+ Reply to thread
Page 317 of 347 FirstFirst ... 307 316 317 318 327 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,925 of 8656

Thread: The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    So Franken is out. Who is next and what will it take for Moore to step aside?
    Moore won't step aside. Hopefully he'll be defeated, though. http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...try-over-party

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Well 2 more resigned...& they're republicans.

Moore won't step down and I don't think McConnell will keep his word on not allowing Moore to be seated (as he said just a month or so ago).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What Kayla Moore said -

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I've become obsessed with Baron Waqa. I don't know why exactly. Maybe it's because his tiny country doesn't have even half the population my entire rural county does. Maybe it's because Nauru sounds like a planet from Star Trek, or maybe from the Avatar universe. It could be because his Wikipedia picture strikes me as funny. Whatever it may be, I wish the best for President Waqa and his tiny island nation of Nauru.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    What time do the polls close in Alabama? I need to be good and drunk by then.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Probably 8 eastern / 7 Central and I will be on my way to joining you.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post

Drunk isn't going to cut it, if that piece of shit Moore wins.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Moore lost!!!

Started watching the returns about 10 pm. Earlier I'd viewed this piece wherein a reporter for AL.com told Rachel that Moore didn't want to be in public service.

Went to bed happier and more hopeful than I've been in a while. If it can happen in Alabama, it can happen anywhere.

(full disclosure: I am helping on a congressional campaign)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We didn't elect a pedophile! The fact that this is what I have to be proud of in America is a sad day.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    So Franken resigned and was a democrat was appointed. Moore lost (and rightfully so). But will John Conyers resign knowing that he would likely be replaced by a republican? My guess it will be party over doing the right thing. I don't care what letter is behind your name, if you do something like this, you should not be in office. Trump included.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    So Franken resigned and was a democrat was appointed. Moore lost (and rightfully so). But will John Conyers resign knowing that he would likely be replaced by a republican? My guess it will be party over doing the right thing. I don't care what letter is behind your name, if you do something like this, you should not be in office. Trump included.
    Conyers has already resigned. His last day in office was December 5th.

The Governor of Michigan cannot appoint replacements for seats in the House of Representatives (they must be elected). However, Snyder has announced he will not call a special election for Conyers' seat until the regularly scheduled Nov '18 election, leaving Michigan's 13th Congressional District without representation for nearly a year.

I expect that some voter rights group will file a suit against the state to attempt to force them to hold an election sooner than that.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

The Governor of Michigan cannot appoint replacements for seats in the House of Representatives (they must be elected). However, Snyder has announced he will not call a special election for Conyers' seat until the regularly scheduled Nov '18 election, leaving Michigan's 13th Congressional District without representation for nearly a year.

I expect that some voter rights group will file a suit against the state to attempt to force them to hold an election sooner than that.
    Same district has been disenfranchised before, thanks to Snyder's emergency manager shenanigans.

For those following along from elsewhere, it was the governor-appointed EM in Flint who decided to "save money" by switching to the Flint River as a water supply.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

I was not aware that he resigned. But I think that what Snyder is doing is stupid. They should have representation before the end of the day... not the end of the term.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    A tRump judicial nominee couldn't answer simple law questions. This shouldn't surprise me. It's par for the course. But

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Potential thread split ?

What is your take on the current end of net neutrality ?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Potential thread split ?

What is your take on the current end of net neutrality ?
    There's a lively, ah, discussion of it on another board I frequent. The participants are largely split into three camps:

1. No big deal, just moving back to pretty much what we had in 2014.

2. Big deal? Maybe, maybe not - let's see what happens before we rush to judgement.

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    60 Environmental Rules on the Way Out Under Trump
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...imes&smtyp=cur

Planning Related ?
    rules have been overturned
    Flood building standards
    Permit-issuing process for new infrastructure projects
    Planning rule for public lands

rollbacks are in progress
    Wetland and tributary protections

rollbacks are in limbo
    Hazardous chemical facility regulations

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The new seven dirty words
    “Vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”
    "The Trump administration is full of dangerous science deniers who have no business near American public health systems like the CDC,"
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/16/health...rds/index.html

In a turn of events that is just begging to be described as Orwellian (or perhaps Carlin-ian), the Centers for Disease Control has told employees to refrain from using a list of seven words in upcoming budget proposals, according to a Washington Post report.
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ven-words.html

Would love to hear what George Carlin would say about this.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    A women with courage & principle -

DCS director resigns over Indiana kids being placed at risk
    https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...isk/959892001/

"I choose to resign, rather than be complicit in decreasing the safety, permanency and well-being of children who have nowhere else to turn."

warned that anyone hired to replace her will be unsuccessful unless the problems outlined in her letter are resolved.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    The new seven dirty words

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/16/health...rds/index.html

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ven-words.html

Would love to hear what George Carlin would say about this.
    It is insane that we live in a world where words like this could be on a banned words list for a federal agency.

The seven dirty words describing Trump:

-Tyrant
    -Racist
    -Authoritarian
    -Sexist
    -Fearmonger
    -Bastard
    -douchebag

Registered
    Apr 2003
    There is something that I am trying to wrap my mind around and maybe you all can help me.

In 5 or so years, I know the wealthy will still pay less taxes than they do now. But what about the middle and lower income levels. Will we continue to pay less in taxes than we do know. I completely understand that the savings will not be what the wealthy will get, but will it still be less?

The other side of this is what programs and/or departments will they cut to make the budget balance? Or do they not care about balancing the budget?

Registered
    Jun 2011
    There is something that I am trying to wrap my mind around and maybe you all can help me.

In 5 or so years, I know the wealthy will still pay less taxes than they do now. But what about the middle and lower income levels. Will we continue to pay less in taxes than we do know. I completely understand that the savings will not be what the wealthy will get, but will it still be less?

The other side of this is what programs and/or departments will they cut to make the budget balance? Or do they not care about balancing the budget?
    I think the answer is "for a while". A lot of these individual tax cuts are scheduled to expire in 2025, the corporate cuts are a permanent feature. Itemized deductions go away, but the standard deduction doubles (12k for single filers, 24k for couples). The standard deduction goes back to the current rate if it's not extended in 2026.

Even further, in 2021, taxes for those making 30k or less with go UP, and in 2023 those making 40k or less will also see higher taxes. Essentially by 2027, all income levels will pay higher taxes if these individual deductions aren't extended.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I think the answer is "for a while". A lot of these individual tax cuts are scheduled to expire in 2025, the corporate cuts are a permanent feature. Itemized deductions go away, but the standard deduction doubles (12k for single filers, 24k for couples). The standard deduction goes back to the current rate if it's not extended in 2026.

Even further, in 2021, taxes for those making 30k or less with go UP, and in 2023 those making 40k or less will also see higher taxes. Essentially by 2027, all income levels will pay higher taxes if these individual deductions aren't extended.
    When you say go up, are you saying increase from current levels or increase from the reduced levels if the tax plan gets approved?

I guess my biggest question is 5 or 10 years from now, will I pay more in taxes than I do now. (Assuming that I don't get any raises for anything during that time period, but for discussion's sake) Because I think this is the alarming factor here. If we will pay more in taxes in a few years than we did in 2016.... I question why the media is not making this known.

Yes, it would be terrific to save money for a few years, but not if it is going to cost me more in the long run.

More so, there as a photo opp of Trump with two stacks of paper indicating that the tax code is simplified. Is there any truth to that?

Registered
    Jun 2011
    When you say go up, are you saying increase from current levels or increase from the reduced levels if the tax plan gets approved?

I guess my biggest question is 5 or 10 years from now, will I pay more in taxes than I do now. (Assuming that I don't get any raises for anything during that time period, but for discussion's sake) Because I think this is the alarming factor here. If we will pay more in taxes in a few years than we did in 2016.... I question why the media is not making this known.

Yes, it would be terrific to save money for a few years, but not if it is going to cost me more in the long run.
    My interpretation of every article I have read so far is yes, come 2026 or 2027 if the individual standard deductions are not kept in place. Those expire in 2026 and will revert back to the current rate while itemized deductions will largely be removed permanently. I think the GOP expects there to be no issue re-upping the deduction increase (which logically there shouldn't be because it would look good on BOTH parties). It's a shitty tax bill that only really benefits the wealthiest of Americans and corporations long term while shrouding itself in a disguise that makes it appear fair to the middle class and working poor.

+ Reply to thread
Page 317 of 347 FirstFirst ... 307 316 317 318 327 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Jun 2017, 1:24 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Sep 2013, 8:26 AM
  3. Rules discussion thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 9:37 AM
  4. The non-political political thread