+ Reply to thread
Page 313 of 313 FirstFirst ... 303 312 313
Results 7,801 to 7,804 of 7804

Thread: The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    I heard a good theory for a fix, that would have been doable a decade ago when both sides of the aisle could work together. Reduce the medicare eligible age down to 55 or even 50. This takes the sickest group out of the private pool making its premiums lower and bring younger healthier people into the Medicare pool. Charge the new group in Medicare a premium that reduces each year until 65. This brings statistically healthier people into both pools and should lower premiums. But if such a plan is proposed by one side it will be opposed by the other.
    An added benefit is that it would encourage timely retirements. My dad worked longer than he really needed to or wanted to because he wanted to hit his Medicare eligibility. That, in turn, would improve opportunities deeper into the workforce as more people get promoted to fill those more senior positions. Suddenly you've got seniors being better taken care of, and you've got a more financially healthy younger workforce as well.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    An added benefit is that it would encourage timely retirements. My dad worked longer than he really needed to or wanted to because he wanted to hit his Medicare eligibility. That, in turn, would improve opportunities deeper into the workforce as more people get promoted to fill those more senior positions. Suddenly you've got seniors being better taken care of, and you've got a more financially healthy younger workforce as well.
    I think that is a ton better than what we have now. The only other question is how to we control corporate greed from insurance companies, hospitals, and pharmaceutical companies?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I think that is a ton better than what we have now. The only other question is how to we control corporate greed from insurance companies, hospitals, and pharmaceutical companies?
    Transparency would be really helpful. If everyone was covered, there wouldn't be a need for price discrimination based on payment method, right? So if facilities were required to provide pricing information that was publicly available, that would help a lot. Procedure X costs $3500...

I think even with everyone covered by insurance, there would still be a good basis for that kind of system. Depending on coverage, your out of pocket deductible could vary, so there would still be an incentive for consumers to "shop around" if they know they are in need of certain procedures.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    Transparency would be really helpful. If everyone was covered, there wouldn't be a need for price discrimination based on payment method, right? So if facilities were required to provide pricing information that was publicly available, that would help a lot. Procedure X costs $3500...

I think even with everyone covered by insurance, there would still be a good basis for that kind of system. Depending on coverage, your out of pocket deductible could vary, so there would still be an incentive for consumers to "shop around" if they know they are in need of certain procedures.
    Very true, health care is the only consumer good for which we can price shop. The fees and charges are so, hidden, complicated and variable consumers have no idea. A regulation that providers quote or the price of services, would help immensely. The people that argue against single payer or a mixed system like I mentioned because we need to "let the market work" is ridiculous, there is no free market when consumers cannot shop based upon prices. .
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread
Page 313 of 313 FirstFirst ... 303 312 313

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Jun 2017, 1:24 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Sep 2013, 8:26 AM
  3. Rules discussion thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 9:37 AM