Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 49 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another Music Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Just Another Music Thread

OK, so this Bear is stuck in his den, still somewhat gasping for air when I walk across the room, living life on the edge of the couch, remote in hand, letting the stem cells slowly rebuild an immune system that is registering "empty".

My fuel is TV......cable shows, old movies.....and, so important to an old cat who digs music from all decades and all participants, music videos.

My cable system has about a dozen different music video channels. The one (1) I spend the most time with is VH1-Classic. I especially like the vids from the 1960's and 1970's.

OK, young'ens......we didn't have music videos back then. But, some acts were recorded, perhaps via an old TV show show as Hootenany or bad black and white film clips. Some of the vids they present are classic.....such as Eric Burdon and the Animals doing "House Of The Rising Sun" or a very-very young group of brothers' Gibb (The Bee Gees) doing "Massachusets". Neato stuff for a sheltered life oldster.

They also present some of the older bands, back on tour again, playing their older stuff. Great example, Allman Brothers rejuvinated, doing a kick-ass version of "Whipping Post". I crank my tube ( ), much to Katie's despair.

(She didn't mind REO or Journey being cranked, though. We really are generational products.)

When not tuned to VH1-Classic I drift toward VH1-Mega Hits. Some of today's bands are pretty decent.

Bear With Lysoled Remote
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Jh

Hendrix at Berkley is pretty good. Not quite what I remember it. Trouble is, there's a lot about it from when I first saw it in the 70's that I, eh..don't recall. But it's good.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The Beatles were pioneers in the music video genre back in the 60's. I think Help!, for instance, is nothing more than an hour long series of videos featuring the Fab Four getting chased by rabid female fans. And let's not forget that the Monkees used to regularly integrate a 'music video' into every episode, too.
    I can't think of the name of the club but they used to film alot of their acts and you can still see clips of Yardbirds, Animals, Vanilla Fudge from time to time. Usually theyre included in documentaries or band retrospectives, but folks with cable tv are probably more knowlegable than I about where to see these things.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    I mentioned the Allman Brothers doing "Whipping Post" in a video. Wrapped around the microphone stand of the lead singer (Greg Allman) was a flag from the old south (Confederate).

I wonder if there are people who are upset with that?

IMHO, back in the Civil War, the Confed flag DID represent (or "hint" to represent) racism. IMHO, the Confed flag NOW represents a "pride" in the south.....perhaps a knee-jerk reaction to all of us who have over-the-years bashed the south.

Bottom-line.....the flag doesn't bother me. If it would, change the channel.

Bear's Gonna Do It Again
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    One (1) of my all-time fave tunes is Sinead O'Connor's version (of the Prince tune) "Nothing Compares 2 U". Watching the video, even though she was nearly bald, she is (was) a very pretty woman.

She is (and continues to be) a "space cadet"......lost somewhere.

Nothing Compares To Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    Watching VH1 Classic again on Friday night. They had a concert with Foghat doing the rock and roll. It was good!

I always liked Foghat. Katie was watching and didn't remember the first couple of songs. (She was a teenager in the 1970's, she should have!) I mentioned to her that Foghat did "Slow Ride". She said, "Oh, I love that song!" Go figure.

These cats are either my age (1948 child) or older. The lead singer was actually in the old British blues group, Savoy Brown. Many years ago I had a Savoy Brown vinyl album. Not sure which wife got that one (1).

Slightly-on-topic.....

Does anybody recall seeing rock and roll genealogy charts? I have seen a few in my days, including a huge chart that was included in the Yes big box set. Yes is a good group to have a family tree chart.....there were about ten (10) different versions of Yes. Folks who played in Yes also played in King Crimson, Asia, The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, The Nice, Genesis, The Moody Blues, Emerson-Lake-Palmer, and others.

The above example is just Yes. There are so many others from all of the rock and roll eras.

Bear Is A Fool For The City
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    One 1960s piece that got LOTS of play at a then cutting edge video/dance nightclub here in Appleton that I frequented when it was open back in the late 1980s/early 1990s was a video version of Nancy Sinatra's These Boots Were Made For Walking. They got constant requests for that one.

Mike

Registered
    May 2003

A Couple Random Music Thoughts And Notes

RMTAN # 1
    The lead singer of the cool 1960's hit "Judy In Disguise (With Glasses)" died over the weekend. His band name was John Fred and the Playboy Band. His full name was John Gourrier. If I remember correctly, at least one (1) of his band members went on to play in YES for awhile.

RMTAN # 2
    Does anybody recall the version of "Pictures At An Exhibition" done by Emerson, Lake & Palmer? I have that on vinyl. I like the classical versions and I have at least two (2) different vinyls (Berlin Philharmonic and Philly, I think). But the prog-rock version by ELP is fun, too.

Bear At The Gates Of Kiev
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    On Friday late afternoon I was waiting for Katie to get ready, so we could go out on the town. While waiting I flipped on my favorite cable music channel, VH1 Classic. They were just starting a "Headline Act" block, with Kansas in the spotlight.

I liked Kansas when they arrived on the scene......probably about 1980. I bought a bunch of their vinyl......I still have them. I also bought their first box set. When you watch them play and really give it a good "ear"......they had great harmonies, some good individual musicians, and came across as very tight, very good, in their live performances. I especially liked the violin.....they were one (1) of the first to use violin in rock and roll.

The live version of "Carry On My Wayward Son" is outstanding. Oddly enough, I have never been a great fan of "Dust On The Wind". I always enjoyed playing "Death Of Mother Nature Suite" very loud.

Good band. I have work to do out in the garage today. Kansas is going with me.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Kings Of Leon

I sent for a Kings Of Leon CD this weekend. Need to broaden my perspective.

Slightly-on-topic.....

Anybody remember the group "It's A Beautiful Day"? They did a couple good albums back in the late 1960's, early 1970's. A song that did get a lot of airplay (by IABD) was "White Bird". Good tune.

San Francisco band, I would guess, judging by their looks and their music.

Bear's Creed Of Love
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    RMTAN # 1
    The lead singer of the cool 1960's hit "Judy In Disguise (With Glasses)" died over the weekend. His band name was John Fred and the Playboy Band. His full name was John Gourrier. If I remember correctly, at least one (1) of his band members went on to play in YES for awhile.
    Bear At The Gates Of Kiev
    Who ?
    ANDREW BERNARD bari-sax
    RONNIE GOODSON trumpet
    CHARLIE SPINOSA trumpet
    JIMMY O' ROURKE guitar
    HAROLD COWART bass
    TOMMY DEGENERES organ
    JOE MICELI percussion
    HAL ELLIS guitar
    BILLY JOHNSON bass
    LESTER DODGE drums
    http://home.att.net/~bubblegumusic/fred.htm

RMTAN # 2
    Does anybody recall the version of "Pictures At An Exhibition" done by Emerson, Lake & Palmer? I have that on vinyl.
    I did too, but you are not surprised are you.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Who ?
    ANDREW BERNARD bari-sax
    RONNIE GOODSON trumpet
    CHARLIE SPINOSA trumpet
    JIMMY O' ROURKE guitar
    HAROLD COWART bass
    TOMMY DEGENERES organ
    JOE MICELI percussion
    HAL ELLIS guitar
    BILLY JOHNSON bass
    LESTER DODGE drums
    http://home.att.net/~bubblegumusic/fred.htm
    None of those names looks familiar. Now I am not so sure. Of course, I wasn't too sure before. Maybe I am confusing Yes with another prog band from that time, If. Most of If's guys went on to jazz careers.

Dang, I killed too many brain cells. think I'll go have a beer and ponder that awhile.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Oh, I love old music videos. Ever watch that "Legends" infomercial hosted by that guy from The Who. Lots of classic footage of 60s/70s bands.

But what I dig most is 1980s rock bands...Aerosmith, Van Halen, GN'R, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard...so much that I spend money on their old music video collections. I have both live DVDs and tapes as well as the regular music videos. They are great. Man, do I wish I was older back then...there were some of the best bands, movies, TV shows ever.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2003

The Latest Stack Of CD's At My Desk

Justr brought home a bunch of music CD's from the office. Then, this morning I grabbed a new stack and took them in. Good listening for those times I need to stay in the office and plan how I am going to take over the world......or least how I plan to change a machine layout or something.....

Rainy Day Music - The Jayhawks
    Bat Out Of Hell II - Meat Loaf
    Tribute To Curtis Mayfield - Various Artists
    Ripe Tomatos - Little Feat
    Across A Wire - (Live) Counting Crows
    Swing - Manhattan Transfer
    30th Anniversary Bob Dylan Tribute Concert - Various Artists
    Capitol Re-issues - Beatles (First four Capitol releases....finally!)
    Arch-Allies Live Concert - Styx & REO Speedwagon
    Before These Crowded Streets - Dave Matthews Band

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

If you like the Jayhawks, Bear, you should listen to "Hollywood Town Hall" (that is if you already haven't). For me it is one of those albums that never gets old. I remember exactly when and where I was when I heard it all the way through the first time and it is never far from my CD player even nearly 13 years later.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Margin Walker
    If you like the Jayhawks, Bear, you should listen to "Hollywood Town Hall" (that is if you already haven't). For me it is one of those albums that never gets old. I remember exactly when and where I was when I heard it all the way through the first time and it is never far from my CD player even nearly 13 years later.
    Margin Walker.....I have seen the CD on internet listings but haven't forked over the cash to bring it on home. Based on your recommendation, it is now on my "must buy" list. Thanx!

Speaking of music that is never far from a CD player.....

I was kinda down in the dumps on Saturday. Probably just a little tired. I had to drive to Bowling Green (to the bike shop!) and I grabbed my Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention CD, "Fillmore East - June, 1971". From the first chord, instant "good mood". What a great CD!

Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan were originally members of The Turtles, a very popular pop machine from the mid-1960's. You young'ns have heard their music, you just didn't know who it was:

"Imagine me an you, I do....so happy together....."

They joined Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention. This live performance from 1971 captures the spirit of Frank Zappa.....great guitar licks, weird electric sounds (Don Preston on Moog), and insane and ribald lyrics. This concert attacks "groupies" and "pop music" like nothing ever heard before. It may seem tame today.....but in that time and place.....our socks were knocked off!

"We are NOT groupies!"
    "I told Robert Planet...."
    "Would I lie to you, just to get in your pants?"
    "Ever been to a Holiday Inn?"
    "Mud Shark....do the mud shark baby....."
    "Not until I hear the big hit record.....with the BULLET!"

I strongly recommend that you put on your headphones and listen to this album. It will put you in a great mood.

Bear & The Lonesome Electric Turkey
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Margin Walker.....I have seen the CD on internet listings but haven't forked over the cash to bring it on home. Based on your recommendation, it is now on my "must buy" list. Thanx!
    I don't think you will be disappointed. You will see immediately where Rainy Day Music came from. If you like it, look for "Blue Earth" their first album.

Mark Olson has continued to put out work similar to Hollywood Town Hall since he left the band, recording lots of stuff with Victoria Williams and some other musicians as Mark Olson and the Original Harmony Creek Dippers.

Registered
    May 2003

Another Stack Of CD's At My Desk

This morning I grabbed another tall stack of CD's, to take in to the office on Monday morning. Usually I can listen for the first hour or so, until all the soldiers start arriving and the fire-fighting begins. As I have said before, I don't usually take anything really hard into the office, because I can't do the tunes justice when playing at a low volume. Here's the latest stack.....

How Long Has This Been Going On - Van Morrison (With Georgie Fame & Others)
    Top Ten Hits - Elvis
    Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette
    Test For Echo - Rush
    Keep It Like A Secret - Built To Spill
    Blind Faith - Blind Faith
    Supernatural - Santana (& Others)
    Open Your Eyes - Yes
    Pictures At An Exhibition - Slovak Philharmonic
    Deer Hunter - Soundtrack From The Movie "Deer Hunter"
    Best Of - Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks
    Reveal - R.E.M.

What's in your latest stack?

Bear Rushes Blindly To Pull Trigger At Gates Of Kiev
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    What's in your latest stack?
    Youth - Collective Soul
    In Your Honor - Foo Fighters
    Parachutes - Coldplay
    X&Y - Coldplay

Registered
    Sep 1999
    sisterceleste made me listen to a CD of Hawaiian songs on the way to the FL APA conference. Um...but I don't think I'll be purchasing that....

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I checked what I don't have at home, so they better be at work.

The Radiators from Space, Live in London 1978 (later studio tracks, bonus)
    Brave Combo, The Process (recommended for Bear)
    Lee Wiley (forgot title, it's a compilation though) 1940's torch singer
    Rockabilly Essentials (compilation)
    Davie Allen and the Arrows (compilation with Cycle-delic on it)

Registered
    May 2003
    safege.....I listened to some small cuts (CD Now) from The Process. Very interesting and I will probably follow-up. You obviously figured out my "taste". (Some would say, "No taste.".....but what do they know? )

I heard that Brian Setzer dumped his big band for his latest CD effort and is releasing another rockabilly disc. Perhaps going back to Stray Cat roots?
    _____

At CD Now I was reading the reviews of Chicago's first two (2) albums, released in 1969 and 1970. Every review gives outstanding marks to the rock and roll horn band from the Windy City.....and especially guitarist Terry Kath (who died in the mid-1970's).

These reviews say the same thing that I have been trying to tell you music geeks.....IGNORE all of Chicago's pop stuff, that started around 1972. Listen to the first two (2) albums. Play them loud. You will be amazed at the tightness, the incredible blend of guitar rock with horns, piano,. and drums.....the precision stick work of Danny Seraphine on drums.....the vocal harmonies of three (3) lead singers. Critics at that time referred to Blood, Sweat & Tears as a horn band that played some rock and Chicago a rock band that played some horn. Do not listen to anything other than the first two (2)......they slipped into pop after that.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by safege
    I checked what I don't have at home, so they better be at work.

The Radiators from Space, Live in London 1978 (later studio tracks, bonus)
    Brave Combo, The Process (recommended for Bear)
    Lee Wiley (forgot title, it's a compilation though) 1940's torch singer
    Rockabilly Essentials (compilation)
    Davie Allen and the Arrows (compilation with Cycle-delic on it)

Safege, excuse my ignorance but are the Radiators an Irish band? Bear, hope you like the Kings of Leon (is it Aha Shake Heartbreak?). I saw them live a few weeks ago and they certainly exuded attitude. It would almost inspire me to put on sterility inducing tight jeans and a dont-give-a-s**t attitude.

New Cds.
    The Roots-Things fall apart (a few years old now but worth the purchase)
    Super Furry Animals-The singles collection.
    Sufjan Stevens-Come on feel the Illinois. (Excellent-I highly rate it).
    Nouvelle Vague (the album just appears to be called Nouvelle Vague as well. Its an album of covers but done in a bossa-nova lounge style. 5 stars.)

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Boru
    New Cds.
    The Roots-Things fall apart (a few years old now but worth the purchase.)
    That is their best album in my opinion.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I picked up U2's Greatest Hits (1980-1990) and Joss Stone The Soul Sessions the other day.

I have always liked U2, but never bought an album. They are pretty popular, but their songs are good. I like the CD a lot.

As for Joss Stone... well, someone who looks that good and sings like that... I don't have to say any more...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 49 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Christmas Music Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 74
    Last post: 11 Jul 2010, 8:44 AM
  2. The Random Music Thoughts Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Nov 2004, 10:04 PM