a completely-unrelated field, you are probably going to have some difficulty explaining HOW your planning education relates to the job AND how you can do the job better than anyone else. This is much more difficult when the interviewer is very unlikely to know anything about planning. It might mean going back to school in a different field. Despite the many different types of skills that can be used in other professions, it is an employers market in this awful recession so you really have to sell yourself even harder than you would in a planning interview.

Hope this helps-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Also for AICP you can get a quarterly exemption from Continuing Education reporting.
    curious if anyone would care to venture a guess as to what the unemployment rate for AICPs is...

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 54
    Last post: 23 Aug 2010, 1:49 PM
  2. Unemployment (Views From Both Sides)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 06 Jul 2010, 3:40 PM
  3. Unemployment article in The Atlantic
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 26