Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 189 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Whats the deal with that guy anyways? Always crying, always orange. A giant weeping orange Boehner?
    When he's mad, is he a raging Boehner?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Whats the deal with that guy anyways? Always crying, always orange. A giant weeping orange Boehner?
    The crying thing is kind of getting old honestly. And he tans. Which is why I think he is against the healthcare bill... the extra taxes he pays to kill himself just put him off the deep end... Well maybe he has some other reasons too, but I would imagine that is a major one.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    So the newly elected republican representative from Minnesota (I think) Ms. Bachmann is on the airways saying the president's trip to India will cost $200 million a day and have 34 warships for security detail. The White House, Pentagon and several others say this number is ridiculous. But since she has spouted this dribble on tv many people will take it as the truth.

Why can't we hold some of these people responsible for lying to the public?!?!? Oh silly me, that's what they do...lie...it's part of being elected.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

I notice now that the much despised "Obamacare" we heard so much about so often during the run-up to the election is now the Health Spending Bill. (See, for example, Ditch McConnell {R-KY} at Heritage Foundation yesterday.)

"All the voyeurs and the lawyers who can pull a fountain pen,
    and put you where they choose,
    with the language that they use,
    and enslave till you work your youth away,
    Oh, god, how I worked my youth away..."
    (Buffalo Bill's Lament. D. McLean)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    So the newly elected republican representative from Minnesota (I think) Ms. Bachmann is on the airways saying the president's trip to India will cost $200 million a day and have 34 warships for security detail. The White House, Pentagon and several others say this number is ridiculous. But since she has spouted this dribble on tv many people will take it as the truth.

Why can't we hold some of these people responsible for lying to the public?!?!? Oh silly me, that's what they do...lie...it's part of being elected.
    I think this is amazing because they White House is saying that the cost is comparable to when Bush or Clinton went overseas. Do we want our President to just stay in the White House? It seems that she is saying a Republican or more likely a Tea Party President wouldn't WASTE money like that. I call Bull$h!t.

=================

On another topic I enjoyed this piece, from Fox News?!.... http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/...l-angle-marco/
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear's take on the election.....

1. It was no more of a mandate than Obama's election was. The facts are, millions of folks who voted in 2008 did not go to the polls in 2010.

2. It is not a sure thing that this impressive series of election wins will lead to a Republican in the White House because of the 2012 election. There is a strong possibility that those non-voters will return to the polls the next time around.

3. Tea Party wins strengthened Sarah Palin's position. She has rabid fans....but those fans could cause trouble in Red Land, especially if unwilling to compromise. Other prominent Rs still poll ahead of Obama if the race was held today. Those others include Romney, Huckabee, and Pawlenty. Palin polls well behind Obama.

4. If I was a Blue Democrat I would be more worried about the upcoming re-districting that will occur after the census results are released. Gerry-mandering will certainly convert some states from Blue to Red (come election time).

5. Florida's Rubio will make a splash. He will grab enough Latino votes to turn Florida Red (electoral votes, baby!). And he is a future superstar.

6. On a personal note: This election cycle really upset me. Lies and distortions on both sides. Disgusting.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What says the throbbing brian about "non-partisan" news anchor people donating to political candidates? Keith Olbermann is the latest, and he was slapped on the wrist by MSNBC. Media Matters found that 30 Fox News anchors have done it.

Should our news anchors be donating? Once they accept a job, are they giving up their personal rights to support a candidate? No anchor is really non-partisan. But is donating to a campaign too far? What say you?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    What says the throbbing brian about "non-partisan" news anchor people donating to political candidates? Keith Olbermann is the latest, and he was slapped on the wrist by MSNBC. Media Matters found that 30 Fox News anchors have done it.

Should our news anchors be donating? Once they accept a job, are they giving up their personal rights to support a candidate? No anchor is really non-partisan. But is donating to a campaign too far? What say you?
    I don't think news anchors should be donating, and MSNBC is wise to have a policy in place to prevent it. That being said, I don't think Keith Olbermann or most of the Fox News people are news anchors - I'd call them commentators or some new title like "editorial broadcasters". In that regard, MSNBC should revise their ethics standards, since Mr. Olbermann shouldn't have been disciplined for his actions, IMO. He's not a news anchor and he donated with his personal resources, not MSNBC's.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

I think the rules are changing as the media we get our news from is changing.

Olbermann was quite open about being democratic and liberal. So the fact he donated was kind of moot. Being an news anchor does not remove your right to politically participate in your country.

New rules will hammer themselves out sooner or later.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I don't think news anchors should be donating, and MSNBC is wise to have a policy in place to prevent it. That being said, I don't think Keith Olbermann or most of the Fox News people are news anchors - I'd call them commentators or some new title like "editorial broadcasters". In that regard, MSNBC should revise their ethics standards, since Mr. Olbermann shouldn't have been disciplined for his actions, IMO. He's not a news anchor and he donated with his personal resources, not MSNBC's.
    I agree. I looked at that list of Fox News people, and most of them were "contributors" like current/former politicians (Gingrich, Palin, Huckabee, Santorum) and leaders of the conservative movement (Ingraham, Malkin, Kristol, etc.). True, Glen Beck and Hannity were on there, but I put them in the same category as Olbermann, all being hosts of opinion shows.

I did not see any true news anchors on that list though...Chris Wallace, Shepard Smith, Megyn Kelly, Greta Van Susteren, Bill Hemmer, Martha Macallum, etc.

Regardless, I think people should be free to do what they want, but for an actual news anchor or journalist to donate money like the people I just listed, I think they should be discouraged from donating. Ulitmately, it should be up to the journalist and the news organization they work for. The viewing public can then judge accordingly.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have a few political podcasts that I listen to on my iPod in my car or office each week. My top three favorites are KCRW's Left, Right & Center, NPR's It's All Politics, and Slate Magazine's Political Gabfest.

Left, Right & Center is the most "high-minded" of the three listed and is the only radio show I have found with knowledgeable regular panelists that covers actual policy without spending too much time on them. It's All Politics has the two best hosts of any political talk show I've found - you can tell that they absolutely love talking politics and especially elections and they both seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of all things politics post WWII. They even get down to some pretty local level races and issues which are always pretty interesting.

The Slate Political Gabfest has the same format as LR&C but with a much more humorous tone. This week, they will be recording live at the law school at the University of Michigan and I will definitely be there. It should be pretty interesting to see one of these taped live (but I have a feeling that it will actually be pretty darn boring in person).

I think I'm most excited though because this will give me an opportunity to hit up Zingerman's Deli which I haven't been to in months.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I think I'm most excited though because this will give me an opportunity to hit up Zingerman's Deli which I haven't been to in months.
    Off-topic:
    Overpriced, but so good. I love their cheese selection.

Registered
    May 2005
    I've suddenly entered the realm of podcasts myself. Those rec's look intriguing, WSU MUP Student and I will check them out.

My big area of inquiry lately is economics and I can't say enough great things about NPR's Planet Money. I'm not talking about the 2 minute spot they do on another NPR show, but the 25 minute podcast they produce. Its excellent and so incredibly approachable, its shear genius. I will listen to one of their podcasts and then read some dry written text about micro or macro economics and suddenly realize, oh, that's exactly what the Planet Money folks were talking about - I totally understand that.

Of course, just because its about money doesn't mean it has nothing to do with politics. They touch on a lot of global issues that directly relate to national and international political realities. Just great stuff.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Off-topic:
    Overpriced, but so good. I love their cheese selection.
    Overpriced indeed, but their sandwiches are easily among the best I've ever had at any deli.

They have an actual restaurant that make's the prices at the deli look like items on McDonald's Extra Value Meal menu though so it's cheap by comparison. Or at least that's what I tell myself when I go.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    So, the Deficit Commission releases its' non-partisan report and.....

Just about every Democrat attacks it. Just about every Republican, just a week ago screaming about deficits, do not comment.....at all.

Hmmmm.......

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Overpriced indeed, but their sandwiches are easily among the best I've ever had at any deli.

They have an actual restaurant that make's the prices at the deli look like items on McDonald's Extra Value Meal menu though so it's cheap by comparison. Or at least that's what I tell myself when I go.
    My wife works for Zingerman's in the catering department, and I very much appreciate it when she brings various goodies home that were sadly too old to sell. Nom nom nom

Apologies for continuing the derail!

I'm still getting to grips with politics in this country compared to the UK. It certainly seems rather nastier and more cut-throat over here!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post

Just about every Democrat attacks it. Just about every Republican, just a week ago screaming about deficits, do not comment.....at all.

Hmmmm.......

Bear
    Hmmm, I haven't seen that. Link??

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by oldy View post
    I'm still getting to grips with politics in this country compared to the UK. It certainly seems rather nastier and more cut-throat over here!
    May just be my perception but it seems like our national politicians are nasty before the elections and relatively civil to each other in Congress whereas yours are civil until elected and then berate each other nastily in Parliament. True?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post

Hmmmm.......

Bear
    I'm becoming more and more convinced that only two things will truly change the course of the US and/or global world. Another Great Depression, or a global war.

God help my children.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm becoming more and more convinced that only two things will truly change the course of the US and/or global world. Another Great Depression, or a global war.

God help my children.
    Well, the Great Recession (which is the worst economic climate since the Great Depression) and the Global War on Terror haven't really managed to change anything, so I don't know why anything slightly worse would.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Well, the Great Recession (which is the worst economic climate since the Great Depression) and the Global War on Terror haven't really managed to change anything, so I don't know why anything slightly worse would.
    By global war I mean nation-states at war, not hunting down suicide bombers.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Well, seeing as there is now almost no demand for USA Treasuries on Worldwide markets and a fast increasing level of talk in international monetary circles of going back to a Worldwide gold standard....

A gold standard would be much like what the Euro is to the individual countries that use it - since their governments do NOT control the supply of Euros, they cannot inflate their way out of their debt crises by 'printing' more of them (and 'printing money' is just a confiscatory flat-rate tax on all cash-based assets). For example, had Greece not been a Euro country, they would have likely added several 'zeros' to their Drachma over the past year or so, and in so doing impoverish their middle class, rather than having to confront their overspending head on with draconian austerity measures. Ditto the USA Dollar and the individual USA states, counties, cities, etc.

One interesting point that someone that I read not long ago made is that based on commodities market prices, the same volume/mass of gold had nearly the exact same buying power 100 years ago (when the USA was on the gold standard and before the Federal Reserve was created) as it does now.

A quick thought on that is that a convenient base unit for a Worldwide gold standard would be the 'gram' (the market price of 1 gram of gold is now about USA$45.25), with the minor division being the 'milligram' (1,000 mg, of course, equals 1 g), slightly under a USA nickel.

One thing that has been noticed in that deficit commission report thing was no mention of Obamacare™ and many other entitlements. IMHO, just that health care disaster alone may well completely collapse the Dollar.

AND, don't get me going on how Mr. Clueless (AKA BHO) is mishandling all of this on the Worldwide stage....

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hmmm, I haven't seen that. Link??
    I just found it... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/us...l.html?_r=1&hp

Interesting take... it cuts military spending, medicare / medicaid spending, and ups the retirement age to 69. It really makes both the left and right mad. And yet it cuts over $4tillion through 2020. Pretty good to me.

I think the Dem's and Repub's need to quit crying and start realizing this is the kind of tough choices that need to be made. Nothing is off the table.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It really makes both the left and right mad.
    That is usually a clue that they are getting something right.

Personally, I'd like to see what would fall to the cutting room floor if Congress actually had to take austerity measures.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    ... One thing that has been noticed in that deficit commission report thing was no mention of Obamacare™ and many other entitlements. IMHO, just that health care disaster alone may well completely collapse the Dollar...

AND, don't get me going on how Mr. Clueless (AKA BHO) is mishandling all of this on the Worldwide stage....
    Care to substantiate such a radical claim with something like facts rather than just making incendiary claims? The relatively modest health insurance reform bill is going to collapse the dollar? It's at least deficit neutral, cuts Medicare fat (an idea Republicans ostensibly once supported before it became a political liability), ensures millions more through privately-provided insurance, and funnels all of those new customers to the existing insurance industry. Please help me trace your logic that such a program - which my simple mind can't conceive having any impact on currency valuation - will cause the collapse of the dollar? Everything Obama does is wrong to some people regardless of the facts. He based his health care reform effort on many ideas earlier espoused by Republicans (including Mitt Romney and Orrin Hatch), yet when Obama executes, it's some socialist plot to take over the economy.

Furthermore, there are reasons it's difficult for Obama to accomplish anything on the international stage. Consider the loss of standing we suffered as a country for ignoring facts, international law, and world opinion to launch two wars that have done nothing to improve our national security. If anyone has the right to criticize Obama's performance internationally, it isn't those of you who twice elected the stubborn, dishonest, warmongering jingoist administration that preceded his.

Yeah, if only the Republicans were still in control, everything would be downright ducky right now.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 189 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 02 Jul 2015, 12:07 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Sep 2013, 8:26 AM
  3. Rules discussion thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 9:37 AM
  4. The non-political political thread