Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 72 of 186 FirstFirst ... 62 71 72 73 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 4629

Thread: The NEVERENDING Political Discussion Thread

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Bryk got 2,970 votes in the Indiana 8th Bongressional District primary.

What's funny & sad those voters didn't care or know that Bryk does not even live in Indiana let alone in the 8th District..
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Any thoughts on Tuesday's (2012-05-08) results?

In Indiana, six-term incumbant Republican USSenator Richard Lugar lost his bid for a seventh term to a Tea-Party backed opponent (Richard Mourdock) in his party's primary.

In Wisconsin, there were no surprises in the partisan primaries in the latest round of recall elections, other than IMHO, there was much higher interest on the Republican side than I expected - Incumbent Governor Scott Walker received nearly as many votes against a token 'fake' Republican (a professional leftist protestor from Madison whom he beat by about a 97-3% margin) as the entire slate received on the Democrats' side of the ballot (614K to about 650K with 99% of precincts reporting).

In North Carolina, voters approved a binding state constitution amendment referendum to define a legal marriage in the state as a union between one male and one female.

Mike
    Personally, if Dick Lugar is being called a moderate, the Indiana GOP should be worried. I don't think the Tea Party has the strength or support they did in 2010, and Mourdock is questionable at best. I don't see Indiana voting D anytime soon, but they are put in a much better position to run against Mourdock than Lugar.

I think North Carolina is beyond reprehensible. Sorry those who live there. But that amendment didn't just discriminate against gay people who want to marry, but now civil unions aren't even considered. I just don't understand how people can be so bigoted. You really don't think that two people who love each other, should have ANY rights because they happen to be of the same gender? It is just amazing to me. I look forward to seeing the demographic break downs of the voting in hopes that it is largely the over 60's who voted yes, and the under 40's who voted no. At least that way there is hope that such bigotry will die off sooner than later....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Personally, if Dick Lugar is being called a moderate, the Indiana GOP should be worried. I don't think the Tea Party has the strength or support they did in 2010, and Mourdock is questionable at best. I don't see Indiana voting D anytime soon, but they are put in a much better position to run against Mourdock than Lugar.

I think North Carolina is beyond reprehensible. Sorry those who live there. But that amendment didn't just discriminate against gay people who want to marry, but now civil unions aren't even considered. I just don't understand how people can be so bigoted. You really don't think that two people who love each other, should have ANY rights because they happen to be of the same gender? It is just amazing to me. I look forward to seeing the demographic break downs of the voting in hopes that it is largely the over 60's who voted yes, and the under 40's who voted no. At least that way there is hope that such bigotry will die off sooner than later....
    I would not be surprised if that measure was very popular in the highly religious rural black areas.

Also, from I am seeing here in Wisconsin, yesterday was a very bad day, indeed, for the unions in the state who forced the election in the first place as AFSCME/WEA's hand-picked and backed candidate (former Dane County Executive Kathy Falk) lost in the Democrat primary by a nearly 2-1 margin (58%-34%) - and at a cost to those unions of over $5M.

Mike

In Indiana, six-term incumbant Republican USSenator Richard Lugar lost his bid for a seventh term to a Tea-Party backed opponent (Richard Mourdock) in his party's primary.

In Wisconsin, there were no surprises in the partisan primaries in the latest round of recall elections, other than IMHO, there was much higher interest on the Republican side than I expected - Incumbent Governor Scott Walker received nearly as many votes against a token 'fake' Republican (a professional leftist protestor from Madison whom he beat by about a 97-3% margin) as the entire slate received on the Democrats' side of the ballot (614K to about 650K with 99% of precincts reporting).

In North Carolina, voters approved a binding state constitution amendment referendum to define a legal marriage in the state as a union between one male and one female.

Mike
    Hi Ho a trolling we will go.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I am very upset that the marriage amendment passed here in my home. If you look at the map of votes for and against Amendment one: http://results.enr.clarityelections....?cid=425000010, basically Asheville, Charlotte, Boone and the Triangle all voted against the amendment, but that wasn't enough to overcome the rural vote in this case.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Mike
    Don't know much about cheesehead state politics.

As far as Lugar goes, a turd sandwich could have beaten him in the primary. He had a completely inept campaign, which I guess is to be expected since he hasn't really had to campaign seriously in a couple of decades. He could have learned a lot from how Olympia Snow and John McCain survived attacks from the Tea-Party Right, but failed to adapt.

North Carolina, well, is disappointing but not surprising. But I've been here in Texas and a similar amendment passed here several years ago. I really just don't understand this hatred for LGBTQ that is manifesting itself in these types of amendments. And I'm dismayed not just by the church's positions on it, but HOW they are stating their positions and how they are actively engaged in campaigning.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The elections were very disappointing in several respects here in our piece of NC.

The marriage amendment is just awful - the people are screaming about having less governemnt and getting it out of our lives, but then pass a law thats tells people who they can be with. Talk about irony and forked tongue speak. The result was not surprising however.

The rest of the ballots were pretty disheartening as well.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post

Lugar was apparently convinced that the image of him in DC was the image we Hoosiers have of him, and he was wrong this time. He ran a horrid campaign, dismissing professionals and sticking with DC insider folks. He was out of touch with the indignation some felt about his lack of a residence here (though per several Indiana AGs, that was not a legal issue) and tried to reply to it too late. A lot of people look at him, at age 80, and think he could do the job a while longer, but were not as convinced about him at say, 85 or 86. Certainly the tea partiers had something to do with it, but I think it is more-so the above than the tp.

Let's not forget that Evan Bayh was US Senator for quite some time until he decided not to run last year. Indiana was narrowly carried by President Obama (first time since 1964), so while it does tend R, the right Dems can win. Donnelly is a Blue Dog who could very well pull off an upset especially if he can pull some moderate R votes angry over Lugar's loss or aghast at Mourdock's assertion that HE WILL NOT COMPROMISE.
    Je suis Charlie

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Looks like Lugar just threw Mourdock and the Tea Party under the boss in his concession. That'll give plenty of fodder for Democrats in the fall.

Really, it is too bad about Lugar. He is a good man and a great senator who represented Indiana very well for a long time. I voted for him every time I could.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    And I'm dismayed not just by the church's positions on it, but HOW they are stating their positions and how they are actively engaged in campaigning.
    If a church wants to be involved in politics, they need to pay taxes.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    If a church wants to be involved in politics, they need to pay taxes.
    I can't find it at the moment, but I stumbled upon a document that was produced by an interfaith group in NC that was against Amendment 1 and it had a chart that said yes or no whether a pastor or church could do such things as; have a sermon on the amendment, lobby politicians, make donations, etc. The bottom line, from this pro-gay publication was that pastors and churches had the right to preach on the subject and hold meetings and lobby but couldn't make donations in the name of the church to a political organization or politician.

The sword cuts both ways.

If I find it I will post a link.

Here, page 3; http://www.nccouncilofchurches.org/w..._1_Toolkit.pdf
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Obama supports Same Sex marriage

Oh this is a big one. Can't wait to see what comes from this announcement. Biden and another Obama staffer sort of greased the skids earlier supporting same sex rights and unions, but now the Big Guy has spoken.

His enemies will make hay as a result. The right-wing talking heads will have fodder for a few days. Some folks in his camp may desert. Maybe he might pick up some voters who were wishing he'd get off the fence on the issue.

A lot of married people will just say why shouldn't gay and lesbian couples be as happy ot unhappy as the rest of us.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    Excellent signature Otterpop

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Oh this is a big one.
    It certainly is a big deal, and Romney was quick to say he opposes same sex marriage, so this could be the main issue of the election. I wonder if this helps or hurts Obama. It certainly energizes his base, and energizes the conservatives against him. My take is that it will hurt him, since the people who support same sex marriage (younger generations) vote less.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    WTF - Keith Judd, an inmate in Texas, got 41 percent of the vote in the West Virginia primary.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post

It certainly is a big deal, and Romney was quick to say he opposes same sex marriage, so this could be the main issue of the election. I wonder if this helps or hurts Obama. It certainly energizes his base, and energizes the conservatives against him. My take is that it will hurt him, since the people who support same sex marriage (younger generations) vote less.
    The fact that he took a huge political risk to take a stand of an issue really says a lot about the president's character. I really admire that and hope that other politicans can start thinking less about the election and more about being leaders.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    The kicker is that Romney supported gay marriage before he was against it. His record in Massachusetts on the issue is pretty clear.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    The kicker is that Romney supported gay marriage before he was against it. His record in Massachusetts on the issue is pretty clear.
    Let it not be said Obama is an inept campaigner. There's a reason he won the last election and it's becoming clearer he's going to win this one too.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I said it before and I will say it again. The government needs to get out of regulating or banning any aspect of marriage. Be it same sex or the traditional sense.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    He used to be pro-choice too. The guy has no true convictions and will say anything to get elected.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I said it before and I will say it again. The government needs to get out of regulating or banning any aspect of marriage. Be it same sex or the traditional sense.
    I agree and have stated before that I would eliminate the entire concept of 'marriage' from civil laws, instead regulating the creation, registration, continuance and dissolution of domestic partnerships, leaving the actual institution of 'marriage' to whatever church, temple, mosque, coven or whatever else one professes to.

As for any effects on the election that BHO's (groundbreaking ) announcement will have? IMHO, those who supported Him before will continue to do so and those who did not before will continue to not.

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    I agree and have stated before that I would eliminate the entire concept of 'marriage' from civil laws, instead regulating the creation, registration, continuance and dissolution of domestic partnerships, leaving the actual institution of 'marriage' to whatever church, temple, mosque, coven or whatever else one professes to.

As for any effects on the election that BHO's (groundbreaking ) announcement will have? IMHO, those who supported Him before will continue to do so and those who did not before will continue to not.

Mike
    And for those of us who don't belong to any organized religion? How do we get married? According to your suggestion, we couldn't go to the Justice of the Peace, correct?

The other issue here is upholding the laws that govern rights associated with married couples. That is not something a church or synagogue, etc. can do. Visitation rights, issues of kids, estates, etc. What happens to people's assets when they die? What about divorce? All of these are governed by laws and that is why the government has a role in marriage. And there is a need to define the nature of partnerships to the extent that we need to distinguish a roommate (who should have no right to, say, a dead person's estate or their children) from a real, committed couple who has overtly agreed to such shared rights. Without some kind of legal identifier that two people have agreed to live as a unified household (and I don't care at all what their genders are), these rights to offspring and co-mingled assets become very murky indeed.

As for the President's announcement about gay marriage, I guess I feel that its about time and the right position to have. Is the timing politically motivated? Of course. I wish this stance had been taken earlier, but at least there is a firm position and not a wishy washy, dodgy position that is a moving target. I'm actually surprised that he made this announcement at this point in time. There is a part of me that fears that social conservatives who may not be excited about Romney and would consider just sitting the election out rather than vote for him might be motivated to vote just to oppose this stance. Though times have changed and I don't think this is the wedge issue it once was. Heck, Dick Cheney has endorsed gay marriage - in 2009!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The kicker is that Romney supported ________ before he was against it. His record in Massachusetts on the issue is pretty clear.
    I don't think you need to have any specific wording in there... I would imagine you could really put any word...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    The House just voted to eliminate the American Community Survey...

This is honestly the stupidest thing I've seen come out of this Congress. Good thing Obama and the Senate likely won't let it fly.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The House just voted to eliminate the American Community Survey...

This is honestly the stupidest thing I've seen come out of this Congress. Good thing Obama and the Senate likely won't let it fly.
    I've been following this since the measure was proposed and was upset when it passed yesterday. I work in economic development and use the data from the ACS extensively in everything from marketing materials to building models and producing impact analysis. If it comes into law, it will make this type of work much more difficult and expensive, especially for organizations that do not have the resources to go out and purchase similar data from private providers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't make it far in the Senate.

However, part of me would love for it to pass, and then the Census Bureau, BLS, BEA, etc. all just shut down for a year or so so that those who rely on the data, but don't support its collection, can discover just how important it is for local governments, schools, businesses, etc. Basically, it would be amusing if the folks at the Department of Commerce who oversee all this data collection and dissemination just said a big FU and took everything down except the basic population counts from the Decennial Censuses...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread
Page 72 of 186 FirstFirst ... 62 71 72 73 82 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Sep 2013, 8:26 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Apr 2013, 2:53 PM
  3. Rules discussion thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 9:37 AM
  4. The non-political political thread