Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Popeye cartoons

Feb 2004
    on my 15 minute break

Popeye cartoons

Popeye was part of our regular tv line-up during childhood. I hadn't watched a Popeye cartoon in probably at least a quarter of a century, but I saw three of them yesterday, as I was attempting to educate Junior in some of the finer cultural aspects of our society. Boy, my memory of that show must have faded. I was surprised with how gratuitously violent the show seemed compared to today's children's fare. A typical episode of Popeye might play out the following way: Popeye offers to do something nice for his girlfriend Olive Oyl. Rival, Brutus (or Bluto, depending on the year it was made), proceeds to attempt to sway Olive Oyl's affections towards him, and in the process usually commits some violent act (e.g. kick off a cliff, punch in the face, or seal him in barrel headed over Niagara Falls) to remove competitor, Popeye, from the picture. After getting his ass kicked, Popeye hears Olive Oyl in the distance calling out in distress because of Brutus' attempts to sexually assault her (typically in the form of an unwanted kiss). Popeye then consumes a can of spinach, his biceps display newly-found strength in some comical and amusing way, and the sailor proceeds to smack the snot out of Brutus. The end.

This is what passed for good entertainment a couple generations ago. While it might seem on the surface we've acquired greater sophistication since that time, I'm sure us humans are still pathetically simple creatures at heart and our inherently moronic character has merely found different ways for our simplicity to manifest (e.g. WWE wrestling, Angry Birds, or reality tv)

When was the last time you watched a Popeye episode?
    Millennials: what is your take on Popeye cartoons? (presupposing you've actually watched any Popeye episodes made before 1970)

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Dec 2005
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Blog entries
    I used to watch Popeye and Tom & Jerry when I was little. Bella has given a hard pass on all older cartoons except for Looney Toons and Scooby Doo. When I downloaded some Loony Toons episodes for her it came with a warning "The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices commonplace in American society. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. While the following does not represent Warner Bros. view of today's society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do so otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed."

Bella watches some cartoons like PJ Masks, Powerpuff Girls, Teen Titans Go, Horrid Henry, and the Amazing World of Gumball but she pretty much watches everything on her iPad, on demand. Also they love watching videos on Youtube of other little kids playing with toys or video games. These kids won't ever have the experience of getting up early on Saturday, making yourself a bowl of cereal, and sitting down to watch the morning cartoons.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Aug 2001
    Western Pennsylvania
    I watched Popeye, Tom and Jerry, Looney Toons and similar cartoons. The things is, we watched them when they aired, then played hard the rest of the day. We watched cowboy shows, too, which had a fair share of guns and shooting, and we played cowboys with friends.

Sure it was violent and sexist, but we had sense enough not to recreate those things.

Jan 2009
    Remote command post at local bar
    Sure I watched Popeye and all the other misogynistic, racist old cartoons. I just never thought of it that way. The kids have a DVD of all the old cartoons. It has Popeye and I can't remember what else. The oldest used to love that show.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Oct 2010, 8:29 PM
  2. Fun cartoons!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Jul 2004, 8:19 AM
  3. I love cartoons!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Mar 2003, 11:07 PM