Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Before holidays

Registered
    Feb 2004

Before holidays

Ah, the calm before the storm.....or is it the storm before the calm? It's hard to say where holidays are concerned. On the one hand, we occasionally get a frantic applicant or two trying to 'get in under the wire' and resolve whatever the heck they need to resolve a few hours before the office closes for long weekends/holidays. On the other hand, it seems like more and more these days people get a 'head start' on long weekends by taking off the Friday before so 3-day holidays become 4-day holidays. This means, of course folks are already packing up and heading out of town, as opposed to spending time in one's office conducting business.

How do the days before holidays usually go with you?

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Normally slow, but since it's been raining a lot people like to stop by. They have nothing better to do I guess.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The day or two before holidays are always quiet in our office with a lot of people off of work. I think it helps that we aren't a permit issuing entity so there is no last minute rush. I'd bet that at least half of the 300 or so people who work in my office building will be off today (yesterday was pretty quiet here too). The county-wide schools administration office building is across the street and, while they are open today, their parking lot will be absolutely empty.

The county clerk, treasurer, and courts are on the other side of our complex and they will be packed today. Based on past holiday weekends, there was probably a line of 300+ people waiting to get into the building when they opened to the public this morning. It seems there is always a rush of folks getting marriage licenses before the holidays as well as those looking to pay off whatever tax or court bill they might owe and want to get it off their plate before the holidays if they can.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    New job, new rules, I guess. Here it's been quiet all week. But the boss has also been on vaca so I guess that's what we do when the boss is on vaca.

It's been nice.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    it seems like more and more these days people get a 'head start' on long weekends by taking off the Friday before so 3-day holidays become 4-day holidays.
    Is this just me, or can others corroborate? My impression is that employees getting a head start on long weekends is up maybe 25% from, say 30 years ago. I say this speaking as the one who almost always works right up to the holiday.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Is this just me, or can others corroborate? My impression is that employees getting a head start on long weekends is up maybe 25% from, say 30 years ago. I say this speaking as the one who almost always works right up to the holiday.
    Five are getting a head start on the weekend, and a couple of them are working from home. One has been off most of the week, and gets married tomorrow. I'm heading out for inspections around lunchtime, and will end my day pretty darn close to home. And it's just 10:00. Time is dragging.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Half the office is out. I'm leaving at noon.

It's nice and quiet, so I'm getting some work done. Already crossed a couple things off the list. Since it's quiet, I can concentrate on the tasks that require it, rather than darting from project to task and back again.

Will be the same on Tuesday, I think. A couple people will still be out, and I'm coming in late.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised if it occurs more frequently now. I've seen reports from various HR organizations that employees are less likely to use big blocks of vacation/personal time now than they were 20 or 30 years ago (probably out of fear of not having a job to come back to since there doesn't seem to be nearly the same level of loyalty these days as there used to be) so perhaps using an extra day or or two of vacation time around each holiday through the spring, summer, and fall works well for them.

I think it's also industry and geography specific. Around here, the manufacturers will be working right up until the last minute before shutting down for the long weekend (don't try getting anywhere fast on I-75 headed north from Detroit after about 5:00 tonight as you will be stuck in a slow moving, 100 mile long stream of RVs and trucks with boats and other toys heading Up North) but those in other industries or workplaces where they are not constantly working to meet a specific deadline are more likely to already be off right now. Correspondingly, around here the vast majority of the manufacturers and engineering shops will shut down for a week or two in the middle of July while they re-tool for new products so those types of workers might not be taking the extra day now but they still take a big chunk off later in the year all at once.

FWIW, when my wife worked in corporate accounting, she always had to work right up until the last minute before the holidays. She handled a corporation's cash flow and overnight loans and if the banks and markets were open, she had to be there. The only time she bothered to take vacation was when she had a reason to take at least 4 or 5 days all at once. However, when she worked in public accounting, as long as it wasn't tax season, she was able to schedule her appointments so that she would have nothing on the days around Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day so she could take extra long weekends. I have quite a few friends in public accounting and this seems to be the norm in their world.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    We have a couple of people out. I was going to try to do this for the 4th of July weekend, but the wife can't get that day off... so I will save vacation time and I too will be at work that day.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Rating the holidays
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 16 Oct 2011, 5:18 PM
  2. Happy Holidays!
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Dec 2009, 4:49 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Sep 2009, 4:37 PM